1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12
StripesSA1
StripesSA1 Reader
6/2/22 12:18 p.m.
oldeskewltoy said:

Hmmmmm, with a bit of luck...   it'll be ready by it's 50th birthday........

more to come...... smiley

Just to quote, since it is 50 years... June 2022, but we all know the block is still at the rebuilders.... 

Edit to add: Maybe time to move this to the Builds and Project Cars forum? 

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
6/30/22 12:51 p.m.

So I've gleaned this info from Rockauto listings, and a Monroe specification chart.   Rockauto does list a Gas-a-djust for the front of my hardtop, nothing "performance" for the rear.

5804 is for the fronts, 5818 for the rears

This isn't going to be a canyon carver, or a drift machine... spring rates are only slightly stiffer then stock (about 10%).   If they had the gas-a-djust for the rear I'd say good enough........ but they don't list one for the hardtop.

Just noticed...  I never updated this...  I did manage to get myself an RA64 manual rack!

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
6/30/22 1:53 p.m.
oldeskewltoy said:

So I've gleaned this info from Rockauto listings, and a Monroe specification chart.   Rockauto does list a Gas-a-djust for the front of my hardtop, nothing "performance" for the rear.

5804 is for the fronts, 5818 for the rears

This isn't going to be a canyon carver, or a drift machine... spring rates are only slightly stiffer then stock (about 10%).   If they had the gas-a-djust for the rear I'd say good enough........ but they don't list one for the hardtop.

Hmmmm... doing some research on here - https://www.kyb.com/resources/technical-information/dimensions/  and it appears that KG5524 MAY fit the bill for a rear shock as the dimensions*, and approximate mass** are similar....

Mark II rear shock dimensions

compressed - 11.625

extended - 19.375

mounting: pin on top and loop on the bottom, equipped with dust cover

KG5524 (67-69 Camaro with single rear leaf spring)

compressed - 11.85

extended - 19.13

mounting: pin on top and loop on the bottom, equipped with dust cover

only thing I can't confirm are sizes of mounting points - in particular the size of the loop on the bottom mount

Holy crap.............  take a look here..... surprise 

It appears that I can indeed use the Camaro shocks on my Mark II  devil

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/30/22 2:11 p.m.

In reply to oldeskewltoy :

bitchin!

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
8/10/22 10:30 a.m.
oldeskewltoy said:

one more ingredient.....

Mk I Supra disc brake diff......

more to come..... smiley

2 plus years later........ 

It is now time to strip that axle, and get it down to just the case.  I've found someone with the fabrication skills needed to swap the Mark II mounts over to the Supra axle case.  I'll get both axles out and stripped in the next 30 days......

more to come....... 

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
8/12/22 3:39 p.m.

got most of the Supra diff stripped....  (like the homemade slide hammer?)

Next........ get the Mark II diff out from under the Mark II.........

more to come.... smiley

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/22 10:05 p.m.

In reply to oldeskewltoy :

Yes, I do like the homemade slide hammer!

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
8/14/22 11:10 p.m.

so small update....  the 50 year old Japanese bolts, in the 50 year old Japanese bushings all came free with minimal struggle.

I consider that a big win.

Removal will come in about a week or so...  hoping to snag a more secure spot in the shop......... (one where imminent movement isn't an issue)

RKTFiST
RKTFiST New Reader
8/17/22 9:01 p.m.

I don't tend to wander out of the builds forum and only noticed this from your link in the Lit'lphant thread. Hopefully you'll be able to get this together by the close of the year.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
8/27/22 5:50 p.m.
RKTFiST said:

Hopefully you'll be able to get this together by the close of the year.

I don't even think a HUGE pile of cash could get this finished by years end............

On to other news....   The Mark II axle assembly is out...   I'll get the diffs out next week.

The obvious difference - the Supra spring saddles versus no spring saddles as the Mark II springs are on the lower trailing arms.   Less obvious - upper trailing arms are more outboard on the Mark II axle.... Much less obvious is the angle of the track rod mount.   Next week I'll flip them over to get photos from the bottom side.

more to come..... smiley

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
9/5/22 2:53 p.m.
oldeskewltoy said:
RKTFiST said:

Hopefully you'll be able to get this together by the close of the year.

I don't even think a HUGE pile of cash could get this finished by years end............

On to other news....   The Mark II axle assembly is out...   I'll get the diffs out next week.

The obvious difference - the Supra spring saddles versus no spring saddles as the Mark II springs are on the lower trailing arms.   Less obvious - upper trailing arms are more outboard on the Mark II axle.... Much less obvious is the angle of the track rod mount.   Next week I'll flip them over to get photos from the bottom side.

more to come..... smiley

Diffs are now loose...   Lower trailing arm mounts on the Mark II are not as far outward as the Supra mounts......

more to come..... smiley

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
10/6/22 11:06 a.m.

So...  I did something I haven't done in about 25 years........  I bought a model

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
10/7/22 10:01 a.m.
oldeskewltoy said:

I've also been busy ordering suspension parts... 

One of the Aussie guys finishing his restoration has found that the GM bushings (#4 in drawings.....) all failed once weight was put on the suspension...

Looks like I may need to come up with another solution..... sad 

[photos from Facebook... unsure how long they'll remain] 

paddygarcia
paddygarcia GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/7/22 10:07 a.m.

Seems odd for all 4 to fail at once. I wonder if the installer tightened down the bushings before setting the car down.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/7/22 10:18 a.m.

In reply to paddygarcia :

My thoughts exactly. Or maybe they got pressed in by the center and not the outer collar. It's kind of a given that current aftermarket parts are often the lowest possible quality, but to fail like that seems to indicate some kind of installer error.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
10/16/22 12:39 p.m.

So... BaT has one for sale...  "driver"

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-toyota-corona-mark-ii/

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
10/22/22 8:49 p.m.
oldeskewltoy said:

So... BaT has one for sale...  "driver"

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-toyota-corona-mark-ii/

bid upto $10,750... didn't reach reserve.....

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
1/24/23 10:49 a.m.

Finally.........    These guys are doing the axle swap, and are also likely going to be doing the body.  They are Facebook heavy, so if you want to see their work in progress you can follow them here - https://www.facebook.com/brosseauscoachworks

axle swap...  The Supra axle I bought for this project is finally getting swap prepared. 

hopefully.... more to come......

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
1/25/23 11:25 a.m.

That was FAST............

built a jig...

stripped the mounts from the Mark II axle...

welding the mounts on to the Supra axle.

and in just 3 days.... surprise

Shavarsh
Shavarsh HalfDork
1/25/23 12:03 p.m.

Awesome!

FJ40Jim
FJ40Jim Reader
3/3/23 10:29 p.m.

Supra rear axle, you say?

I think I have some of the unobtainium Mk1 Supra rear calipers and pads. You want them?

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
3/3/23 11:52 p.m.
FJ40Jim said:

Supra rear axle, you say?

I think I have some of the unobtainium Mk1 Supra rear calipers and pads. You want them?

sure..... that would be great ty...

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
4/1/23 8:45 p.m.

The Supra axle now carries Mark II mounts......  and is ready for install.  

We inspected the diff, and the ring and pinion there is VERY little wear - that is why the differential was not overhauled at this time.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
4/10/23 7:23 p.m.

Another step... rear trailing arms now reconditioned, with new bushings....

I have to reshape the rear brake line to fit the new mounts, and it all should be ready for re-install...

OH.... and I have a different fellow GRMer looking at 3D printing a set of springs seats in urethane....

This is the original... not all that bad...

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
4/17/23 9:48 a.m.
oldeskewltoy said:

I have to reshape the rear brake line to fit the new mounts, and it all should be ready for re-install...

so while doable.... it looks like E36 M3 (haha - not what I typed).......  You can see where the original mounts had been, and see how we tried to make the old line fit the "new" axle......

so it was decided to make new lines that will fit the axle housing properly.   The original line is 5mm, so  3/16" = 4.8mm, and my shop mate has a flairing kit.   25 feet should be enough......... 

Fun to follow.......

1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
r05vGi0pHM7uchecd22zvrjS1ciELKqkHkZeVcA7CZhEeITvNMVwgLi7Hr0dpK8o