1 2 3
wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
7/7/15 6:17 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: After most issues, I still get an e-mail from Toly.

met him at the Rolex24 yr before last … glad I've had the opportunity

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
7/7/15 6:22 p.m.

Every time I click on this thread I can taste the Geritol

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
7/7/15 6:52 p.m.

I'm only 31, but my wife says I act like I'm 80 and I look like I'm 20

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
7/7/15 7:17 p.m.

Speaking of Geritol - true story. Back in the late 70s or early 80s, Paul Newman and Jim Fitzgerald were driving 280ZXs for Bob Sharp, I forget if it was TransAm or IMSA. Newman liked to tell the story that he had the great idea that, since he and Fitzgerald were both silver-haired, that Geritol would be a great sponsor for the team. They were turned down - too old for the target market.

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/8/15 8:38 a.m.
dean1484 wrote: Well dam I am feeling pretty dam good now. I am just a youngster around here.

Yeah Dean, but you are very high mileage

Kia_Racer
Kia_Racer Dork
7/8/15 8:48 a.m.

I am a mere 53. I met Toly at Hallet for the Basackwards race. He was driving an Opel GT, at the time the Morgan was getting the engine rebuilt. Great guy, we talked until he had to get to the grid.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
7/8/15 11:18 a.m.

There is an autocrosser in our region named Bruce Abbott who is 83 years young. An old roundy-round guy, he still thrashes his rides thoroughly. At the last Palm Bay event, he brought out his Bill Elliott special, an '88 T-bird done up in full Coors livery.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
7/8/15 11:53 a.m.
Argo1 wrote:
dean1484 wrote: Well dam I am feeling pretty dam good now. I am just a youngster around here.

And he certainly wasn't garage kept

pirate
pirate Reader
7/9/15 8:47 a.m.

I have a 69 year old body with a 40 year old head. Still working full time because I like it and hopefully will result in brain not turning to mush. Have a BMW Z4 Si and a 7s type toy. Looking for another project car but not sure what I want yet.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man HalfDork
7/9/15 9:43 a.m.

Just remember that with age comes wisdom, something that I haven't acquired yet.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/9/15 11:30 a.m.

In reply to G_Body_Man:

Admitting it shows you have more than you realize.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man HalfDork
7/9/15 11:36 a.m.
petegossett wrote: In reply to G_Body_Man: Admitting it shows you have more than you realize.

Thank you. I've been trying to be a more honest, more mature version of myself recently.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
7/9/15 11:51 a.m.
G_Body_Man wrote: Just remember that with age comes wisdom, something that I haven't acquired yet.

Old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance.

something to keep in mind

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
7/9/15 1:24 p.m.
jstein77 wrote: There is an autocrosser in our region named Bruce Abbott who is 83 years young. An old roundy-round guy, he still thrashes his rides thoroughly. At the last Palm Bay event, he brought out his Bill Elliott special, an '88 T-bird done up in full Coors livery.

I know Bruce He summers not far from me. I met him at an autocross at an old kart track. He drives the p*** out of a clapped out 240Z. Been doing it for several years. Great guy.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
7/9/15 1:27 p.m.
wbjones wrote:
G_Body_Man wrote: Just remember that with age comes wisdom, something that I haven't acquired yet.
Old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance. something to keep in mind

I used that saying when I was ice racing. It worked.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Dork
7/9/15 2:07 p.m.

A couple of years ago I helped an elderly gentleman find his car in a parking lot. When he asked how old I thought he was I figured I'd be amusing guess way high so I said "105". His response? "Close, I'm 103."

Good for you dude but jeebus that's OLD!

(he was driving a beige Kia BTW, be warned)

ronbros9
ronbros9 New Reader
7/9/15 3:54 p.m.

donno if i qualify, but May 8 1934, makes me 81 yrs old! i my garage pet is a Jaguar roadster V12 with open pipes!

YUP, at 7000 revs it sounds like a scream.

Don49
Don49 HalfDork
7/9/15 5:39 p.m.

I know Bruce Abbot from many years ago. He had a 59 Turner and named his son Turner!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/15 8:18 p.m.
Don49 wrote: I know Bruce Abbot from many years ago. He had a 59 Turner and named his son Turner!

I looked at a '59 Turner race car last week. I wonder if it was the same car. There weren't that many of them.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/9/15 8:19 p.m.

Ralph Bush, who has been in our mag, is 80 and still races. He drives a silver Thunder Roadster with NASA. Super-nice guy.

Bruce Abbot is a hoot. He'll visit our office every now and then.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
7/9/15 9:03 p.m.

There's this local guy uses his age as his autocross car number. This year his car number is 84. He drives an NA Miata and his number plate states "Aging Racefully".

chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
7/9/15 9:04 p.m.

One of the reasons I like going to Hallett is getting to see Eddie Hill who will turn 80 next year. He's an Ariel Atom dealer and he puts his around the track at a near untouchable pace. By that I mean untouchable by most of the other real race cars. I'm 67 and use a mildly-tuned Cobalt SS for track days.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/9/15 9:06 p.m.

Eddie Hill is a member of our community, you know? We need to do a podcast or something with him.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/15 10:13 p.m.
Argo1 wrote:

Ya... . . I have never been one to take care of the package things come in.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
7/10/15 6:51 a.m.
wlkelley3 wrote: There's this local guy uses his age as his autocross car number. This year his car number is 84. He drives an NA Miata and his number plate states "Aging Racefully".

similar .. my car # is the age I was when I started … 55

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JF3oyqqAlxcmW5Xq9ZntUZ3N6HoMqNvNU1N7SccEMXz23bbWblanfM9t8qp3cQPu