1 2 3
mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/30/16 9:20 a.m.
Flight Service wrote: Mustang, Mazdaspeed6, CTS-V, ZHP, and for a true odd ball, Volvo C30?

Mustang is on the list. Not really interested in the Speed six. Seems more like a GT car in every way and I have enough of those. I'm not at all confident I wouldn't grenade the rear on a CTSV doing rallycross, though it would be super fun. Not excited about the exceptionally long list of needy things ZHP's seem to need. The C30 is interesting. I don't ever see them down here.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/30/16 11:00 a.m.

C30 = Gen 2 Focus ST (Non US version) with crappy brakes. I wouldn't want to track that without a complete swap out to MS3 brakes at a minimum. MS3 is better than the Volvo for that purpose.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/30/16 11:12 a.m.

Interesting. Cross that off the list then. The MS3 is not a car on my list for a variety of reasons. I'll put the C30 in that same group.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/30/16 11:45 a.m.
captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/30/16 11:49 a.m.
KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
3/30/16 11:51 a.m.

In reply to captdownshift: The Ranger is a 4 cylinder with 33" tires and "runs strong"?? LOL

But the Mustang looks good for a track toy.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
3/30/16 12:57 p.m.

V6, manual trans, New Edge Mustang. Seriously cheap if you don't mind having a Mustang without a V8. It wouldn't work for me, but for your purposes the power to weight ratio should be in the right ball park. Not as much of a momentum car, but not enough horsepower to cover sloppiness?

I'll admit I haven't read all the responses, but I did see "Mustang" in general mentioned quite a bit.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/30/16 1:20 p.m.

In reply to Petrolburner:

That's actually an interesting idea. It's a GS autocross car, a NASA TTF car, and could run good tires in stock rear for RX but.......the internet says no LSD in any of them. That makes RX a lot less fun.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/30/16 1:22 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift:

When I get the itch to just get something interesting, I'm hiring you to shop for me. I'm pretty sure I could hand you a stack of cash and be happy with whatever set of keys you show up with.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/30/16 2:18 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: the internet says no LSD in any of them. That makes RX a lot less fun.

You can make up for the fun lost due to lack of LSD in rallyx by simply entering all turns 5 MPH faster.

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
3/30/16 2:25 p.m.

What about a Subaru Impreza? Plenty of parts for those and awd.

McTinkerson
McTinkerson Reader
3/30/16 2:27 p.m.

Has the RX-8 been mentioned yet? Everyone knows they like Auto-X. They also like Rally-X:

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/30/16 2:38 p.m.
92dxman wrote: What about a Subaru Impreza? Plenty of parts for those and awd.

Having driven enough of them, I don't really like the driving dynamics. They're faster, but the way you drive them to make them faster isn't nearly as interesting as RWD, or even FWD. They also tend to be a bit explodey among the group I run with.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/30/16 2:44 p.m.
McTinkerson wrote: Has the RX-8 been mentioned yet? Everyone knows they like Auto-X. They also like Rally-X:

I was looking at these on CL today. Kind of half way between a Mustang and a Miata with an engine that runs on theory and wishes. I think owning an RX7 currently makes me want one less than I would if I didn't.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
3/30/16 2:59 p.m.

insofar as mustangs;

at the $5k price range I would consider the following

99-04 GT (265hp, has traction control, bit rougher mod path if more power is saught)
89-95 GT (yes across two chassis, but all have the 5.0L 215ish hp, but easy NA mods)

You might find a ratty 96-98 Cobra at that price point, 305 stock HP and the mod path for much more is difficult ($4k blower for 450hp)

the path I would take is camber plates, koni or bilstien shocks, a big front swaybar (addco), maybe H&R race or even super-race springs, and a panhard rod for the rear axle.

Plus a nice set of pads at least.

should be fun, capable, and not break the bank overmuch.

I know that my 97 cobra gets about 20mpg. You may also face having to rebuild the stock LSD every year or every other year ($70ish in parts) unless you upgrade to a torsen or other mechanical LSD type.

I also have a Miata and it is a better car for teaching than the mustang. The Miata is very precise and the lack of power makes mistakes show. The mustang has power to make mistakes less apparent, can get you in more trouble quickly if you dont respect it, and comparatively is a car you have to grab by the skruff of the neck and make it do what you are asking of it. That said, it makes fun V8 sounds and the power is cathardic.

Consumables are much cheaper on the Miata, price 205/50/15's (size my STS miata wears) vs 275/40/17 or 245/45/17 (the 275 is the 17x9 fitment and there isnt much in the way of great tires in that size)

As far as auto-x classing... you have STP and CAM to consider in addition to ESP with the additional savings of them being street tire classes.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
3/30/16 3:04 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote:
McTinkerson wrote: Has the RX-8 been mentioned yet? Everyone knows they like Auto-X. They also like Rally-X:
I was looking at these on CL today. Kind of half way between a Mustang and a Miata with an engine that runs on theory and wishes. I think owning an RX7 currently makes me want one less than I would if I didn't.

Most everyone I know with one lost the engine right around 100k miles

kanaric
kanaric Dork
3/30/16 3:16 p.m.

350Z or do you need back seats?

That was my first sporty car and learned a lot on it.

Get an older car that doesn't have abs to teach them how to brake properly lol. Z31 300ZX maybe?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/30/16 3:17 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: In reply to Petrolburner: That's actually an interesting idea. It's a GS autocross car, a NASA TTF car, and could run good tires in stock rear for RX but.......the internet says no LSD in any of them. That makes RX a lot less fun.

For those of us just looking for a track day car, is there a junkyard LSD that you can swap into the V6 Mustang fairly easily?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/30/16 3:30 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

I just had a GRM thread up this morning (that I can't find now) that said there was a Ranger and maybe a Crown Vic LSD that would swap in. Someone more knowledgeable should chime in soon.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/30/16 9:45 p.m.

Everyone I speak to on the RX-8 says think long wheelbase Miata with magic triangles.

Seems like an LS swap away from sweet sweet memories

Jambo
Jambo New Reader
3/30/16 10:02 p.m.

I know one person already said it, but why not a camaro or firebird?

$5k will easily net you an lt1 with a six speed, and a grand or two more would get you into Ellis Juan territory.

If you just want a v6, then those are only a couple grand.

Double a-arms up front with a rack and pinion, three (?) Link in the back with a panhard rod, plus I think 31s are in the ballpark for rear tires.

You won't not be not loving it in no time!

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/31/16 6:01 p.m.

Actually wouldn't a non-stripped Spec E30 pretty much nail this?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
w4JE5uzirJxQmRyWb0j9e3kD8oZ0znMslbgT44C1zP7iaFGFnIK07X3ISlGRBIds