1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 74
nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
9/14/18 12:12 a.m.
chandler
chandler PowerDork
9/15/18 6:40 a.m.
pinchvalve said:

I tried to like this a couple times before I realized I had probably liked when originally posted. Mmmm Mercedes flares.

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/18/18 10:03 a.m.

well I misremembered that the Urraco Bob had box flares but since I spent the time tracking it down I'm posting it here anyway.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
11/17/18 10:58 p.m.

Wxdude10 - Mike
Wxdude10 - Mike Reader
1/31/19 10:03 a.m.

I saw this on Daily Turismo...

Widebody Wagon - 2000 BMW 540i 6 Speed

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/31/19 10:04 a.m.
Wxdude10 - Mike said:

I saw this on Daily Turismo...

Widebody Wagon - 2000 BMW 540i 6 Speed

OK, you got me with this one.  Nice.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/1/19 3:39 p.m.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
2/2/19 12:15 p.m.

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
3/20/19 7:15 p.m.
Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
4/4/19 5:48 p.m.

One more example of how box flares make everything awesomer:

Not sure if this proves or disproves the above...

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
4/4/19 8:02 p.m.
Rodan said:

with a few minor mods, I'd daily it. First off, remove the LED bar up top.

RealMiniNoMore
RealMiniNoMore PowerDork
4/4/19 8:09 p.m.
Indy-Guy said:
Rodan said:

with a few minor mods, I'd daily it. First off, remove the LED bar up top.

And then try to cover the snails.... somehow.. 

I'd rock the hell out of that. 

mke
mke Reader
4/5/19 6:22 a.m.
pinchvalve said:

Its hard not to LOVE this pic....look at the tires on that thing!

Aspen
Aspen HalfDork
4/5/19 7:31 a.m.

In reply to RealMiniNoMore :

That splitter looks really good to me!

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
4/5/19 8:11 a.m.

Even a Mustang II looks good in box flares. This is Mississippi's own Charlie Kemp whose car was ultimately  banned from IMSA  because his car was too damn fast.  He showed up at 1976 24 (6) hour Dayton and IMSA declared illlegal...Bill France stepped in and told IMSA if they didn't let it run he would cancel race.  Basically was a dirt track style tube frame.  Unequal A arm front suspension and straight axle rear with Franklin quick change rear.  Only Mustang II stock part was windshield and metal fast back roof.  Ran 221 mph at Daytona on high banks in 1976.   First outing at Road Atlanta broke track record by over 1 second.  I've gone over this car in person and it's amazingly simple and elegant. Bereft of the'glass fenders the car is surprisingly tiny.

Interesting bit of trivia. Kemp teamed up with Mark Donohue in late 74 to build a Monza based IMSA car. When Donahue was killed in 1975 funding dried up so Kemp went to Ford and changed the plans to run a Mustang 

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
4/5/19 8:14 p.m.

You can see how "primitive" Mustang II chassis was...very much like a dirt track chassis.  Engine on other hand was a somewhat exotic 351 from Ford skunkworks putting around 650 NA hp to wheels.

Crackers
Crackers Dork
4/5/19 11:23 p.m.
Nick Comstock said:
pinchvalve said:

That's just not good.

It's that car you see at a show or in the pits and avoid looking at it as you walk by in hopes the owner doesn't try to talk to you about it. LOL

Crackers
Crackers Dork
4/5/19 11:25 p.m.
MulletTruck said:

@mustangkyle Mustang mid box flare build. His Instagram has the build of this car.

I think I saw a YouTube video of this car. Did this ultimately get the roof stretched (poorly) into a sort of shooting brake? 

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
4/6/19 11:40 a.m.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/6/19 11:45 a.m.
Ovid_and_Flem said:

Even a Mustang II looks good in box flares. This is Mississippi's own Charlie Kemp whose car was ultimately  banned from IMSA  because his car was too damn fast.  He showed up at 1976 24 (6) hour Dayton and IMSA declared illlegal...Bill France stepped in and told IMSA if they didn't let it run he would cancel race.  Basically was a dirt track style tube frame.  Unequal A arm front suspension and straight axle rear with Franklin quick change rear.  Only Mustang II stock part was windshield and metal fast back roof.  Ran 221 mph at Daytona on high banks in 1976.   First outing at Road Atlanta broke track record by over 1 second.  I've gone over this car in person and it's amazingly simple and elegant. Bereft of the'glass fenders the car is surprisingly tiny.

Interesting bit of trivia. Kemp teamed up with Mark Donohue in late 74 to build a Monza based IMSA car. When Donahue was killed in 1975 funding dried up so Kemp went to Ford and changed the plans to run a Mustang 

IIRC, that's a Bob Riley design, and the reason why it was "banned" wasn't because it was "too fast", but when they asked for a ruleset, they were given a very thin pamphlet of guidelines, so Riley built this.  When they showed up to the first race, suddenly there was a phone book of regulations that they'd never been told about.

Or I might be thinking of a different car...

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
4/6/19 12:47 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

No...i think you're correct.  I know riley was involved at some point.  My too fast comment was tongue in cheek.wink

Have you seen it in the flesh?  I was shocked at how small roll cage tubing was. And how thin glass body panels were.

Sidewayze
Sidewayze New Reader
4/7/19 9:36 a.m.
Nick Comstock said:

This just seems so right  

Absolutely right..... 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
4/12/19 12:28 p.m.

Well, it's a box, and it has flares... wink

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
4/12/19 11:01 p.m.

This is my favorite thread.  I get excited when I see a new post here like when Project Binky has an update, Petrolicious has another old straight 6 video or MCM posts a new episode

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/13/19 7:14 a.m.

1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 74

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pZeEpQ5tzI1BQxBfTlLxtvOp8ny24n8v7bhY9hlQ8PgKNZi9yY3clzVTTxJQVPdy