Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/1/19 10:21 a.m.

I finally did a ton of overdue maintenance to our new-to-us 2006 Audi A4 Quattro 2.0T, and the oil change was cringe-inducing. Have a watch yourself: Project Audi Dos. We ended up just slapping oil back in, going another week and doing an engine flush from Liqui-Moly and and another oil change. It was gnarly!

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 HalfDork
5/1/19 12:26 p.m.

The oil will drain a lot faster if you take the filler cap offwink

Javelin
5/1/19 12:31 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Is that an Audi thing? I've never had to do that before. It did shoot a sludge ball out the second drain.

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
5/1/19 12:37 p.m.

Crankcases are vented, so pulling the fill cap makes no difference in any engine I've ever touched.  

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/1/19 1:58 p.m.

depends on the venting strategy.   definitely makes a difference on some.

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/1/19 2:00 p.m.

I take the fill cap off before I drain so I refill it. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 HalfDork
5/1/19 6:02 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Not neccessarily an Audi thing. Like Angry says, some do it, some are vented well enough that it makes no diff. Before 1963 all were vented well enough it never made a diff.

Javelin
5/1/19 6:48 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

I've owned over 150 and worked on probably over 1000. I have never had to do that on any of them. If there's not enough air sucking in to allow the oil to drain then I would suspect that the PCV system is not functioning correctly. Now my experience does tend to piddle out a lot around the mid-00's, but still...

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
5/1/19 7:19 p.m.

This calls for a race! I’ve got money on removing filler cap.

Javelin
5/1/19 7:25 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel again :

Bwahahahaaa!! I'll have to buy two identical cars and do it real-time!

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
5/1/19 8:23 p.m.
Javelin said:

Any excuse to buy a car, huh Jav. 

Javelin
5/1/19 9:12 p.m.
DrBoost said:
Javelin said:

Any excuse to buy a car, huh Jav. 

I don't even need excuses anymore.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
5/1/19 10:19 p.m.

This is a somewhat hilarious follow-up to the other thread. I just did a 10k mile oil change on our Cayenne but it holds 10qts of expensive 10-60w and it still looked pretty good. I had to do some work on a friend's car recently when it started clattering. He had left the same oil in it for 30k as evidenced by the date and mileage being written on the oil filter in sharpie. His cam phaser is now permanently noisy and he's looking for another car rather than installing a used engine as i recommended. He still denies that he left the same oil in it for 30k, and I haven't bothered telling him about the proof written on the bottom of the engine. One time I took a valve cover off a 75k mile Dakota and literally found a valve-cover shaped bundt cake of carbon.  At least you changed it when you did!

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/2/19 12:15 a.m.

Nearly every car I’ve done an oil change on has had the oil flow faster with the oil cap off.

Very few have had PCV issues ( the turbo dodge cars always had PCV issues unless you fixed them properly)

There’s a difference between pushing some air around and some multi-weight oil in terms of how quickly air is able to backfill the engine block via the PCV through the air box, etc.  

Look at the size of the average PCV valve compared to the size of the average oil file cap, huge difference and the path the air takes is much less convoluted.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/2/19 12:51 a.m.

FWIW Ive always taken the cap off and its always made a difference in the cars ive owned.

Its not squirt gun vs firehose level of different, but it is a difference

chandler
chandler PowerDork
5/2/19 8:28 a.m.

I work on semis and anything with a drop in oil filter goes from a trickle to a fire hose with the filter out and cap off. Crazy amount of difference.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
5/2/19 8:35 a.m.

Dude, are those amazon affiliate links?  Promoting your youtube page is one thing, but that's just shameless.

Javelin
5/2/19 8:36 a.m.

In reply to chandler :

Hmmm. The only other cartridge filter motor I've messed with us the 2.3 in my Mazda5's. I'll try taking the cap off next time it's due for a change. I've never noticed it being slow, but now I'm intrigued.

Javelin
5/2/19 8:39 a.m.
2002maniac said:

Dude, are those amazon affiliate links?  Promoting your youtube page is one thing, but that's just shameless.

I just started Amazon affiliate on my YouTube and the links are in the description. Is that not okay? Should I take them off? I've never monetized it but it's also getting expensive and time consuming to keep making videos so I was trying to find a way to help out a bit.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
5/2/19 9:15 a.m.
2002maniac said:

You mean on his Youtube video description? It is not a big deal, dude. It's not like he's spamming posts here with them.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
5/2/19 9:30 a.m.

No, I just mean on the posts here. It just seemed bit spammy to me. Looks like he removed the links that were in the OP. 

I totally support affiliate links in the youtube description.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rXidAIWOjoWx6t0xDclkDUFVLkYdqyKAd4dXxC1ywswXb6q800giCtx8R6suXzoo