1 2
Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
7/30/12 8:52 a.m.

The 911 is instantly recognizable, a stout performer and has eons of racing pedigree. Are they affordable? We explore the options in the sub-$20,000 range.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/practical-porsche/

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
7/30/12 11:43 a.m.

Yes. Done.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UltraDork
7/30/12 12:16 p.m.

one 964, please.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke HalfDork
7/30/12 12:55 p.m.

964 with a slant nose front end for me!

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker UltimaDork
7/30/12 12:58 p.m.
clutchsmoke wrote: 964 with a slant nose front end for me!

Yuck.

Yellowbird or turbo valence with splitter for me please.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/30/12 1:24 p.m.

Not even close for 20K but I would like one of these please.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/30/12 1:34 p.m.
Rusted_Busted_Spit wrote: Not even close for 20K but I would like one of these please.

Cool color! Thanks for sharing.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
7/30/12 1:40 p.m.

I think it's name is "Frog".

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke HalfDork
7/30/12 2:02 p.m.

In reply to Rusted_Busted_Spit:

I like your style sir.

yamaha
yamaha Reader
7/30/12 2:07 p.m.

To each their own I suppose......I can't stand the look of the slant nose. I prefer the arched fenders and fixed lamps

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/30/12 2:20 p.m.

Between Woodys Targe thread, this article and the fact that my wife likes the way 911s look ...., but do I want to forgo an Elise in favor of a Porsche?

singleslammer
singleslammer Reader
7/30/12 2:49 p.m.

Started looking at these a little and think that a 996 carrera is actually closing in the same price as the 80s 911 and definitely the carreras. Thoughts on those verses, say, an 87 Carrera G50?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/12 2:53 p.m.

The 996 is actually cheaper than a Carrera 3.2. The 996 has some engine issues that have caused the values to plummet.

singleslammer
singleslammer Reader
7/30/12 3:16 p.m.

Yeah, I remember that. Something having to deal with Porous metals causing engine failure.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/30/12 3:23 p.m.

The conventional wisdom on the 996 is that the higher-mileage ones are probably okay or they would have puked by now. Any thoughts on that?

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/30/12 6:39 p.m.

Interesting article. I'm a little puzzled by the "not a Miata killer" comment. On what planet? I've had a number of older Porsches as DD. They are great for the duty. Practical, economical, reliable, and fun. The rap on Porsche parts is overblown. Shop a bit. Plus Porsches rarely break with resonable care. Want to add upgrade goodies to it? Bring your wallet. The upside is that I have sold each car for more than I paid for it when I was ready to move on. Can't ask for more than that.

David S. Wallens
7/30/12 6:52 p.m.
Argo1 wrote: Interesting article. I'm a little puzzled by the "not a Miata killer" comment.

Just meaning that an older Porsche 911 might not outrun a Miata around an autocross course, all else being equal. It might, it might not. Either way, that's not what this article is about. It's about the driving experience.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
7/30/12 10:56 p.m.
Just meaning that an older Porsche 911 might not outrun a Miata around an autocross course,

Must resist Toyota Camry comment.. nah just kidding.

Looks like a lot of fun for new car money. This does not surprise me.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/30/12 11:45 p.m.
Rusted_Busted_Spit wrote: Not even close for 20K but I would like one of these please.

It's like owning an FB, but with a cantankerous, funny-sounding engine.

Wait a minute.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/31/12 8:09 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
clutchsmoke wrote: 964 with a slant nose front end for me!
Yuck. Yellowbird or turbo valence with splitter for me please.

Give me an 80s turbo look with a long nose conversion to "S" specs..

Early bumpers, early hood, euro lights, wide fenders, no spoiler, and a tiny little lip splitter under the bumper... tasty

David S. Wallens
7/31/12 9:04 a.m.

See, that's another thing I like about the 911: everyone had their own preference. Choose your poison: Yellow Bird, Carrera RS, ST, slope-nose, IROC, narrow-body, 911S, etc., etc.

oldtin
oldtin SuperDork
7/31/12 9:25 a.m.
Knurled wrote: It's like owning an FB, but with a cantankerous, funny-sounding engine. Wait a minute.

Out of the piles of cars I've owned, the 911s were the ones that always started and got me where I wanted to go. Pretty easy to work on and maintenance parts were very reasonable.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
7/31/12 9:33 a.m.

I like dis:

My wallet doesn't.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker UltimaDork
7/31/12 9:37 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: I like dis: My wallet doesn't.

Sooooo sexy. I would love to something similar to the front clip of my 964.

Any ideas on where one might find a lower valence/bumper/lip like that?

singleslammer
singleslammer Reader
7/31/12 10:38 a.m.

In reply to Tyler H: I would rock a 99 or 00 carrera. It needs a GT3 bumper for me to enjoy looking at it but the funny head lights are ok and the price is right. Hmmm.... Doesn't seem to be many takers on the 996 conversation. Perhaps a new thread is needed?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZSNehME0uQF8l1E7Fwok34RIQOpHCOISAmRRuN4uG7sDIVzVFjbLz7Pm0nRYm3ZI