1 2 3
java230
java230 Reader
12/16/15 11:31 a.m.

In reply to sachilles:

Really?! I was under the impression SUV was a no go. Think they would let me run this beast? Its in need of some good hooing

20151115_121536

former520
former520 Reader
12/16/15 11:40 a.m.

I ran as a co-driver in an open class Tacoma in 2010. We did well in both events, but better over the season as we finished every event. It was a built 2.7, reg cab, short bed. While it did not match the speeds of the boost buggies, it was flawless all season without failure.

Jim Cox built exactly what you are a talking about years ago and ran it out of MN. Very cool truck that went through a few revisions.

I do not recall if Jim Pierces out of LA areas truck was open and awd or group 5 and rwd.

There is also a grand cherokee that showed up a few times. I don't recall how it did.

There is definitely precedent for your idea. I think the competitiveness will depend on the region. In the SW the roads are rough and tough is better than speed. Other areas that are smoother would reward the outright quickness over the durability.

edizzle89
edizzle89 HalfDork
12/16/15 11:41 a.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: I think the Olds Bravada versions only came with AWD if you want to start with this odd and retired badge.

the bravada you want is 97 or older for real AWD, they are the same drivetrain as a typhoon but 4 doors instead of 2, the V8 swap isnt any different then doing it in a 4wd s10/blazer so all the parts are out there and cheap.

or if you want to do a s10 just swap the bravada transfer case (Borg Warner 4472) into a 4wd s10 and its the same recipe, i think you also need the bravada front driveshaft too

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/16/15 12:54 p.m.

Nissan pulsar gti-r with a 5.6 V8 swap from a Titan.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/16/15 1:00 p.m.

Metro 6r4 done.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb HalfDork
12/16/15 1:12 p.m.

Souped up LS power hooked up to a s10 front axle and then beat mercilessly. Yeah, no way that's going to grenade on you. The Chevy ifs wasn't a bad setup when used in normal driving conditions, but they won't tolerate abuse.

NickD
NickD Reader
12/16/15 1:14 p.m.

Subaru SVX. Even if the fragile auto trans keeps you from getting wins, the double glass windows will get you all the ladiez.

And I found one on Trax. I will never look at these cars the same way again

sachilles
sachilles UltraDork
12/16/15 1:20 p.m.

I really didn't need to see the SVX on tracks.

NickD
NickD Reader
12/16/15 1:24 p.m.

In reply to sachilles:

It's amazing, right?

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/16/15 1:30 p.m.

1UZ in the back of a matrix

sachilles
sachilles UltraDork
12/16/15 1:37 p.m.
NickD wrote: In reply to sachilles: It's amazing, right?

It is....and I hang out with and work with too many people that could make it a reality......this could be trouble.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
12/16/15 1:39 p.m.

2wd mk2 Golf..

NickD
NickD Reader
12/16/15 1:41 p.m.
sachilles wrote:
NickD wrote: In reply to sachilles: It's amazing, right?
It is....and I hang out with and work with too many people that could make it a reality......this could be trouble.

It's either a bad idea in a good way, or a good idea in a bad way. Hard to tell.

There's a Chevy Tracker in my area on a set of these tracks and I once saw it come flying across a snow-covered field at about 45mph. It was greater than the other 99% of all Trackers.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
12/16/15 8:46 p.m.

While you could do well in events with perhaps a Tacoma or something (by finishing and not getting damaged), there's really nothing else out there in the open (AWD) class that is going to compete with the Subies and Evos, realistically. You know what Rally America and NRS results are in recent years, and it's pretty obvious. If there was some oddball/inexpensive/reliable AWD silver bullet, someone probably would have found it by now.

The only thing I can really think of is a DSM or Galant GS-R or a Lancia Delta (legal for import now!).....but at the modification it would take them to hang with the SubEvos, you probably wouldn't ever finish an event, lol. And of course they aren't NA either, so nevermind.

Also, I may be mistaken, but I think RA and/or NRS just changed the language regarding engine swaps, allowing non-marque engines in open. Thoguht I saw that recently, though I didn't pay much attention to it since I'll be running G2 with you this year.

Saw e30 IX mentioned....ZERO chance it would compete with them. IXs are probably slower than RWD e30s if what I've seen at rallycross holds true. Plus they use a lot of different parts from regular e30s and spares can be an issue. And you hate e30s anyhow, so that's automatically out.

Curious as to the "why" of this question. Already tired of the RX7? Or are you looking for a redux of the rallycross Mustang and all of its frustrations by finding something oddball? Or is this just a "for fun" discussion...

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UberDork
12/16/15 9:02 p.m.

Aren't there AWD Cadillac CTSs?

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
12/16/15 9:17 p.m.

Btw...Chris you've seen Berk's H6-swapped Impreza at rallycross. I'd bet that it would do extremely well on stage...great power, AWD, N/A, and reliable.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/16/15 10:01 p.m.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
12/17/15 4:39 a.m.
irish44j wrote: Curious as to the "why" of this question. Already tired of the RX7? Or are you looking for a redux of the rallycross Mustang and all of its frustrations by finding something oddball? Or is this just a "for fun" discussion...

Just for fun, I like to daydream- but maybe someday...

Storz
Storz Dork
12/17/15 9:58 a.m.

I've always loved the Envoy Pike Peak truck

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/17/15 10:03 a.m.

Comanche Rally Truck? Maybe add a procharger?

Type Q
Type Q Dork
12/17/15 10:25 a.m.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse HalfDork
12/17/15 10:35 a.m.

This is why somebody needs to challenge the Subaru to AWD wars. They can't be the OnLY company making rally worthy vehicles! In ten years will will all be stuck rally racing cvt hybrid imprezas!!!!!!!! And nobody wants that to happen! Mitsubishi tried, but lost the intergalactic war with the Pleiades. (Ask me more about my insane conspiracy about the space war that was settled on our planet.)

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse SuperDork
12/17/15 10:53 a.m.

Another vote for the s-10/s-15 chassis. Before we got rid of the wife's Jimmy, I used to rallycross it around my backyard. Despite being kinda stupidly heavy (2 door Jimmy weighs around 3800 lbs IIRC) and having a 180 horse Vortec V6, in 4-HI it would plow furrows in the yard- including some pretty steep grades with off-camber downhill turns. It was a blast.

The thing about them is they use a torsion bar front suspension, which is kinda good but can be hard to lower and stiffen. There's other 4x4 compact pickups out there with CV joint IFS which is really what you're after. Possibly a 2 door Exploder with a Thunderbird IRS swapped in place of the 8.8, and a worked-up 302 up front.

In rallycross, like everything else, it's 10% car and 90% driver. A good driver could really wring a decent lap out of a well-prepped mini 4x4 SUV.

pushrod36
pushrod36 Reader
12/17/15 11:29 a.m.
irish44j wrote: While you could do well in events with perhaps a Tacoma or something (by finishing and not getting damaged), there's really nothing else out there in the open (AWD) class that is going to compete with the Subies and Evos, realistically. You know what Rally America and NRS results are in recent years, and it's pretty obvious. If there was some oddball/inexpensive/reliable AWD silver bullet, someone probably would have found it by now.

I think it has a lot more to do with big money and talent going into the WRX's and Evo's. There are a lot of capable cars out there, but no one driving them is spending weeks practicing between championship rounds. Also, the drivers of the other cars are often self-sponsored and a little more concerned about wrecking compared to the factory drivers.

NickD
NickD Reader
12/17/15 12:23 p.m.
Trackmouse wrote: This is why somebody needs to challenge the Subaru to AWD wars. They can't be the OnLY company making rally worthy vehicles! In ten years will will all be stuck rally racing cvt hybrid imprezas!!!!!!!! And nobody wants that to happen! Mitsubishi tried, but lost the intergalactic war with the Pleiades. (Ask me more about my insane conspiracy about the space war that was settled on our planet.)

Alright, I'll bite. Tell me more about the space war on our planet.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TUleXT8krV35nPDfMZXIcaKgUXdom3cVpd8flVmDzKV8ItF3olJ9YjtNKS57A3Wn