1 ... 4 5 6
1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/4/21 3:22 p.m.

In reply to crankwalk (Forum Supporter) :

I'm a fairly lousy documenter.  Is there any specific aspect of the job that you'd like to see?  I will try to accomodate.

Update:  Car is still running.  Son drove it to school today on the last day for seniors.  He was absolutely admonished not to see boost.  Said he never went above -2 on the gauge.  Also said the car was a big hit--everyone loved it.

I guess I ought to be documenting the mileage since the rebuild for purposes of break-in.  I will go out and try to estimate.  Can't be more than about 60 or so.

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/4/21 4:43 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

In reply to crankwalk (Forum Supporter) :

I'm a fairly lousy documenter.  Is there any specific aspect of the job that you'd like to see?  I will try to accomodate.

Nah I've swapped in 13bs in before and probably won't need to remember how to do it again , I just like seeing pictures of RX7s. Haha!

j_tso
j_tso Reader
6/4/21 8:54 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

In reply to j_tso :

So, looks like the bottom one of the three nipples on the firewall side, just downstream of the throttle body?

I think it's the lowest one, the tube should be bigger than the other 2.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/5/21 6:56 a.m.
j_tso said:
1988RedT2 said:

In reply to j_tso :

So, looks like the bottom one of the three nipples on the firewall side, just downstream of the throttle body?

I think it's the lowest one, the tube should be bigger than the other 2.

Hmmm.  Pretty sure the bigger one is in the middle.  Funny thing is, that's the one that had a molded hose on it, which seemed to want to go somewhere upstream.  I never thought it might go the other way, but that would probably put it close to where the air hoses are.  Thanks!

bruceman
bruceman Reader
6/5/21 5:07 p.m.

I think it is so cool you rebuilt this engine with your son. Thanks for including us in the journey.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/5/21 9:22 p.m.
bruceman said:

I think it is so cool you rebuilt this engine with your son. Thanks for including us in the journey.

Yeah, he was the driving force here.  He wanted me to get it back together in time for the last day of school, which for him, a high school senior, was Friday.  We just did make it.  I wasn't sure the car was ready for him to drive, but it wasn't far, and turned out to be fine.  No telling how long it would have taken me without his help and motivation.

There was a moment, when we were assembling the engine, sliding rotors onto the eccentric shaft and placing rotor housings, that he saw the whole relationship between parts and the role of the main bearings and stationary gears and the geometry of the housings and how the thing worked.  He got pretty excited about that.  That was a good experience.  For both of us.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
8/15/21 2:01 p.m.

Felt the urge to furnish an update.  I've put on a new set of Pilot Sport AS4's on the OE Turbo II wheels, since I wanted a tire on the car that would be okay on the highway or if I got caught in the rain.  Amazing how much better the car tracks (pretty much dead straight).  So much more relaxing to drive than the R1's, which were squirrelley as Berkeley.

Hit the cars and coffee at Regency Square on Saturday.  Car was perfect and the weather was nice, if a bit hot.  Enjoyed meeting infernosg and his son and seeing his very nice SA22!  Together with an FD, we made up an RX-7 trifecta!

rx7s

johndej
johndej Dork
8/15/21 4:19 p.m.

I remembered that someone here had the SA but didn't realize that was your FB. Both looked really good out there!

infernosg
infernosg Reader
8/16/21 1:17 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

It was good meeting and talking with you in person! Your FC looked good. That was the most RX7s I've seen out there in a while.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
8/17/21 8:50 a.m.

In reply to infernosg :

Good to meet you as well, and thanks for the compliment.  Your SA22 looked pretty amazing.  How many miles on the car and how long have you owned it?

I guess they're getting old like everything else around here, including me!  laugh 

I've owned the car for about 20 years, and when I first got it, you'd see n/a FC's all the time on Craigslist, and every once in a while, a Turbo II.  If I needed a part that wasn't Turbo II specific, I could run down to CAP (local pick-n-pull) and find at least a couple n/a's. 

Not any more. 

Hopefully I'll get out there again before too long, but most of my Saturdays will be in the garage working on getting my wife's Chevy II running.  Maybe we'll get it out to Regency in a month or two.

infernosg
infernosg Reader
8/17/21 2:48 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

I think it's up to 28xxx miles now. I've had it for about 5 years now. I got it from the second owner, who got it in 1982 or 83. The story I was told was his brother bought it brand new in 78 and put most of the miles. He had some kind of mid-life crisis and decided he wanted an airplane so he sold all his stuff. The RX7 went to the brother who didn't really want it so it mostly sat in a garage, getting driven only enough to ensure it still worked.

I don't know when I'll be back at C&CR either. I think they return to the normal schedule this week. I'm doing a track day in the FC this Friday and I won't be home til late, then I have to return the trailer to UHaul by 10 Saturday morning, so I can't make it. The next one would then be Labor Day weekend and beyond that they start to conflict with the kids' sports. 

1 ... 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ae9zfrcNd2Gbsf5iqxQQiHX2TMkNfxt2Fh3r1XoOC5MYIDiGrY7msOGyjShffB65