1 2 3
SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
9/25/18 5:00 p.m.

I see Cordless ones always being used on the car shows on TV and I’m wondering if they are worth it. I was thinking it would be worth having one out on the road with me, plus my actual impact gun at home is a hunk of junk and can barely twist the lug nuts off my truck. 

Anyone using them? Any good brands? I’m specifically looking at the Cordless style. 

RealMiniNoMore
RealMiniNoMore PowerDork
9/25/18 5:06 p.m.

The big Earthquake from the Hammer Store is pretty impressive. We got one at work, that unscrews 1" bolts, on a machine, that have a tendency to seize up, and would frequently break 1/2" breaker bars. It just laughs at them, as it untwists them.

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Dork
9/25/18 5:06 p.m.

Because I have a bunch of batteries, I use Craftsman C3 impacts, both 1/2” and a little 1/4” hex. They both work well for me. I also use the Craftsman inflator, which works well. 

wae
wae SuperDork
9/25/18 5:12 p.m.

In reply to snailmont5oh :

I also use the Craftsman one because I already had a couple of the Li-Ion batteries.  I had to replace mine after a couple years because the trigger switch stopped working, but it works pretty well other than that one bit.  I used it to change all four tires twice and change an axle all on one charge and the battery was still green.

D2W
D2W HalfDork
9/25/18 5:12 p.m.

I have the Ryobi 1/2" and 3/8" guns. Super conveniant, and the 1/2" gun will take off lug nuts no problem. They are not as powerful as my IR 1/2" air gun, but I haven't needed to drag that out in forever.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
9/25/18 5:14 p.m.

Dad has a bosch. That thing flat freaking WORKS. As long as the battery is fully charged. 

I use the cheap corded harbor freight one. Very few bolts have been too stuck for it.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/25/18 5:24 p.m.

I have a dewalt 11xx ft lbs breakaway torque 20v gun and it puts my $$$ IR air gun to shame.  

They are $329ish at home derpot but i got it for $240 shipped on ebay 

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
9/25/18 5:39 p.m.

I have a drawer full of air tools. Good ones. I used to mechanic for a living. I'm still a tool junkie.

Since I got my Milwaukee electric tools, I haven't opened my air tool drawer for anything beyond an air chuck to inflate tires. To quantify, my 3/8 Milwaukee Fuel impact pulls all lugnuts that my 1/2" Ingersoll Rand used to do.

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
9/25/18 5:47 p.m.

I got a Makita brushless 1/2” as a gift as I already had some Makita stuff.  

I haven’t used my good IR air guns since.  I even got the Makita 3/8” as well.  The electrics are better in every way except the weight.  

Turbine
Turbine GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/25/18 5:50 p.m.

I bought a Dewalt 20v 1/2” impact since I already had a few of the batteries. It’s been great. I honestly can’t recommend it enough

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
9/25/18 6:00 p.m.

I have DeWalt 20v, the big one and the small one (both 1/2" drive). I also have the 5X batteries, which last forever, and a few other DeWalt tools that also use those batteries (drill, etc). The little one is awesome for lug nuts and general car stuff. The big one has not met a bolt it won't easily crack open (including Porsche 944 hub bolts, which are like 400lb/ft). Highly recommended.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
9/25/18 6:04 p.m.

My big Milwaukee does everything any half inch air impact will do.  There is a different feel to an electric- an air unit stops moving pretty much instantly on release of the trigger, an electric has some inertia.  Not a problem, just a difference.

I also have a small Milwaukee impact, of the sort that usually has the 1/4 inch hex.  Mine has a 3/8 square, and it is as handy as pockets in your underwear.

Turboeric
Turboeric GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/25/18 6:25 p.m.

I also love my big Milwaukee 18V Fuel impact - I hardly turn the compressor on anymore.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/25/18 6:32 p.m.

In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid :

I bought the ~$260 HF one this spring and absolutely love it...to the point of using it for jobs that really don’t require an impact. It has more torque than my air impact, is easier to modulate, and the battery seems to last forever. Seriously, I’ve charged it a couple times just because I’m going to be using it, but it’s never been close to discharged from use. 

Dave M
Dave M New Reader
9/25/18 6:34 p.m.

This is almost perfect GRM trollbait/catnip.

OF COURSE THEY ARE AWESOME

dclafleur
dclafleur New Reader
9/25/18 6:47 p.m.

They're glorious. I have a 1/2" Milwaukee 18v and 3/8 Milwaukee 12v. I have only used my air tools once since I got them. The 3/8 easily zips off lug nuts. 

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
9/25/18 6:55 p.m.

One more vote for the big HF Earthquake. That thing is seriously beefy. I had a 3/8" Craftsman before that; it was less than impressive when new, and things did not improve as it aged.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/25/18 7:13 p.m.

I have a 18v Makita and I love it.  It will swap the tires on the Fiesta many times without a recharge. I use it for pulling suspension components on the Jeep too, very convenient and powerful.  You'll wonder how you ever got by without one.  

Mine is VERY big and heavy, but puts out 325 ft/lb and was their most affordable option. It seems to work on everything that I have.  They have a high-torque model that puts out 740 ft/lb and a smaller tool that puts out 210 ft/lb. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
9/25/18 7:45 p.m.

Milwaukee Fuel impacts here. Wouldn’t trade them for nothing, M12 ratchets too.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
9/25/18 7:51 p.m.
Dave M said:

This is almost perfect GRM trollbait/catnip.

OF COURSE THEY ARE AWESOME

Trollbait how? It’s a real question. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/25/18 7:56 p.m.

I have been putting off buying one of the DeWalt electric impacts. I already have the 20v batteries for a drill and 1/4 inch impact driver.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/25/18 8:43 p.m.

A buddy has the high output Milwaukee 1/2” cordless impact. Absolutely bada$$$ tool. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
9/25/18 9:06 p.m.

Another vote for the Milwaukee Fuel 18V cordless. Haven't touched my air tools in years. 

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Dork
9/25/18 9:09 p.m.

I also have to strongly recommend getting a set of torque limiting extensions (torque sticks). They are not super-accurate, but can save you from over tightening things. I reinstall all lug nuts with the torque stick, then hit them with the torque wrench for the last 10 or so foot-pounds. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/25/18 9:22 p.m.

I have an IR battery gun that's really useful and that I reach for first every time - but I'm not going to claim I haven't touched my air tools in years. Some things just need more torques. Maybe you guys don't have to take the flywheel bolt off a classic Mini or something...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bN0iEls4cjSIaa3RBJJIZUtJHXG7NsLSB5Mk8BlE5PjcXk6gApF4nMmw9Fr7AQA0