1 2 3
ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
9/27/18 6:22 a.m.

I had a Craftsman that was effective for about a year. Then both batteries quickly died. Replacements were costly for the same garbage. I gave it to a friend.

Got a DeWalt. More powerful and has a battery that actually holds a charge even after several years. Great tool and worth every penny.

RX8driver
RX8driver Reader
9/27/18 7:55 a.m.

I've got a couple cordless ones that are now useless due to dead batteries. I've got a pneumatic that I never use and a corded electric one that I use whenever I need an impact at home. It's cheaper, more powerful and never has a dead battery. That's my recommendation. To change wheels at the track I just use a breaker bar and speed wrench, which is also cheaper, lighter, less theft prone and never runs out of battery compared to a cordless impact.

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
9/27/18 7:55 a.m.

Related, more specific question: how to we feel about the Milwaukee Fuel M12 3/8" Impact (2454-20)? I've got the big HF unit, which is great, but big and heavy. If the little Milwaukee will bang off lug nuts without problems I may need to get one, since I already have the batteries.

Ram50Ron
Ram50Ron GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/27/18 8:31 a.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

Get the 2554-20 it's the newer version and is smaller and even more powerful (250 ft-lbs max).  I just bought one and now I don't think I'll be using my 1/2" M18 (2763) anytime soon.

dclafleur
dclafleur New Reader
9/27/18 8:57 a.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

I haven't tried the new stubby one but the small one has impressed the hell out of me.  It's small enough I can toss it in my tool bag for my trunk and barely notice it, good battery life and works for most things I need.  It is rated at around 116 ft-lbs so use that as a gauge as to if you need a stronger one.

2GRX7
2GRX7 Reader
9/27/18 9:00 a.m.
RX8driver said:

I've got a couple cordless ones that are now useless due to dead batteries. 

Considering the amount of money you've placed into these tools, have you considered converting to corded?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPabkS_OEDw

There are inexpensive power supplies with more than enough amps to power these drills and cords, outlets, etc, can be purchased on Amazon.

MINIzguy
MINIzguy HalfDork
9/27/18 9:40 a.m.
02Pilot said:

Related, more specific question: how to we feel about the Milwaukee Fuel M12 3/8" Impact (2454-20)? I've got the big HF unit, which is great, but big and heavy. If the little Milwaukee will bang off lug nuts without problems I may need to get one, since I already have the batteries.

The M12 3/8" Fuel can take off lug nuts torqued to ~90ft-lbs. Not sure how many wheels they can do, but I've seen it take off/on 2 wheels. That is going to be one of my next Fuel purchases. 

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
9/27/18 10:03 a.m.

The old one looked promising, but that new stubby one is damn impressive. Going to have to grab one when the next eBay coupon rolls around.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/27/18 10:11 a.m.

In reply to RX8driver :

Batteries can be "rejuvenated". At least, they used to be able to be. Double check online, but we've done it before with a car charger and some small gator clips. I think it was high current pulses that did it, but and a big BUT, that was back in the NiCad days with craftsman 19.2 volt stuff and old ryobi stuff. Not sure if it carries to today's lithium batteries. 

I've been impressed using other people's old harbor freight cordless, the big purpleish one that was around $100. I was saving up to get the new earthquake, but bought an air powered earthquake instead. I still really want one to take with me to the track though. All the torque of a Milwaukee for like half price or less. My rigid 3/8"can't break lugs free, but does a good job spinning nuts on and off. 

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/27/18 10:47 a.m.

This is what lives in my car. http://www.burtprocess.com/shopping/W7150?cpao=111&cpca={campaign}&cpag={adgroup}&kw=&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign={campaign}&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_7HdBRDPARIsAN_ltcK8GHJTSRkT1qITHxV243z1KiSeshut2lD66lLBFxBfgslrs_yP59UaAjuTEALw_wcB

I use it 3/4 times a week on various projects. I can get about 4 wheel swaps out of a charge. My local battery shop rebuilds the batteries for $28

dclafleur
dclafleur New Reader
9/27/18 2:57 p.m.
02Pilot said:

The old one looked promising, but that new stubby one is damn impressive. Going to have to grab one when the next eBay coupon rolls around.

just fyi there is one today.  https://pages.ebay.com/promo/2018/0927/69157.html

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
9/28/18 8:25 a.m.
dclafleur said:
02Pilot said:

just fyi there is one today.  https://pages.ebay.com/promo/2018/0927/69157.html

Didn't see this until it was too late, unfortunately. I'll have to catch the next one.

Wiscocrashtest
Wiscocrashtest New Reader
9/28/18 9:18 a.m.

Another happy Milwaukee M18 user here. Can't believe I didn't get one years ago.

Stanger2000
Stanger2000 Reader
9/28/18 3:13 p.m.

My vote goes to the 1/2 M18 mid torque (450ft) impact.  I have this and the 1/4 hex impact that I use w/ 1/4 and 3/8 adapters, handles most of my needs for now.  The 1/4 hex is rated up to around 90-100 ft lbs I believe.  

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
9/28/18 8:42 p.m.

I'm gonna see if the XT can batter the seat belt anchor off tomorrow. Feckin' belt won't untwist. indecision

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wxYJunUiauOmxI9Dz9HQODgvxLvQc8F4oHayEeAhJdQgNug3ZlngEdFlleTXwqi1