1 2
MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/19/19 2:56 p.m.
noddaz said:
MrChaos said:
noddaz said:
MrChaos said:

Also I currently do not own a miata that this will fit on...

Despite what everyone else says I think you really need to find a Miata to go with this top. 

Im being picky.  Im looking for a cheap NA8/NB automatic for Paco Motorsports offroadster suspension and boost.

Ahhh, what a TEASE!  A build thread is mandatory.

These is a car i might go an look at next weekend if it is still available. a BRP supercharged NB

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/19/19 4:37 p.m.

In reply to MrChaos : what’s the price pre-shipping?  Bradenton Mazda is in my hood.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/19/19 4:51 p.m.
Lof8 said:

In reply to MrChaos : what’s the price pre-shipping?  Bradenton Mazda is in my hood.

$1,765.25

though I think they will do the Mazda Motorsports price if you are a member of mazda motorsports.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/20/19 9:14 a.m.

If I recall, a hard top was a $1000 option when it first premiered in 1989.  According to https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/, $1000 of of 1989 monies would cost $2,060.87, so I'd say that you got $300 off an OEM one by waiting!

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia HalfDork
5/20/19 11:16 a.m.

Tucson Craigslist has a 92 Miata with a hardtop and roll bar for $2500 ,

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/20/19 11:21 a.m.
californiamilleghia said:

That won't be there long. Killer deal.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia HalfDork
5/20/19 11:57 a.m.
Floating Doc said:

That won't be there long. Killer deal.

It's only been on  less than 24 hours ....

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
5/21/19 7:24 a.m.

NA and NB use the same hard top? Huh, never knew that!

johndej
johndej HalfDork
5/21/19 7:59 a.m.

yeah, don't know when they made the switch but the early ones have no head liner or rear defrost. Either around 94 or for the NB they started getting both of those.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/21/19 12:52 p.m.

I'd likely buy that sight unseen if I lived in Tucson.

akreddy
akreddy
2/28/20 11:30 p.m.

In reply to MrChaos :

Hi MrChaos, did you end up using the oem hard top? I am new to miata, just bought a 94 m edition. Am looking for a hard top. Looks like the oem one is not in stock anymore.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/29/20 12:11 a.m.
MrChaos said:
rustybugkiller said:

I think it’s pretty cool that Mazda still offers a new top for a 30 year old car,  perhaps a little expensive but  kudos to them.

have you priced OEM NC/S2000/MR2 hardtops? its cheap compared to them.

In 15 years, every one of us who scoffs at the price will be kicking themselves. You just watch.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie New Reader
5/5/20 4:38 p.m.

My plan is to put in a full roll cage in addition to the hardtop for safety. I am primarily interested in SCCA Solo 1 and NASA time trials. Not Spec Miata but I might consider vintage racing. 

It won't be used for rallycross or off road. I have a Jeep XJ for that. 

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/22/21 6:31 p.m.

EDIT: that's wierd, this thread was up near the top and after I posted someone must have deleted a recent post. I certainly didn't dig it up from 2019... 

Knurled. said:

In reply to codrus :

You're not allowed to run with a sunroof cracked, either.  You're also not allowed to remove a sunroof frame and replace it with sheetmetal (unless you have a rollcage)

wait, are we talking about rallycross here? If so, that's not correct.

Mod class you can remove the sunroof and replace it with sheet metal of the same thickness as the roof skin - no roll bar or roll cage is required unless you ALSO modify the "inner roof structure." 

The "inner roof structure" refers to the inner crossbrace that runs all the way to the sides of the roof and actually provide support in a rollover. In modern cars that may be an integrated piece for the sunroof frame as well, but on old cars (like an e30), the sunroof frame is literally just stuck to the inner roof skin with heavy-duty adhesive and certainly provides no roof-crush protction (probably reduces it, actually). The sunroof frame is no more of a structural support than the interior map lights or the headliner. 

I verified this with SCCA rules people 10 years ago when I did mine, FWIW, and pretty much every sedan/coupe running in DC has a sunroof (and sunroof frame) deleted, and none of them with cages - including mine when it passed many techs at divisional events (including GLDivs). 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/22/21 6:36 p.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

You said what I said.  You're not allowed to remove the sunroof frame, IE the inner roof structure surrounding the sunroof hole.

Currently, anyway.  The Mod rewrite committee talked about the subject for about an hour last night.  (You may be pleased with what we came up with - it's fairly lenient yet sane, and it takes the points you brought up into account)

Passing tech is another matter.  The problem is, only things in the safety section are looked at by tech inspection, nothing in class eligibility is considered.  The tech line would be three days long if tech did a class eligibility inspection.  So, we have the class inspection period where eligibility is self policing - if you done something and everyone else is cool with it, then it can fly.

Safety items should not be in class eligibility, and this is something I bring up from time to time and will bring up at the next meeting.  We've already hammered out probably 90% of the rewrite, the remaining 10% is difficult because it involves trying to define certain concepts in such a way that is both concise and idiotproof.  (A: "X must be metal."  B: "Chickenwire is metal." C: "So is a piece of speaker wire ziptied in place." A: "E36 M3.")

99MX5
99MX5
8/11/21 4:16 p.m.

In reply to MrChaos :

Do you happen to still have the miata hardtop?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lG3Fe0i8CXQPykaJYWXCIE5wiF63nKfqNQdbYHrtr8yRbnz51Xz4g7fGxNXRNKx5