Caperix
Caperix Reader
1/29/23 8:00 a.m.

My 91 e30 has developed a warm miss that is driving me crazy trying to track down.  The lack of faults & slow data transfer of the 1.3 dme is not leading me anywhere.  I am thinking its time to scope some signals & see what is dropping out.  There are a number of low priced oscilloscopes on the market now,  but how good are they?  Does anyone have any experience with one brand over a other?

wae
wae PowerDork
1/29/23 8:11 a.m.

I've got a Hantek USB unit that seems to work okay.  Having never used anything else, I have nothing to compare it to, but I have used it to do things like check injectors, watch crank and cam sensors, and do relative compression tests.

Caperix
Caperix Reader
1/29/23 8:32 a.m.

Is that the 8 channel one I see on Amazon?  I have looked at that, it seems to get ok reviews, mainly due to software.  Did you have any issues getting it loaded?  I am hoping crank sensor, fuel injectors & secondary ignition measurements will give me a better idea of what is going on.  It sounds like this should do that.

wae
wae PowerDork
1/29/23 12:52 p.m.

In reply to Caperix :

More than likely it is   I didn't really have any trouble getting the software loaded, but it has zero instructions so I had to do a bunch of YouTube watching to sort of figure it out.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/29/23 6:14 p.m.
wae said:

I've got a Hantek USB unit that seems to work okay.  Having never used anything else, I have nothing to compare it to, but I have used it to do things like check injectors, watch crank and cam sensors, and do relative compression tests.

Came here to recommend these types of cheap USB units.

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/29/23 8:48 p.m.

I got an old Tektronix 100mHz scope for less than $100 on FB Marketplace.  Accurate and bulletproof.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
1/29/23 8:52 p.m.

In reply to wae :

Sorry I can answer your question but back in 1961  I worked at a corner gas station and we had this wall of instruments including an  oscilloscope.  I found it absolutely facinating  wish I could find one of those to put in my Man Cave.   
 Sorry to disturb.  Return to your regular message. 

Caperix
Caperix Reader
2/4/23 2:12 p.m.

Purchased a hantek 8 channel USB scope box to try.  I think it worked good enough to find my issue. My crank sensor signal is doing strange things when the issue occurs.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aVoIwlHJG8sQVZsN6C956LhEM4bBx2TExBJd1DJBvMcK6a4mKGW5PETHl76htD93