1 2
Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/3/22 5:28 p.m.

My brother has successfully bid for this Saab on BaT-- I should be able to experience almost all of the entertainment without any of the headaches.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1978-saab-99-12/?utm_source=transactionalemail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=bat_bid_placed_bidder

He'll be towing it back to his place in Colorado.  Not only is the total mileage unknown, the story is also "They hadn’t driven it much during the pandemic and the roadworthiness was described as questionable to unknown."

It definitely has the correct wheels!

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/3/22 5:35 p.m.

In reply to Karacticus :

Those are cool wheels.  I want a set just to say that I have a set.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/3/22 5:59 p.m.

Oooooh, I likes me some 99 turbo.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
4/3/22 6:01 p.m.

I consider old Saabs "the coolest cars I have no intention of owning"

I have been going through a Sonnett at work and it has cemented that idea for me. 

Berck
Berck Reader
4/3/22 6:01 p.m.

"The wastegate diaphragm is damaged, an oil leak is present, and the car runs lean on the highway and idles rich."  Love it.

Karacticus
4/3/22 6:05 p.m.
Berck said:

"The wastegate diaphragm is damaged, an oil leak is present, and the car runs lean on the highway and idles rich."  Love it.

At some point the jury will withdraw to determine which is the smarter brother. He is the more educated one, though. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/3/22 6:27 p.m.

They look like some old school tire tread too. 

clownkiller
clownkiller HalfDork
4/3/22 6:31 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Looks like my trailer tires. Wheels do look really cool!

Karacticus
4/3/22 6:41 p.m.

Also, what the hell does this mean on an Ohio title?

The Ohio title notes an “Exceeds Mechanical Limits” mileage brand.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/3/22 6:43 p.m.

In reply to Karacticus :

On old cars means above 100,000 miles.  On newer cars in FL at least means mileage might not be true.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/3/22 6:44 p.m.
Karacticus said:

Also, what the hell does this mean on an Ohio title?

The Ohio title notes an “Exceeds Mechanical Limits” mileage brand.

Possibly 5 digit odometer that rolled over. There is also an option for "not actual mileage" so I'm not sure what would make someone select one or the other. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/3/22 6:45 p.m.

On a 5 digit odometer, the next mile after 99,999 miles is 0 miles.  So, a car showing 25,000 miles but is really 125,000 miles total then also says on the title, exceeds mechanical limits (of the odometer.) 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/3/22 6:50 p.m.

But... The BaT listing says :

The six-digit mechanical odometer shows 262k miles, approximately 400 of which were added by the seller. Total mileage is unknown.

So, this must just be a designation on the title referencing "total mileage unknown." 

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
4/3/22 6:57 p.m.

On the one hand, I'm envious of the unquestionable coolness of a 99 Turbo. On the other - and it should be noted that this is the hand that's been working on my 11-year-newer 900S - I am most assuredly not envious of the early Saab quirks. My car has more than enough quirks, and the older cars have...more.

Please relate all stories in lurid detail so we can fully appreciate the weirdness.

Karacticus
4/3/22 7:03 p.m.

I'll see if I can talk him into joining the forum. 

The story is that the trip starts Wednesday, and finishes when it's over. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/3/22 7:15 p.m.

That looks cool as hell.

I admit I'm out of the loop on old Saabs, is $7200 a good deal now?

BoxheadTim
4/3/22 7:53 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

For a gen-u-whine Turbo, yes.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/4/22 10:25 a.m.

I don't much about SAAB's but that car is berkeleying rad. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/4/22 10:27 a.m.
John Welsh said:

But... The BaT listing says :

The six-digit mechanical odometer shows 262k miles, approximately 400 of which were added by the seller. Total mileage is unknown.

So, this must just be a designation on the title referencing "total mileage unknown." 

I'm pretty sure that in Colorado any vehicle over a certain age is assumed to have an odometer problem. There's only way to describe it, regardless of why.

BoxheadTim
4/8/22 9:38 a.m.

Any updates? Inquiring SAAB nuts, err, minds want to know.

Karacticus
4/8/22 9:46 a.m.

No significant details, but I've heard he made it home yesterday, which must have been a haul. 

I did hear that he sat things out in western Kansas for a bit after watching the wind shift an RV across a lane and a half. 

Karacticus
4/8/22 10:25 a.m.

Transport details--

"Rented a 10' uhaul truck and full transport trailer. Then they didn't have the 10' so I ended up in a 15'. Filled the floor with parts though. "

That sounds marginal for a trip from Ohio to Colorado!

Need to get him on here to add to story or start his own thread!

Karacticus
4/8/22 10:46 a.m.

I asked if that rig could maintain speed uphill--

"Yes but not with 30 mph headwind. Downshift to hold 60 on the flat which was why I wasn't going that fast. The last 2 hours is turned into a tailish wind. That was more fun. Got home just as sunset "

Have a picture, but doesn't want to upload at the moment. 

Karacticus
4/8/22 12:34 p.m.

Still unable to upload picture, but here's the rest of the story I got.  Can say that the car looks really shiny for just having been dragged across two time zones. 

"To conclude the adventure, I am physically sore from wrestling with the truck. I saw 3 flipped semis after I'd waited some of it out. Then came the trail of walking wounded of trucks that had broken down or overheated. My favorite was the trucker who had run out of gas in the middle of the intersection at the bottom of the off ramp when he was half way through a left turn. He was ~400 yards from the gas station. Almost made it. 

Just because you drive a semi at 75 in that headwind doesn't mean you should. "

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
4/8/22 12:38 p.m.

I'm in Wichita KS and the wind here has been pretty awful the last few days.  Glad he made it home okay.  Car looks cool.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XfwXldFdQ6Z8i3c5xsLFJQDmRRa74xTt4VBMXiDnmlwdVfP6ZAvGc5m2IDRKZvtC