1 2
DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
6/9/08 9:59 a.m.

An entire weekend with no GRM. I was lost.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf New Reader
6/9/08 10:49 a.m.

new board stinks so bad I've been lost since the change............

Porxy error............and slow...............

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
6/9/08 10:53 a.m.

I can handle the speed. However, I wasn't sure what to do with myself this weekend, since I was pet sitting, and had an internet connection but no GRM...

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Reader
6/9/08 11:02 a.m.

It seems as though it's a weekend thing. Like the past two weekends without GRM. I suffered withdrawl.

Slow I can live with, It's the proxy error that's hard to live with.

aircooled
aircooled Dork
6/9/08 11:05 a.m.

My personal recommendation would be to drop all other work on the board and figure out the speed issue. It's really killing the whole experience here...

Not trying to be overly critical, great work in general on the site, just letting you know my observation.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/9/08 11:14 a.m.

I'm pretty sure the speed and errors are related. I've made headway (believe it or not), but not enough. Aircooled, we agree. Speed and stability are top issues.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed New Reader
6/9/08 1:33 p.m.

Ya, I can barely get on anymore and if I do it is so slow it's not worth the effort. I know it will all work out so I am waiting patiently.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
6/9/08 8:24 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: An entire weekend with no GRM. I was lost.

Don't worry, you get used to it. With the new board software bugs and general ickyness, I find myself here less and less.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
6/9/08 8:30 p.m.
foxtrapper wrote:
Don't worry, you get used to it. With the new board software bugs and general ickyness, I find myself here less and less.

as a side benefit foxtrapper has lost 10 lbs and now produces some fine macramé.

DMSentra
DMSentra New Reader
6/9/08 9:45 p.m.

'tis a tougher experience lately. The layout is my nemesis.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
6/9/08 10:54 p.m.
foxtrapper wrote:

Ditto. :(

RX_Midget
RX_Midget New Reader
6/10/08 7:33 a.m.
foxtrapper wrote:

+1

I thought the old EZ-Board was OK. It felt more.....Grassroots.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/10/08 7:33 a.m.

don't look at me.. I have actually been working on my cars... when it is not 100 degrees in the shade

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/10/08 8:37 a.m.

I hate the way it previews topics. You could collapse it to just headers originally, but that seems to have dissapeared. I browse it less and less as well, the old one was easier to use, better to look at.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/10/08 8:48 a.m.

Pinchvalve, go to your profile and change the setting to suit you.

iceracer
iceracer New Reader
6/10/08 8:49 a.m.

Agree to all the previous comments.

P90Puma
P90Puma Reader
6/10/08 8:49 a.m.

It seems the forums is dead compared to the old one.

Where did all the users go?

Has all the downtime scared them away?

Travis_K
Travis_K New Reader
6/10/08 8:58 a.m.

I feel bad being critical becasue im sure setting up the new board has reall been alot of work, but I really dont think it is an improvement over the old one at all.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/10/08 9:13 a.m.

As a software developer, I would say that we should give Tim some time to make more improvements. I know what it's like to have something running that has been worked into a corner, and then roll out something that works properly and has much more potential but runs like crap at first because...well it's just being deployed.

Anyone who's switched from Windows to Linux will know that things were difficult and crappy at first but it all payed off later

Or for a car analogy, to switch from a pair of cruddy old webers that ran but had dead spots and caused black smoke to a Megasquirt with a wideband sensor feeding a VGT that takes a lot of work to set up and leaves you dead on the side of the road a few times...but pays off later

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/10/08 9:19 a.m.
P90Puma wrote: Has all the downtime scared them away?

Downtime sucks. Slow speeds suck. Nobody likes it.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Member
6/10/08 9:31 a.m.

I haven't had speed or reliability issues, but the new site is visually weak IMO. GRM isn't a techie site. It's an enthusiast site. That should mean vibrant colors, graphics, pics, stuff to keep us fired up. It might take up too much resources, but if you'd fill the left hand column with eye candy it'd help.

aircooled
aircooled Dork
6/10/08 10:25 a.m.

Don't want to jinx anything, but for me the site is currently MUCH faster and I haven't had any errors in a least a few days.

As in a story I once read from an F68 pilot about the slightly "eccentric" Italian air traffic controllers in the 1950's when he was landing at a base:

"On heading, on glidepath... dona' toucha' nothin' "

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/10/08 10:27 a.m.

Thanks Aircooled. I was wondering who would first notice. I made a change yesterday that appears to have made a BIG difference. I'm currently watching it to see how it does under load. By my timing, it's currently about on par or slightly faster than the old site was.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/10/08 11:04 a.m.

Working good way out West as well Tim.

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 HalfDork
6/10/08 11:18 a.m.

Speed is definitely up, still getting random 404s and /GET errors... less than b4 though

otherwise hammer down, keep on truckin'

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DPOvsZiGlazcgIWxtxcKOcSOLwM6nbc5zQCgvvTElC9ugzMg5NOC4RhfVSjG4BGV