David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/8/17 1:49 p.m.

For grassroots racers, there’s a sense of pride that comes with throwing open the garage door on a weekday evening, letting the shop lights and stereo sounds bleed out into the suburban dark, and continuing the process of transforming a regular car into something more than it was intended to be– something more powerful, agile, lightweight and alive.

But even …

Read the rest of the story

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/8/17 2:06 p.m.

Great article, I can't think of a single car to add to that list.  

Jacob
Jacob None
11/8/17 3:49 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve :

15 - 2008-2009 S2000 CR.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/8/17 4:09 p.m.

Man, none of the rally homologation specials at all? Think of what the current STI would be if it wasn't for all the mad Impreza turbos of the 90's. Quattro Sport, 323 GTX, Evo. Heck, there are even some interesting stock-car related factory "race cars".

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/8/17 5:26 p.m.
pinchvalve said:

I can ;)

Mercedes-Benz (W201) 190E 2.3-16

a.k.a., the reason why the E30 M3 exists!

Keith Tanner
11/8/17 5:51 p.m.
LanEvo said:
pinchvalve said:

I can ;)

Mercedes-Benz (W201) 190E 2.3-16

a.k.a., the reason why the E30 M3 exists!

Fair point, but I think it's reasonable to say the M3 has had a more lasting effect.

Toebra
Toebra HalfDork
11/8/17 6:40 p.m.

But the M3 would not have happened without the 190E with that groovy head on it.

I have always had a soft spot for a few factory racers not on the list.  

Superbird/Daytona- They were just nuts, made solely so they could take them to the track.  Mandate was to beat Ford, and they did.  Were neutered/banned in short order.

917- Again, made solely so they could take them to the track.  Insanely fast, compared to the competition.

GT-40- Again, made solely so they could take them to the track to lay a beating on Commendatore Enzo.

550 Porsche-The original giant slayer, not Giant slayer, though Mr Dean did die in his.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s New Reader
11/8/17 9:12 p.m.

After years of checking, the 3rd Gen Camaro community has determined that the special "swinging" fuel pump pickup didn't actually exist on the 1LE IROC-Zs or any other 3rd Gen. The fuel tank baffle (which became standard for 1991 on all F-Bodies and simply put the fuel pump in a plastic cup with 1/4 of it open) wouldn't allow the pickup to swing anyway. Even with the baffled tank, I get fuel starve under 3/8s of a tank at autocross and on track. Of course, that's with today's tires. Something I'd like to see someone try is a non-baffled tank with the huge square or plus-shaped socks Holley now advertises in GRM.

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
11/9/17 5:31 a.m.

As an avid follower of Showroom Stock from 1982 on, I watched as Camaro after Camaro won race after race, with Mustangs quite a bit behind.  The 1LE was more of an answer to the 944 than to the Mustang.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
11/9/17 6:35 a.m.

I can add one- the Alfa Romeo GTA.  The car won so very many races all over the world, and did win the first Trans Am race overall.  

frenchyd
frenchyd HalfDork
11/9/17 7:39 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve :

Jaguar D type. The factory used 9 D types from 1954- 1957 but built 54  

And then sold 12 more as XKSS's  mainly for American club racing until the factory burned down.   In fact you can draw a clear line from the D type to the E type. 

No Ferrari 360/458 Challenge cars or McLaren F1 GTRs to appease the Forza crowd? Not even an MX5 Cup car to appeal to your base?

I'm not really a fan of click-bait list fluff like this but a series of articles focusing on the background and details of as many factory race cars as you can think of wouldn't cause any complaints from me.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
11/9/17 8:43 a.m.

In reply to The Artist Formerly Known as Giant Purple Snorklewacker :

I don't see this as "click bait" at all; they're listing their favorite cars without saying "The 14 best race cars of all time - number 3 will shock you!"

GCrites80s
GCrites80s New Reader
11/9/17 10:31 a.m.

^Car companies did 1 weird old trick that they don't want you to know about to ordinary road cars... and YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED NEXT!

Keith Tanner
11/9/17 10:42 a.m.

This isn't click bait, but it is a listicle. Easy to generate, creates lots of discussion. The more slip-shod the list, the more engagement you get.

Team_Blitz
Team_Blitz New Reader
6/30/18 12:31 p.m.

If you're going to say "race cars", you must take into account drag racing, rally, and circle track too. And if so, how can you leave out the NASCAR winged warriors? Or the Swiss-cheese Pontiacs? Or the AF/X cars? Or the Ur Quattro? C'mon....  Roadracing is my favorite sport. But if you're limiting the purview to roadracing, say it up front, fellas. Either that, or you have to add in some variety!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/30/18 12:35 p.m.

No Hemi Darts or Hemi Cudas? hmmm...

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
6/30/18 3:16 p.m.

Grassroots Motorsports isn't a drag racing magazine, so even though I'm a huge fan of the early super duty Pontiacs I don't think they belong on their list.

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
6/30/18 3:48 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve :

Jaguar C type D type lightweight E type 

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/30/18 6:46 p.m.

IMSA Aurora 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ILbp0zA3AK0ZxI6A0vkAmxsJ8YQoNjDH210NIUzbArycLFPe1mmf4JbbQxLf2ICL