1 2
NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
10/17/14 7:35 p.m.
ssswitch wrote: I didn't even know they made an SUS past the 2nd generation Legacy.

I have never seen one in Canada after the 2nd gen

ssswitch
ssswitch Reader
10/17/14 7:38 p.m.

From the sound of it, we only got the SUS for one year. New England had it a year prior to us ('98), and then everyone in North America got it for one year ('99), and then that was it for the 2nd gen Legacy SUS. We called it the Outback Sedan I think, not the SUS.

I have no idea where the fourth-gen SUS came from, or if there was a third-gen SUS. Even cars101 doesn't mention it. This is genuinely interesting from the perspective of being a huge Subaru nerd.

edit: Here we go. It's referenced other places (like wikipedia) as the "Outback Limited Sedan." Cool. We definitely didn't get those in Canada, but we also didn't get the Impreza Outback Sport some years either. Subaru of Canada remains a confusing mystery to me.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/17/14 7:51 p.m.
series8217 wrote: This is incorrect. You can run any size tire on the stock size wheel as long as it does not rub. From the 2014 SCCA RallyCross rulebook 6.2.C.2:
Tires must be DOT approved. Tires marked “For competition only”, “Not for street use” or similar, are not allowed. No part of the tire may be modified or altered from its original form, either through addition or subtraction, other than normal wear. No studded tires are permitted at National events unless ice or snow is present; Regional and Divisional events may allow studded tires any time. Studded tires may not be homemade using bolts or 28 screws. Only street-legal studs are allowed. Tires may not interfere with any parts of the car (fenders, fender liners, suspension, etc).

Look up in the rules where it says (paraphrased) "Anything not specifically addressed as allowable must remain stock", then see where in that tire rule it specifically says you are allowed to run any size tire.

Yes, it's an omission. Yes, the intent of the rule change (versus the old +- language) was to allow any size. But the rule, as written, does not allow tire size change, and any protests would probably be upheld.

I would like this fixed. It was brought to my attention, and I forwarded it to the appropriate people, so that it CAN be fixed. But, believe it or not, there's backlash, and a not-insignificant percentage of people want to lock people in to stock tire size.

Me, I figure, as long as it clears the brakes and the body, and is not a "for competition use" tire, go nuts in Stock. Change tire size, wheel size, do whatever. It's more inclusive than exclusive, especially given that "winter tire/wheel packages" from the Usual Places (Hi, Tire Rack!) are a -1 or -2 wheel fitment for 90% of newer cars, and newer cars make up the bulk of Stock class in rallycross. But that is my single, lone opinion, and while my voice may be louder than some, it's still only one voice.

series8217
series8217 Reader
10/17/14 9:22 p.m.

In reply to Knurled:

I understand how the rules are set up (if not listed as allowable it's not allowed) but if the tire rule is strictly interpreted that way as written then the entire rule is irrelevant because competitors would not be permitted to even change the manufacturer or model of tire being that those changes are not explicitly listed as allowable.

The rule really ought to start with: "Any tire may be used, subject to the foowing limitations:".

ouchx100
ouchx100 Reader
10/17/14 10:21 p.m.

In reply to series8217:

Sucks you won't be there. I'm glad the long break is finally over and I'm heading out tomorrow lol. My car is the silver 06 wrx thats in my profile pic.

Knurled
10/18/14 1:43 a.m.
series8217 wrote: In reply to Knurled: I understand how the rules are set up (if not listed as allowable it's not allowed) but if the tire rule is strictly interpreted that way as written then the entire rule is irrelevant because competitors would not be permitted to even change the manufacturer or model of tire being that those changes are not explicitly listed as allowable. The rule really ought to start with: "Any tire may be used, subject to the foowing limitations:".

There's that, too. The actual proposed fix inserts a line that says "Size is free".

You oughta see the discussions that come up when the subject of Stock tires comes up. A lot of people seem to think that snow tires are not street tires. The issue, apparently, stems from some regions have sites where aggressive tires of any sort cannot be used, so they want to ban aggressive tires nationally instead of just having a local supp.

taparsons
taparsons New Reader
10/18/14 3:33 a.m.

There's an event coming up nearby guess I will see how it does then. To the fellow outback guys how big of a difference do the harder bushing make for us?

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
10/18/14 1:56 p.m.
taparsons wrote: There's an event coming up nearby guess I will see how it does then. To the fellow outback guys how big of a difference do the harder bushing make for us?

I don't know.

I bought mine, fixed a sticky brake, got plates on it, bolted on a skidplate, mounted the rally tires and went rally-Xing.

Knurled
10/18/14 1:59 p.m.

Yeah, I would NOT overthink it too much. The fun part about rallycross is that you won't be hopelessly off the back because your setup isn't 100%. As long as the car isn't seriously scrody, it won't be the thing holding you back. It takes vast sweeping suspension setup changes to make a tangible difference.

series8217
series8217 Reader
10/20/14 11:25 a.m.
Knurled wrote: It takes vast sweeping suspension setup changes to make a tangible difference.

+1 to this.

Just make sure the car works and isn't going to break. Besides tires, mods are irrelevant for rallycross unless you go all out.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
O3D1ebdRsRLfyvqntqKqLdf4ASFHkBgYo5ICJNFgVDVTB6Hf0ZNG7UP2fEYNoeE2