nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/30/21 8:01 p.m.

An RX7 trans (attached to a rotary) fits in the tunnel but requires the 2" square cross car tube to be notched.  I also had to remove the heater box shelf but that may not be an issue with the lower crank position of an A-series.  5th gear is .862 for most of them.    Starter is Transmission mounted and points toward the rear of the car.  Space was a little tight around the step in the firewall but I could get the starter in and out.   Challenge is integrated bellhousing so your in adapter plate land.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
5/30/21 8:06 p.m.

There is a kit available to use the 5 speed from a Datsun B210. I think there is no chassis cutting required. It is much smaller than the Mazda box. Plenty strong too.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
5/30/21 9:35 p.m.

They are hens teeth though. I had two 210 trans under my first midget. You want 79-82 b210 5 speed and either a morrisservice plate or river gate. They are fantastic. Also a lot for Ford t9. Also, disagree the the a-series is all that. But that's another argument. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
5/30/21 10:07 p.m.

In reply to RichardSIA :

First what you want is a 210 transmission, not the B210. The 210 uses a 60 series trans, the B210 uses a 63 series trans which is to large to fit in a Sprite. As for where to find one; Datsun1200.com & Ratsun.net there was one for sale on Ratsun a couple of weeks ago. As for good shape, Rivergate sells a rebuikd kit. I have a 210 5 speed in my 1200 is in  need of a rebuild, the Rivergate kit is around $300.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
5/30/21 10:12 p.m.

This was once my plan for the Bugeye

http://www.ado13.com/dohczuke/dohc.htm

The only easy button is the Datsun 5 speed if you can find the parts and the kit is still sold.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
5/30/21 11:00 p.m.

I'm keeping an ear to the ground for a Datsun trans for mine. I welcome a PM if anyone hears of one.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
5/31/21 3:32 p.m.

The factory actually built  couple of 5 speed boxes for the Sebring Sprite racers - they actually incorporated a 5th gear into an MGA close ratio transmission (they wanted to remove the added weight of the Laycock overdrive units).

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
5/31/21 4:41 p.m.

Various Midget rear end ratios are taller. When added to 14 inch tires you wind up with the same rev reducing effect for a tiny fraction of what a swap like that will cost. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
5/31/21 5:28 p.m.

You just have to keep your eye out as the 60 series 5 speeds do pop up on Datsun1200.com as well as Ratsun. Also check the Datsun 1200 Facebook page.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
5/31/21 6:34 p.m.

Tom1200- totally my bad and the actual reason I had two under the midget. The first was a b210 4 speed. The drain in lug interfered with the crossmember and I wanted a five speed anyway. The 210 five speed is nearly impossible to find, but the kit is a damn steal from river gate. For the Morris- I believe you ha e to do pretty major transmission surgery on the upper rear part of the bell housing to make it fit. Even as compact as it is. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
5/31/21 6:50 p.m.
RichardSIA said:
NOHOME said:

This was once my plan for the Bugeye

http://www.ado13.com/dohczuke/dohc.htm

The only easy button is the Datsun 5 speed if you can find the parts and the kit is still sold.

I actually have one of those engines and a Sammy trans to go with it. But it is earmarked for a Tatum Crusader/VW build.

I want to do that to a round tail Spitfire.  

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
5/31/21 10:42 p.m.
Teh E36 M3 said:

Tom1200- totally my bad and the actual reason I had two under the midget. The first was a b210 4 speed. The drain in lug interfered with the crossmember and I wanted a five speed anyway. The 210 five speed is nearly impossible to find, but the kit is a damn steal from river gate. For the Morris- I believe you ha e to do pretty major transmission surgery on the upper rear part of the bell housing to make it fit. Even as compact as it is. 

The steering rack on a Morris Minor  is at the firewall, behind the engine.  If I remember correctly there is about 3/4 of an inch between the back of the motor and the steering rack.  So anything bigger or heavier goes forward. The front springs are torsion bars so good luck finding anything to deal with the added weight.  Finally the shock absorbers are lever arm bolted to the inner panels ( and act like the upper Arm)  and it only takes a little rust to have them pull loose. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
6/1/21 6:38 a.m.

Heres something that might interest you.  Not an overdrive and not transmission related, but we all like power...

https://www.creativespridgets.com/supercharger

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
6/1/21 10:10 a.m.

One of the Australian guys is selling a couple of 210 5 speeds on the Datsun 1200 USA Facebook page; note he's asking $1200 US for them.  

If you are willing to wait 6-10 months one of the 60 series 5 speeds will pop up for around $500-$600.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Snc3F7X2GUjQxDu9yKisqLuiqHgHNdnJlTSOLmzrN24H80WIc9YVx7VyWxftquau