1 2
Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
5/9/13 7:46 a.m.

In reply to dculberson:

Because I would spend far less for an 1800 off ebay than I would for one I can inspect in person.

While ebay offers a venue to expose a car to a world-wide buyer pool, only a few of them can realistically inspect the car in person - especially in this price range (regardless of model/brand). The level of risk gets reflected in reduced prices. If there's one thing I've learned the hard way when buying cars and trucks over the past decadee or so, it's that a picture is worth 1000 words and most of them are lies.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
5/9/13 7:48 a.m.

I would never buy any P1800 without an intensive inspection.

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
5/9/13 8:14 a.m.

I agree that 5k is inexpensive for a non rusty car. I will also say, after completely restoring a car that had lived its entire life in California that there is likely no such thing as a completely rust free car. Also after spending about 15k on paint and bodywork, that the cars are extremely difficult to do correctly. I had mine back to the body shop 4 times before it was correct and am still fighting with perfect trunk fit.

Also to do the interior on one of these cars properly will cost a minimum of 6 grand if done correctly. If the owner did not spend this he cut corners somewhere.

That being said, I just had a guy fly in to see my car and he offered 30K cash for it.

The best examples of these cars are now getting more serious interest from the collector car community. If you are interested in an 1800, I would buy the best one you can find if you are considering one and do that fast. Also, after you buy it, know that if you really want a great example, you are going to have to spend more money to get to that point. How much money depends on he car. As a point of information, have recently seen 3 cars sell for more than $15,000 and they all needed at least another 7-10k to get to a very nice and correct level.

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
5/9/13 9:09 a.m.
Ian F wrote: In reply to dculberson: Because I would spend far less for an 1800 off ebay than I would for one I can inspect in person. While ebay offers a venue to expose a car to a world-wide buyer pool, only a few of them can realistically inspect the car in person - especially in this price range (regardless of model/brand). The level of risk gets reflected in reduced prices. If there's one thing I've learned the hard way when buying cars and trucks over the past decadee or so, it's that a picture is worth 1000 words and most of them are lies.

I always assume an in person inspection.

Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
5/9/13 10:14 a.m.

FWIW I bought our 1995 olive green t5r wagon on Ebay in Stamford Connecticut when I lived in California sight unseen. Ebay has thought about this stuff and offered what I thought was reasonable protection against fraud or mechanical failure. Thankfully I did not not need to find out if the protection worked or not, the car ran great all the way back and still does. The guy selling it had no idea it was collectable (in the teeny Volvo collectables world) and it was under priced by at least 2-3k. A guy active and knowledgeable on Sweedspeed and Volvospeed was nice enough to look at it for me. Its worth more than what I bought it for- this stuff can work out.

Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
5/9/13 10:21 a.m.

The reason I like this car is from where I am sitting (contingent upon inspection) it does not need an interior, or body work, or paint, and it looks unmolested. I had the understanding the un-restored cars in good shape are worth more long term, and one is spared the expense of a full restoration? Anyway, I like that color.

Andy Reid wrote: I agree that 5k is inexpensive for a non rusty car. I will also say, after completely restoring a car that had lived its entire life in California that there is likely no such thing as a completely rust free car. Also after spending about 15k on paint and bodywork, that the cars are extremely difficult to do correctly. I had mine back to the body shop 4 times before it was correct and am still fighting with perfect trunk fit. Also to do the interior on one of these cars properly will cost a minimum of 6 grand if done correctly. If the owner did not spend this he cut corners somewhere. That being said, I just had a guy fly in to see my car and he offered 30K cash for it. The best examples of these cars are now getting more serious interest from the collector car community. If you are interested in an 1800, I would buy the best one you can find if you are considering one and do that fast. Also, after you buy it, know that if you really want a great example, you are going to have to spend more money to get to that point. How much money depends on he car. As a point of information, have recently seen 3 cars sell for more than $15,000 and they all needed at least another 7-10k to get to a very nice and correct level.
Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
5/9/13 10:45 a.m.

In reply to Datsun1500:

to be honest, I don't give a berkeley anymore.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/9/13 12:59 p.m.

Remember when Volvo's were pretty? Ahhhh

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
5/9/13 1:22 p.m.

I don't have anything to add other than berkeleyin' a, that's the right color.

SEADave
SEADave New Reader
5/9/13 2:10 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: All I was saying is a nice example is under 10k, the one he asked about looks like a nice driver so I said $6k. I was then told they were worth upwards of $20k so I posted nice ones for $7k.

I honestly hope you are right. I have been without a Volvo 1800 for too long and the pictures of the yellow one brought it all back. I remember every switch and knob in the interior and every bolt and hose under the hood. If $7k can really buy a nice one I would sell my BGT in a second and pick one up.

If that black one that sold on eBay is really clean and rust-free that buyer won the lottery. Unfortunately I am with Ian in assuming that every Volvo 1800 has rust or other body issues until proven otherwise, no matter how pretty they look up top.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ynkPmiEeX7F5xzbajBXXJQRix74Vn98AT7OMGGq1rKeHYSDY4yEA89730yjuRdUl