1 2 3 4
4Msfam
4Msfam New Reader
8/6/09 11:00 p.m.

Wait, what happened to the uneven number of cylinders? ... Cool that you bought a car for the other half though... plans? Stock, street prepared? Pics? I'm afraid to ask how'd you find it...

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/6/09 11:14 p.m.

Lolz, that was a brain fart I got caught up in the 3 cylinders per head thing.

Plans are to get it cleaned up (it's moldy and NASTY), and get it running. Once we've determined it runs/drives and is worth saving (it ran when parked so hopefully...) then we'll address wheels/tires and go from there.

It's a co-workers kids car. It got broken in to and he let it sit because he didn't want to drive it with no driver's 1/4 window. It's been sitting ~6-8 months.

I'm thinking some sort of ST class (I dunno which one it's in) to allow for some mods and keep the cost low. I'd like a fun to drive, reliable, econobox for under $500 total. I've got $450 left in the budget. Should be fun!

P71
8/6/09 11:17 p.m.

This is what it looks like (except add in some mold and minus a window):

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Reader
8/6/09 11:25 p.m.

$450 left in the budget??? I have a great idear. Try $1960 left in the budget...

get my drift?

PaulY
PaulY Reader
8/6/09 11:40 p.m.

Nice score, i know nothing about these things but any oddball old performance type car is cool. Yes more pics.

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/7/09 12:47 a.m.

I ran my 87 CSX in STS down in Eugene and had a great time with it.

FWD Performance makes a nice strut tower brace for the K cars. I have a Daytona quick ratio rack in good shape. Eibach springs can be found on eBay, but I have to look at the STS rules again to make sure they are legal. Koni's are getting hard to find, but not impossible.

The V6 electronics are neutered from the factory with no real fix without going to MegaSquirt or the like. The same basic block was used in many, many Mitsu products in various sizes from 2.5 to 3.8 liters in SOHC and DOHC form. They've had variable valve timing plus the twin turbo version used in the 3000GT.

Basically, the sky is the limit on the engine if you're up to it.

John Spiva, the purveyor of all that is Polyurethane in the FWD Chrysler world is here in Oregon and part of the local club. Check out http://www.PolyBushings.com. The motor mounts are practically necesary with these cars.

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy New Reader
8/7/09 7:38 a.m.

A friend of mine had a Shelby Shadow. He kept talking about how awesome it was. I didn't get it at the time - I was like, "come on, it's just a E36 M3 box Shadow." So he took me for a ride. 80 before the end of the on-ramp and still accelerating. That learned me.

So that could be a parts source for you too. A 3.0 V6 in that car should be a bit of a mover in a straight line, but I'm guessing it'll plow like pig in the corners. Still, could be worse. :)

P71
8/7/09 8:39 a.m.

I have less than $1500 in my RX-7 still, so $2000 is WAY too much to have in a Duster. We just want to keep it simple and fun. Not looking to dominate a class or anything, just get her into driving and have a decent little spare car that we both like.

We've got some friends coming over today to help try and drag it home. If all else fails we'll unload Josh's LS1 RX7 and use their car trailer. I'm hoping we can tow strap it. Or hell, push-bumper the POS home!

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
8/7/09 10:27 a.m.

well, I was correct in it being a K-derivitive

iceracer
iceracer HalfDork
8/7/09 10:32 a.m.

How can you go wrong for only 50 bucks.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
8/7/09 12:45 p.m.

are the DOHC V6 non-turbo motors from the 3000gt's reasonably priced? I always thought they sounded pretty good for a V6.

fiat22turbo
8/7/09 4:24 p.m.

Dunno, I'd rather have the larger version from the mitsu trucks. 3.8 liters and dual cams. Of course the later MIVEC v6 in the Eclipse is relayed as well.

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy New Reader
8/7/09 5:59 p.m.

The 3.8 in my Grand Caravan was pretty ballsy, despite hauling an AWD minivan around. Gave me a class win at an ice time trial, too. That and its smaller 3.3 brother are Chrysler motors, not Mitsubishi. The 3.0 went into the minivans - wonder if the bigger ones would fit...

fiat22turbo
8/7/09 8:03 p.m.

Sigh, that was why I said Mitsu trucks, not minivans. The Mitsu 3.8 was not used in the cars as far as I can tell, just the SUVs and such.

I do agree that the Chrysler 3.8 was pretty good, especially for a pushrod v6 and surprising that a 1/2 liter of displacement would make such a big difference on a v6

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/7/09 8:17 p.m.

I want my 2 minutes back after going though all these posts.

Strip the interior and make an autocrosser out of it.

Fit_Is_Slo
Fit_Is_Slo New Reader
8/7/09 9:15 p.m.
White_and_Nerdy wrote: The 3.8 in my Grand Caravan was pretty ballsy, despite hauling an AWD minivan around. Gave me a class win at an ice time trial, too. That and its smaller 3.3 brother are Chrysler motors, not Mitsubishi. The 3.0 went into the minivans - wonder if the bigger ones would fit...

The 3.0 in my caravan does just fine

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5VCjmq69v1ELjb1a22pu9J7NhTMUKw4bowTvt8bJyVBNEuemGpR0XW8Bs65PUazW