TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Dork
5/4/21 6:54 p.m.

When you built your P71, was the 2 1/2 exhaust system worth the cost? About how much did you pick up on ET? 

Our 2009 Challenge P71 has the factory 2 inch system, but a few places the tailpipes are actually 1.5 inches. At a minimum we'll take off the factory tailpipes and put turndowns on our glasspacks on the car now. Our thought is selling the system on the car now and going budget with Summit 2 1/2 inch piping with glasspacks dumped under the car

P71's Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor P71: Readers Rides: (grassrootsmotorsports.com)

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
5/4/21 9:28 p.m.

I don't have a clue how much a factory dual pipe set up is worth, but if its something I can actuall afford, I'd be interested in it for my 03.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/4/21 9:31 p.m.

In reply to TIGMOTORSPORTS :

I had a very similar system on my P71, but built by a local shop. 2.5" from the cats through the mufflers, though I had under axle pipes and tailpipes instead of downturns. It was the single biggest gain and the car got down to the mid 14's with it. Well with the cost.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/4/21 10:06 p.m.

Turndowns for what?

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Dork
5/5/21 5:02 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Turndowns (an abbreviated tailpipe basically at angle towards the ground). These tend to get louder than just running a piece of pipe straight off the end of the muffler. There is room to run small tailpipes under the axle similar to what Javelin did. Our 2009 P71 has the factory fire suppression system and extra shield on the gas tank, so area to put in tailpipes is cramped - also led Ford to crimp down and actually flatten in an area the tailpipe circumference. 

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
5/5/21 7:56 a.m.

In reply to TIGMOTORSPORTS :

Turndowns for what!?

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
5/6/21 12:37 a.m.

In reply to buzzboy :

I have no clue what I just watched - or the relevance!

(I'm old, ain't I)

seadoorider
seadoorider New Reader
5/8/21 8:12 a.m.

Very topical question for me. One of my toys is a 72 F100 on a 2011 P71 chassis.  Last week I had the OE exhaust replaced from the pre-cats (needed to retain the O2 sensor loc) back. We used 2.5" pipe, an x pipe assembly into two magnaflow magma pack mufflers and concluding with a set of 04 Lightning tailpipes exiting in front of the pax side rear wheel. 

it sounds fantastic. Much lower pitched tone than before. (All OE pipes including H pipe into some cheapo straight through "mufflers" and turn downs behind the cab

Power wise maybe a bit more - hard to say - definably runs fantastic now but we replaced coil packs and plugs and fuel filter etc so turned a lot of knobs at once 

So one more vote in favor 

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Dork
5/11/21 5:02 a.m.

In reply to seadoorider :

good stuff

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6a0DsutpwovQEm5bozC73gLcFVdXhhhYjsV4WvDDQcfeJNGVp5GjB9CIyCqlVeSM