Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/27/13 9:44 p.m.

(And of course anybody else with an opinion)

Neighbor has a 13 Challenger R/T he bought for his 50th a few months ago. We took a cruise in the Javelin yesterday and he hates that his car is so much quieter than mine. He wants a nice rumbly exhaust, but doesn't want to spend $2K. It looks like the mufflers are the end of the system, do they make axle-backs? Thoughts/opinions?

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
4/27/13 10:28 p.m.

There should be both mufflers and resonators under that Challenger. The mufflers at the end are crazy large and heavy.

Magnaflow makes an axle back system, but it's not cheap. For a little bit more he can get a 3" TTI cat-back system using Magnaflow mufflers on it. TTI is listing it fitting through '11 on the Challengers, but I can check with them on Monday to see if they have tested it on the '12-13 cars.

In between the two Flowmaster has a cat back system.

The other option is to get some mufflers that he likes the sound of and have a local exhaust shop graft them into the stock pipes. If he's leaving the rest of the car stock, some better sounding mufflers on the stock pipe is probably the best bang for the buck.

I have a customer with a '12 R/T. Got him some new wheels. Tires are getting ordered this week. I'll put it up on the lift and take a good look at the exhaust system and see what aftermarket mufflers would fit under there.

Javelin
4/28/13 8:24 a.m.

Thanks Rob! I think he wants something bolt-in. Can you get me prices on the options? When I talk him into it I'll have him order from you.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
4/28/13 8:45 a.m.

Michael,

Sure, thanks! I'll price them out on Monday.

daytonaer
daytonaer HalfDork
4/28/13 11:31 a.m.

Dodge put different exhaust under the car depending on options.

The auto R/T will have the smallest and quietest exhaust. The manual trans R/T will have a larger diameter exhaust which is slightly louder, the SRT8 exhaust is the largest and loudest. I believe sizes are 2.25 auto, 2.5 manual and 3" srt.

I have a '12 with the manual transmission. The exhaust has become slightly louder after break in, I currently have 15k miles on it, and it is noticeably louder than it was when new. I have come to appreciate a tolerable exhaust on highway trips. You can hear the roar when you step on it, but it is quiet at cruise, a very well engineered exhaust IMO.

The SRT8 got shorty type headers and a 3" exhaust: headers, downpipes with cats, resonators and rear mufflers. I have heard the SRT8 had valves in the mufflers, but don't have actual knowledge what year that started.

The R/T has log manifolds, downpipes with cats, resonators, then rear mufflers.

For a cheaper upgrade to loudness, many have removed the middle resonators and kept the rear mufflers.

For a little more cash, a full SRT system would be relatively loud but still bearable.

The SRT and R/T downpipes vary in both diameter and length, so if you are not swapping a manifold to tip setup, you will need to either cut with an adapter, or add pipe with an adapter. Other than that, you should be able to swap parts easily, stock take offs are available in many places.

Both a resonator delete and a "cat back" swap are significantly cheaper than buying aftermarket, additionally stock systems are stainless.

daytonaer
daytonaer HalfDork
4/28/13 11:37 a.m.

It appears Corsa systems are around $1500, "pypes" are 500-600 "cat" backs, I'm sure if he wants noise, the pypes are the way to go.

http://www.lmperformance.com/t/43-7/106.html

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
4/28/13 11:50 a.m.

A good friend got an MBRP system for his Challenger, it sounds great. They make a lot of good stuff for Mopars, I was really tempted by their Dakota setup.

http://www.mbrp.com/

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
4/28/13 6:11 p.m.

I think there are tons of sound clips of these setups floating around and they are pretty cheap/easy:

http://www.blastinbob.com/category_s/24.htm

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
4/28/13 6:17 p.m.

http://www.lxforums.com/board/f273/blastin-bob-videos-sound-clips-113229/

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
4/28/13 11:05 p.m.

The stock auto challenger sounds awful I agree

Javelin
4/28/13 11:35 p.m.

In reply to daytonaer:

His is the R/T Auto I think, but I'll have to go peak in his window to confirm. His boss has an SRT8 392 Super Bee, and he thinks that one is too quiet, too. He wants it to sound like my Javelin (2.5" duals with Hooker Aero Chamber mufflers and downturns).

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
4/28/13 11:41 p.m.

It'd be tempting to call around and find a local shop that can work up a cat-back using stock tips with Aero Chambers, that'd probably work out pretty well.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
h5Ib9bsqQrdtjKKLIJ071bfPMGnfC4BjQiB8w4taQXEmovrIt3nenU6oakLTf0BC