GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
1/26/21 10:12 a.m.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/120824673196169/?ref=search&referral_code=undefined

My hope would have been for a 65' Mercury Comet with a manual but...

I'm interested Wally because it's possible it'll handle the power goals of something huge, Mad-Max'ed and stupid on the cheap. But how do I know if the Chassis was well made? How do you check in person?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/26/21 10:18 a.m.

Also paging Gumby. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/26/21 12:43 p.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

From what I can see in the pics and the description my main concerns would be

1- is the cage well laid out?  No unsupported joints particularly in the center of the car. From the pics it doesn't look bad, the only thing that strikes me as a bit odd is the diagonal on the main roll bar behind the driver. Usually the high end is on the drivers side, I'm not sure why they did it that way or if it's a big deal.

2 If nothing looks bad get a good look at all the joints. Do the fit together well?  Clean welds all around, did the miss anything? 

3 Is it straight?  Look at all the suspension mounts. Are they the same on both sides? Are the frame rails symmetrical?  You don't want obvious signs of a hard hit.  

Being a hobby stock car all the suspension points should be where the factory put them so they shouldn't have messed any of that up and if they did it should be done well enough to not stand out in an inspection.  From the pics nothing terrible jumps out.  It also looks like a later chassis probably mid 70s though I'm not a big ford person. The Galaxy should be rear steer and have strut rods instead of lower A frames. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xnAmvr6TTe02Zg2Qf8trRB2XQwPZstpGtvDaGB0bpTdFB7UgmJL6h9GwtjVbjLIg