1 2
ryanty22
ryanty22 HalfDork
6/4/14 11:28 a.m.

For my money I have never seen GoJo or any dedicated automotive hand cleaner that works as well as palm olive or dawn dish liquid soap and a little hot water. Any of you seen similar results for cutting the grease from wrenching off your hands and arms?

ryanty22
ryanty22 HalfDork
6/4/14 11:29 a.m.

Plus Palm Olive isnt near as bad about drying out your hands as the automotive soaps

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
6/4/14 11:29 a.m.

Dawn + 1000

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/4/14 11:31 a.m.

I use Fast Orange for really really dirty hands. Dish soap doesn't touch that anywhere near as fast or as thoroughly.

For normal day to day, i use dish soap. First WITHOUT water to start. Rinse off, second application with wet hands. Roll.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/4/14 11:33 a.m.

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
6/4/14 11:33 a.m.

Dish soap + used coffee grounds = awesome cleaner. Learned it from GRM. Way better than GoJo.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
6/4/14 11:37 a.m.

Cra-Z soap. No idea what's in it, but it takes anything off of anything else and doesn't tear up your hands.

series8217
series8217 Reader
6/4/14 11:41 a.m.

I'm a big fan of Worx. This stuff is like magic. It's a powder.

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/4/14 12:01 p.m.
dculberson wrote: Dish soap + used coffee grounds = awesome cleaner. Learned it from GRM. Way better than GoJo.

I thought it was dish soap plus saw dust. Coffee grounds are cool though as I have a lot more of those.

cdowd
cdowd Reader
6/4/14 12:25 p.m.

In reply to dculberson:

Thats what I use. It works very well

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/4/14 12:32 p.m.

I added a bit of Blue dawn to my bottle of Gojo. Works perfect. No water used until rinsing.

Rob R.

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
6/4/14 12:43 p.m.

When men were men and soap was soap borax is what was used. Might not work on soft supple hands.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
6/4/14 12:43 p.m.

I use Ivory along with a nail brush, but the results are pretty much the same for any dish soap.

Here's another tip: When I was a kid, I'd watch my mother cutting up onions in the kitchen and she'd scrub her hands with celery salt afterwards to get rid of the onion smell. When I got older and started working on cars I remembered that celery salt trick - it actually works pretty well for cutting the smell of gasoline or other solvents.

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
6/4/14 12:51 p.m.
stan wrote:
dculberson wrote: Dish soap + used coffee grounds = awesome cleaner. Learned it from GRM. Way better than GoJo.
I thought it was dish soap plus saw dust. Coffee grounds are cool though as I have a lot more of those.

Coffee grounds.. and it works great. Makes you smell like coffee, which can be good or bad depending on how you feel about it.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
6/4/14 1:47 p.m.

I go to Harbor Freight when there's a sale and stock up on nitrile gloves, then I don't need soap.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/4/14 1:48 p.m.

I think I have some Permatex stuff with pumice right now. But honestly, since I started wearing nitrile gloves when wrenching, I find that I don't need the super-soaps nearly as often.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
6/4/14 2:21 p.m.

gojo works for me … but Palmolive does too … if I'm downstairs I usually finish up with Lava soap

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
6/4/14 2:34 p.m.

Working at the bike shop I discovered Phil Wood's hand cleaner. It has grit in it like gojo, but it doesn't dry your skin out so much. Amazon carries it.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
6/4/14 2:37 p.m.

If you are using it as a romantic lubricant - palmolive is probably the non-toxic, safe way to go. Whatever you do... do not use FastOrange

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
6/4/14 2:40 p.m.

Real men use powdered laundry detergent. You will sing when you rinse it off!

In all sincerity though, I do find the likes of automotive cleaners to work better than the likes of Dawn when my hands are thoroughly grimed up. I keep a pump jug of whichever citrus based gritty automotive cleanser is on sale.

And a good scrub brush.

ryanty22
ryanty22 HalfDork
6/4/14 2:42 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: If you are using it as a romantic lubricant - palmolive is probably the non-toxic, safe way to go. Whatever you do... do not use FastOrange

LMAO, I think they make special products for that (like country crock)

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
6/4/14 2:45 p.m.
foxtrapper wrote: Real men use powdered lye. You *will* sing when you rinse it off!

FTFY

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
6/4/14 3:11 p.m.

This is what I use, but I didn't know that it was a thing. The grounds are an excellent abrasive, and you can't beat the tingling sensation from caffeinated hands.

ryanty22
ryanty22 HalfDork
6/4/14 3:14 p.m.
Mitchell wrote:
This is what I use, but I didn't know that it was a thing. The grounds are an excellent abrasive, and you can't beat the tingling sensation from caffeinated hands.

Junkies

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
6/4/14 3:44 p.m.

Funny, I don't find Dawn is as good as most dedicated handcleaners and it drys my skin out. I mean, it is OK, but I find a palmful of Goop gets the grease off much better, with little scrubbing and it isn't as harsh.

I've used Dawn with sugar in a pinch-- both things that are readily available in the office break room when you've changed a tire on the way to work.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
F0grNTusSEDoydH0s0igSmfajltbrzy3BBsCVAB7AGnxsYiJ1W4fxo5jPwzUkFcD