CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
10/17/21 6:26 p.m.

Hi all, 

Got another problem I'd like another set of minds on.

The parking brake light and chime are driving me nuts on my 2006 E250. The light/chime comes on randomly and will stay on for increasing lengths of time (brake is not on).  I'm feeling increasingly annoyed.

My first thought was the switch that the parking brake pedal touches was going out. Its a common problem. I replaced the switch, but the problem has continued.

The brake fluid in the reservoir is full. That can be another reason the light can go off. I see no issues with the wiring under the dash.

I do notice that the light/chime come on more when the vehicle is cold, like within the first ten or fifteen minutes of driving, then it mostly stops. Mostly. And just to be clear, it's not on all the time, it comes on and dings like 15 times, then goes away for a few minutes, then comes back again for another 10 dings, then goes off again.

My thinking is to next replace the sensor in the brake fluid reservoir. Anything I'm missing?

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/18/21 7:11 a.m.

Because I know when the E brake is on and when it's off, I'd just cut the wire.  On my Saab 900 though, if you pull out the chimer thing hiding under the back seat, the overhead light never comes back on.  Coincidence or some electrical engineer messing with us?

YMMV.

wae
wae UberDork
10/18/21 9:40 a.m.

I had a 2006 e150 that did the same thing.  It doesn't chime for the brake fluid sensor, just the parking brake.  I can't remember what it was exactly, but it might have been the front parking brake cable assembly.  Somewhere in there is a spring that holds the pedal up and when it breaks, the pedal will bounce down and make the truck thing you've engaged the brake.

For a temporary measure, I zip-tied my pedal up while I waited for the new part to arrive.  I think I broke the zip tie four or five times because putting the parking brake on is such an automatic thing, I'd stomp the pedal before realizing what I'd done.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
10/18/21 10:39 a.m.

@914driver, yeah I could cut or disconnect the wire, but I am nervous about not realizing I have it on. The brake is pretty loose, and it can be hard to tell. Maybe it's a good reason to tighten the brake.

@wae, I am pretty confident the problem is not related to the pedal. Everything seems okay with the pedal and I already replaced the switch that contacts the pedal.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yZNoEI7zGLJGNCBA6cPzBzbHXVzgJdX9IwE5HPPKw5dxw3MRfJ1gVdae2RzGkyPt