ea_sport
ea_sport Reader
9/8/12 6:54 p.m.

I had an argument with my friend about parking brake for Volvo XC90. He drives an '03 XC90 and he was told that the parking brake was different than the front and rear brakes (i.e. there is more than 4 brakes in addition to the 2 front and 2 rear brakes). I am pretty sure the parking brake is part of the rear brakes just like any other car but his mechanic told him that it's not part of the rear brakes. Is it true that the parking brake is not part of the rear brakes for a Volvo XC90? Is there some sort of inboard brake ala the old Jags?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/8/12 7:11 p.m.

It's probably a drum setup inside the rear discs.

11110000 Reader
9/8/12 8:16 p.m.

In reply to Woody: WINNAR!

ea_sport
ea_sport Reader
9/8/12 8:28 p.m.
11110000 wrote: In reply to Woody: WINNAR!

Where is it located and how many does it use? Thanks.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy SuperDork
9/8/12 9:46 p.m.

All Volvos since 1968 have 4 wheel disc brakes, one caliper per wheel, plus a small set of cable actuated shoes on the rear wheels that act on the inside of the drum formed by the hat of the rear rotor. It has become a pretty standard design for lots of vehicles.

The other option on 4 wheel disc cars is a cable operated (or in new cars, electrically operated) screw in the caliper that applies the same pads as used for the service brakes.

WhiteLX
WhiteLX Reader
9/9/12 12:45 a.m.

You have to remove the rear caliper and the rear rotor to gain access to the two small brake shoes used for the parking brake. The brake shoes fit inside the rear hub on the brake rotor. Unless someone has been driving with the parking brake on, they typically last for a very long time.

Jack
Jack SuperDork
9/14/12 4:33 p.m.
WhiteLX wrote: Unless someone has been driving with the parking brake on, they typically last for a very long time.

or they delaminate, seperate the friction material from shoe and jam.

I just went through that with an 05 XC90, with about 70k miles. Other than that incident, everything is great. I did switch to ceramic pads when I changed out the disk pads, as the Volvo OEM ones made the wheels filthy.

Jack

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Reader
9/14/12 4:36 p.m.

Some cars, mainly old Dodges, and trucks, used a 5th drum on the tail shaft of the trans.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qNCDpcnL8sN3y4UWqqqrvH4vgIzsCaQFfKV3Cx83Bx3B7P6BFLjZLbxAIOsLbfnB