1 2 3 4
pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
10/19/15 4:57 p.m.

Who wants to watch a bunch of drunken idiots ruin a perfectly good car? If you're down to laugh at us or turn a wrench, look for us in the back of the hotel parking lot Thursday night.

It can't be worse then last year's disaster that was our Fiero.

Ninja edit: I bought it this morning.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Reader
10/19/15 5:04 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3:

I would like to watch.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
10/19/15 5:04 p.m.

needs NY mets sticker

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
10/19/15 5:05 p.m.
Andy Neuman wrote: In reply to pimpm3: I would like to watch.

I heard your good at that...

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Reader
10/19/15 5:09 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3:

I'll bring the lawn chair and half the money for this car. May even be convinced to pick up beverages along the way.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
10/19/15 5:19 p.m.

Sounds like a deal, we can probably trick passerbys into buidling it for us. I am bringing a tent and a lawn chair.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 HalfDork
10/19/15 5:25 p.m.

Oh heck yes. Wish I could be there for this.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Reader
10/19/15 5:41 p.m.

If we don't finish in the top 50 I'll be extremely disappointed.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
10/19/15 5:43 p.m.

I expect top 25.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
10/19/15 5:47 p.m.

Just stripping the interior should net hundreds of pounds of weight savings.

Wish I knew anything about the suspension.

Moreso, I wish I knew how to up the knock limit some. If you can find software to change the code, I can give you some ideas on what to change.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/19/15 5:54 p.m.

Hm.....I am in florida with my amy that weekend.....

Will
Will SuperDork
10/19/15 5:59 p.m.

Moates Quarter Horse is the preferred tuning solution for OBD1 Fords, though that car could be OBD2. Can't tell from the pics if it's a 96 or earlier.

Assuming the stock suspension is still on it, it's airbags at all four corners, but the bags have a propensity to pop after a while. Any springs/shocks for an 89-97 Thunderbird or Cougar will fit, though the Lincoln came with different lower rear control arms and coil springs will require some sort of perch or fixture to center them.

The rearend is a 3.07 open 8.8 diff in an aluminum carrier. Any Trac-Lok 8.8 and gears from an IRS car (and maybe a solid axle car, don't remember) should work.

The wheels are 5x108, so have fun with that.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
10/19/15 6:02 p.m.

Looks like if not already done, a coil conversion (from the air bags), is less than $500. Well less.

The question is- can you have the parts delivered to the hotel by Thursday.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
10/19/15 6:05 p.m.
Will wrote: Moates Quarter Horse is the preferred tuning solution for OBD1 Fords, though that car could be OBD2. Can't tell from the pics if it's a 96 or earlier. Assuming the stock suspension is still on it, it's airbags at all four corners, but the bags have a propensity to pop after a while. Any springs/shocks for an 89-97 Thunderbird or Cougar will fit, though the Lincoln came with different lower rear control arms and coil springs will require some sort of perch or fixture to center them. The rearend is a 3.07 open 8.8 diff in an aluminum carrier. Any Trac-Lok 8.8 and gears from an IRS car (and maybe a solid axle car, don't remember) should work. The wheels are 5x108, so have fun with that.

Being that he says that it's 21 years old, I'm thinking it's a 94.

If you can figure out which spark table is borderline spark (maybe in the directions) add 5 to the whole table. I wish I could remember what the WOT fuel target is...

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
10/19/15 6:11 p.m.

It is a 1994. Obd1.

It was already converted to springs by previous owner.

Our plans are weight loss, nitrous, and Hoosiers. Hitting the junkyard tommorow morning to get some wheels. Volvo, taurus, thunderbird and sable wheels all fit. Finding a set of 15's shouldn't be that hard.

I am not going to change anything till Thursday. It wouldn't be a parking lot build if I did.

It's actually pretty fast and catches a wheel going into second.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
10/19/15 6:45 p.m.

Beige-tastic!

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
10/19/15 6:55 p.m.

I'll be watching…or putting my Maxima back together after the 700 mile drive.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
10/19/15 6:56 p.m.

I believe previous discussion on this car had the rear air bags replaced with springs already. Wondering if a coil or two cut from all springs would be a good improvement to roll stiffness and such on the cheap. And how easy that would be to do in a hotel parking lot... Good tires + weight removal + above means winning, right?

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Reader
10/19/15 7:07 p.m.

In reply to pres589:

If history serves us well it means blowing the head gasket on the second autocross run and running a 21 in the 1/4 mile.

Will
Will SuperDork
10/19/15 8:54 p.m.
pimpm3 wrote: Volvo, taurus, thunderbird and sable wheels all fit. Finding a set of 15's shouldn't be that hard.

Touché on the 1994 bit. Math is hard.

As for wheels, I believe the Lincolns had 11.6" front rotors, as opposed to the 10.8" rotors on the T-Bird and Cougar. I'm not sure 15s will fit in front, though perhaps you're just talking about drag Hoosiers for the back. If so, no problems there.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
10/19/15 9:05 p.m.

I will test fit in the junk yard. If it's a no go on the 15's we have a backup plan.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese UltraDork
10/19/15 9:48 p.m.

So, you're saying you need me to lower another car in the parking lot. Gotcha.

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
10/19/15 10:51 p.m.

I read somewhere that that particular incarnation of the 4.6 is VERY stout, takes boost very well and can go up to 700 hp on the stock internals.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
10/19/15 11:16 p.m.

In reply to The_Jed:

400 Shot!

Mezzanine
Mezzanine HalfDork
10/19/15 11:59 p.m.

Threads like this make me wish for a tiny moment that I didn't live on the opposite end of the continent from this event.

You boys document the crap out of this whole thing for the rest of us, you hear?

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
K4EDV1LDrAZxwQoLkxrrScNvQFK6YSAcvqnk96avCCPG9pyKUsemowS9TJKxhqcM