1 2 3 4
alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
10/20/15 6:38 a.m.
pimpm3 wrote: It is a 1994. Obd1. It was already converted to springs by previous owner. Our plans are weight loss, nitrous, and Hoosiers. Hitting the junkyard tommorow morning to get some wheels. Volvo, taurus, thunderbird and sable wheels all fit. Finding a set of 15's shouldn't be that hard. I am not going to change anything till Thursday. It wouldn't be a parking lot build if I did. It's actually pretty fast and catches a wheel going into second.

Don't get OEM wheels- they are really heavy.

Unless you have no choice that is.

Since it's already on springs, I assume you've run the calculations to precisely cut the correct number of coils on each corner. Or perhaps you will wait until you are done with the weight program. You may consider parking next to a dumpster. Or have a good pick up for storage, if the parts go back in.

Been a long time since I've been in one of those.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
10/20/15 6:50 a.m.
Mezzanine wrote: Threads like this make me wish for a tiny moment that I didn't live on the opposite end of the continent from this event. You boys document the crap out of this whole thing for the rest of us, you hear?

We will really try. Personally, this is my 4th year attending but I watched from home for ever. I will say, it is hard to catch the real spirit and action in pictures. In addition, posting updates could be a full time job. A tough accomplishment while still trying to compete with one (or two) cars!

I will also be posting a travel log from my Q45 starting Weds.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
10/20/15 6:59 a.m.

This morning was the first time I looked at these pictures on a full monitor, not just phone.
I must say, that's a good looking headlight there. How much water does it hold? No headlight buffing kit is going to help that.

From the rear, the car looks very good, aside from a little falling trim piece.
What I do see in this picture is just look at "The Affluence". The neighbors must be wondering if you got a promotion. Maybe a big pay raise?

They may also wonder if your having a mid life crisis. Perhaps a bout with depression. Such responsible beige choices. Maybe you really are the ultimate family man your wife wants you to be. The pinnacle of responsibility.

We'll see if they think the same when the car returns home (if it does.)

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
10/20/15 8:06 a.m.

So, is this the 3rd car you've bought for this years challenge?

spin_out
spin_out Reader
10/20/15 8:15 a.m.

If I remember correctly you should worry more about the transmission than the motor. I'll cross my fingers for you. Glad to hear it already has springs. I look forward to seeing this thing in person.
I have one of those motor covers mounted on my garage wall with a rectangular clock mounted in the middle.
P.S. I remember having to go on the interweb to look up how to change the oil filter.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Reader
10/20/15 8:20 a.m.

Does anyone have metal nitrous bottle brackets? If not we'll rob them off the LS400 when the time comes.

I still think it would be easy to finish top 15 with a 1.8 Miata with only a day of preparation. Especially with all the Miata knowledge and spare parts that would be available.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
10/20/15 8:43 a.m.
2002maniac wrote: So, is this the 3rd car you've bought for this years challenge?

Technically its the fourth. Lincoln MK8, GS400, John's Q45, and the Volvo 850 Turbo I sold to edwardh80.

Like 7% of the challenge cars this year somehow passed through my hands.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
10/20/15 8:45 a.m.
2002maniac wrote: So, is this the 3rd car you've bought for this years challenge?

Andy has the LS400 that he is bringing. He bought a '02 Q45 also but not bringing.

Jeremy (pimpm3) is bringing the Lexus GS400.

I am bringing' 90 Q45.

The Lincoln is a financial joint venture between those two but I have a hand in logistics. My co-driver will be shuttling the Lincoln to the event.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
10/20/15 8:46 a.m.

We should run all the cars under the same team name.

theenico
theenico Reader
10/20/15 8:47 a.m.

"The Flotilla of Affluence" has a nice ring to it.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/20/15 9:53 a.m.
theenico wrote: "The Flotilla of Affluence" has a nice ring to it.

More like "Flotilla of Effluence"

theenico
theenico Reader
10/20/15 10:52 a.m.
Stefan (Not Bruce) wrote:

Nice.

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/20/15 11:00 a.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: Andy has the LS400 that he is bringing. He bought a '02 Q45 also but not bringing. Jeremy (pimpm3) is bringing the Lexus GS400. I am bringing' 90 Q45. The Lincoln is a financial joint venture between those two but I have a hand in logistics. My co-driver will be shuttling the Lincoln to the event.

I guess I will play chauffeur for those who happen to break their car and need to get back and forth from track to hotel...

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Reader
10/20/15 11:34 a.m.

In reply to tb:

Goals for weekend, make questionable decisions about how much nitrous to run.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel HalfDork
10/20/15 11:38 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: Just stripping the interior should net hundreds of pounds of weight savings. Wish I knew anything about the suspension. Moreso, I wish I knew how to up the knock limit some. If you can find software to change the code, I can give you some ideas on what to change.

Rear suspension if it's a VIII should be full IRS with airbags. it's the same as the thunderbird and the Cobra. (cobra got stiffer shocks/springs.) You can switch over the shocks from a cobra car. (rear).

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/20/15 11:41 a.m.
Stefan (Not Bruce) wrote:

That's just great.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
10/20/15 11:42 a.m.

Anyone have an extra harness?

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel HalfDork
10/20/15 11:43 a.m.
Will wrote: Moates Quarter Horse is the preferred tuning solution for OBD1 Fords, though that car could be OBD2. Can't tell from the pics if it's a 96 or earlier. Assuming the stock suspension is still on it, it's airbags at all four corners, but the bags have a propensity to pop after a while. Any springs/shocks for an 89-97 Thunderbird or Cougar will fit, though the Lincoln came with different lower rear control arms and coil springs will require some sort of perch or fixture to center them. The rearend is a 3.07 open 8.8 diff in an aluminum carrier. Any Trac-Lok 8.8 and gears from an IRS car (and maybe a solid axle car, don't remember) should work. The wheels are 5x108, so have fun with that.

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/suspension/index.html

also,

http://members.tccoa.com/dlf/Article.html

what door codes on tbirds are what gears. http://www.tccoa.com/articles/gears/gears.html

an explorer rear dif is an 8.8 so you could surf those to find one that's trac lock and the rate rate for you...

peruse all the articles in there, as there is one on switching to mustang hubs/brakes (huuuuge upgrade for cheeeaaap esp if using JY parts.) cheaper wheel availibility. etc..

drdisque
drdisque Reader
10/20/15 11:49 a.m.

Taurus/Sable 15's are only 6.5" wide. I would recommend against that although you can probably pinch some pretty wide hoosiers onto them. Windstar and Continental wheels are wider

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel HalfDork
10/20/15 11:51 a.m.

Check out that TCCOA forum, for 400 bucks I got a set of real SVT 17x7 cobra wheels that were made for the thunderbird/mark platform... (mustang is 5x4.5 vs 4.25 or w/e)... They show up form time to time on there. lightweight and strong...

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
10/20/15 11:51 a.m.

Tried 4 different styles of 15 inch wheels at the junk yard this morning none would clear the caliper. That means no Hoosiers.

Picked up a set of OEM 16 inch wheels. They will make the logistics easier since we will now be mounting up a set of used RS3's that John sourced Friday morning. It doesn't get any more last minute then that.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
10/20/15 12:05 p.m.

I have two Tauruses in the fleet. I'll pay for the mounting if I can have the rims afterwards. That way, I can take home my tires and the rims they are on. We'll work something out.

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/20/15 12:29 p.m.
pimpm3 wrote: Anyone have an extra harness?

Ask SVreX; I think he mentioned having a bunch of old harnesses and I know he will be coming down to Gainesville...

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
10/20/15 1:14 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: I have two Tauruses in the fleet. I'll pay for the mounting if I can have the rims afterwards. That way, I can take home my tires and the rims they are on. We'll work something out.

Cool we will figure it out, I have no use for them after this weekend.

Esoteric Nixon
Esoteric Nixon UltraDork
10/20/15 1:23 p.m.

This thread makes me so envious that I can't get out of work to be there. Next year, it's on, and I hope I won't be the only aristocrat.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
azhUpEn2KRXmY4ybsrmLGtMruSt2ddSCuGEvLfzzQDKDrsRMo0bqMXd7J0pAOL1r