MattGent
MattGent Reader
9/6/19 8:43 a.m.

This is not a for sale post.

My track beater miata's engine is finally toast.  I'm debating parting it, selling it whole as-is, or parking it until I have time to find and install an engine.  I think I'd like something faster with a full cage.

Can you help me with street value for a few parts to gauge whether parting is worthwhile?

And what is the easiest way to get rid of a shell, and ballpark cost (or recycle value) for that?

Car is a '99 sport.  Parts that may have value:

Hardtop with defrost, pretty good condition (one small gelcoat chip), light blue

15x8 6ULs, bronze, a few scratches (will inspect for cracks), with half-worn RS4s

FM V-maxx extreme 2.0 suspension kit, coilovers and swaybars

Original Hard-S bilsteins / springs / swaybars / 15x6 wheels up in the attic

Older autopower 4pt rollbar with SFI padding & wrap

Trailer hitch with custom 2" receiver adapter

~60k mile 5spd with Exedy 10805 clutch with about 5000 miles and 10 track days on it.  5X racing shifter bushings.

Torsen diff

Raceland header & MBS mandrel bent exhaust

The car runs & drives, but the engine is toast - wrist pin retainer found in the oil pan and a stripped spark plug hole.  AC works.  Paint is shot, soft top is shot, interior has some tears, steering wheel (which was sweet! when new) is peeling.  No rust, no wrecks.  160k miles, and maybe 30 total track days.  All the aftermarket parts were put on about 3 years ago, 5000 miles and 10 track days ago.

I figure the car as it sits, minus the hardtop, is maybe $12-500?  And my time to take it apart has value.  I guess I could swap the wheels & suspension back on and just sell those plus the hardtop separately.

Thanks

Matt

Rodan
Rodan Dork
9/6/19 10:01 a.m.

A while back, I bought a '99 that was pretty stock with a blown motor and some hail damage for $500.  It did have a 4.3 Torsen and Konig Rewinds.  Pic for an idea of condition:

You should be able to pick up a used engine for under $1000 and get it running again.  A later VVT engine will swap right in and run (just swap the manifolds from the '99), but the VVT won't be active without aftermarket electronics.  It'll drive fine.  That's what I did with mine.  I lucked out and picked up a VVT engine of CL for $550.  That would be my advice.

The whole car, minus the hardtop would be under $1k here in AZ, probably closer to $500.  At $1500 with the hardtop, someone might buy it for the hardtop and part it the rest.

If it's an original factory hardtop, it should bring $800-1200, depending on condition and color.  Parting out your other aftermarket stuff is probably $.40-.50 on the dollar, depending on the part and condition.

As far as ditching the shell, if you're going to buy another NB to race, and have the room to store it... it's nice to have a spare shell laying around.

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/6/19 1:47 p.m.

Just get a used motor from Treasure Coast, unless you no longer feel like keeping and running the car.  

Sometimes it's time to move onto something else car wise.  

Personally, if i don't have time to replace a Miata engine I don't have much time to part something out either.

calteg
calteg Dork
9/6/19 5:58 p.m.

Other considerations if you pursue a part out....do you have stock pieces to replace the aftermarket wheels and suspension? Value of the chassis goes down considerably if it can't roll...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0cRHTF8fXvnmRxD7qrrm7YSeIJwJitldH8dIzu1K460GlfxEJ4eZacbCUAkyRxYt