1 2
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/9/21 8:19 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

If you are buying a new car, it makes more financial sense to take out a loan than to pay cash.  Your earnings in the market will greatly outpace your interest.

I used this logic to finance my last couple cars.  I netted a percent or so. Where the math gets a little fuzzy is the fact that you are drawing down on your investment to pay off the note so compounded interest goes down.  The new math for car loans works so that the interest is calculated up front and then added to the loan amount and then the total is divided by the number of months. Thus paying off principal early does not help you.  You are agreeing to pay back a total amount not an amount plus amortized interest. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
8/9/21 8:41 a.m.
dean1484 said:
ProDarwin said:

If you are buying a new car, it makes more financial sense to take out a loan than to pay cash.  Your earnings in the market will greatly outpace your interest.

I used this logic to finance my last couple cars.  I netted a percent or so. Where the math gets a little fuzzy is the fact that you are drawing down on your investment to pay off the note so compounded interest goes down.  The new math for car loans works so that the interest is calculated up front and then added to the loan amount and then the total is divided by the number of months. Thus paying off principal early does not help you.  You are agreeing to pay back a total amount not an amount plus amortized interest. 

Paying off principal early never helps you IF you are willing to invest the 'extra' money instead :)

See also: any thread were the idea of early mortgage payoff comes up.

chaparral
chaparral Dork
9/28/21 8:44 a.m.

The other thing to consider is the point of increasing your net worth - do you want stability or flexibility?

If you have a paid-for house, you've just reduced your monthly expenses by $$$$. Does this allow you to spend a little more time choosing your next job?

If you have a paid-for car, you've reduced your monthly expenses by $$$ and probably took $$$ off your auto-insurance payment when you dropped collision. Does this improve your ability to budget for repairs?

You could come out ahead by ten thousand dollars investing the cost of a new car and financing it, but what were you planning to do with your gains, and how much would a loss hurt?

Eraldert
Eraldert New Reader
9/30/22 10:41 a.m.

Luxury watch dealers usually make money by purchasing watches from wholesalers and selling them to customers for a higher price. In the case of pre-owned watches, they may purchase them from individuals or other dealers and then sell them for a profit. Also, if you're looking to save money while still enjoying luxury watches, check out https://joywallet.com/article/bingo-tour-review/ article on buying pre-owned watches. Good luck!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/30/22 11:02 a.m.

In reply to Eraldert :

I wonder specifically what changed your mind because this thread is filled with a lot of old information/rates.  

Shopping for cars?  I more suspect you are shopping for canoes.  

Region_Rat
Region_Rat New Reader
9/30/22 2:12 p.m.

Another vote for Lightstream, took only a few minutes and cash the next day.

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/1/22 7:49 a.m.

I used Lightstream.  Easy and fair rates for the current environment.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IZyMC9vkODztQFd9yYjyTWGktT6NOYTkTfeyuRXMBFvBZhQHIJpmOc3oWZBwPCvI