Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
5/22/13 7:09 a.m.

And I like the new Ohio design more than I thought I would.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
5/22/13 7:17 a.m.

LOL. The rig will be getting my call sign hopefully.

I got a kick out of IH8WIND.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/22/13 7:51 a.m.

Ohio plates are just white?

Saw an MR2 once with: R U MRS 2

Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
5/22/13 8:04 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver:

No, they're white with faded grey letters saying things (that I didn't really pay attention to), and a red triangle at the top. They're called "Ohio Pride" for some reason but no idea why.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/22/13 8:06 a.m.

I too like the new Ohio plates, much better than the last design.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/22/13 8:13 a.m.

So they won the battle with North Carolina? Birthplace of aviation.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
5/22/13 8:13 a.m.

nicely done

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/22/13 8:54 a.m.
914Driver wrote: So they won the battle with North Carolina? Birthplace of aviation.

One of the easiest ways to start a fight with somebody from Ohio is to say that North Carolina is the birthplace of flight. You will get a lecture about how the Wright brothers were born in Ohio and did most of their work into flight there. It is also highly likely that they will mention that more astronauts are from Ohio than from any other state.

This is your opening. Calmly say: "Huh. So, what you're telling me is that there is something about Ohio that really makes people want to flee the planet."

Be prepared to defend yourself.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/22/13 12:27 p.m.
Rusted_Busted_Spit wrote: I too like the new Ohio plates, much better than the last design.

Oh my this. I was waiting for the design change before registering the GTI.

Knurled
5/22/13 12:30 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: This is your opening. Calmly say: "Huh. So, what you're telling me is that there is something about Ohio that really makes people want to flee the planet."

And they always came back, too... "Moon's nice but it's no Ohio"

When you are driving I-70 and enter Indiana, the sign says "Thank you for visiting Ohio!" Subtext: The only reason to leave the state is because you live somewhere else.

Heck, it's so nice here, when we had a war with another state, hostilities mainly consisted of taunting and name-calling.

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/22/13 12:40 p.m.
914Driver wrote: So they won the battle with North Carolina? Birthplace of aviation.

Not sure about this.

Do they still have the tagline "First in Flight"?

I never liked that one. Sounds like a response to invading armies along the east coast...

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/22/13 1:07 p.m.

They stole it from the French.

yamaha
yamaha UltraDork
5/22/13 1:41 p.m.
Knurled wrote: When you are driving I-70 and enter Indiana, the sign says "Thank you for visiting Ohio!" Subtext: The only reason to leave the state is because you live somewhere else.

The first thing people notice entering Indiana is the higher speed limit and lack of revenuing police officers......

Conquest351
Conquest351 SuperDork
5/22/13 1:45 p.m.

Love the IH8WIND. LOL Great stuff! I think I'll splurge for personalized plates this year. 331 P71 on my 5.4 swapped Vic is perfect.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
5/22/13 1:52 p.m.
Jerry wrote: They're called "Ohio Pride" for some reason but no idea why.

I really hope you're not being serious...

Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
5/22/13 1:56 p.m.

In reply to Ian F:

I blame lack of coffee before posting and eyes half open.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
5/22/13 1:58 p.m.

HAHA! Love the one on the Xbox.

Knurled
5/22/13 4:40 p.m.
yamaha wrote: The first thing people notice entering Indiana is the higher speed limit and lack of revenuing police officers......

The speed limit in Ohio is 75... unless you're from out of state

Something to do with a speeding ticket that would only be $200 for an Ohioan turning into a $500 ticket for someone from elsewhere.

I don't get all the people saying that there's a lot of patrolling. Sometimes when I'd drive to Dayton, I'd only see three or four on the side of the road.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
5/22/13 5:25 p.m.

In reply to Knurled:

Come down from Detroit on I75 some time. Come to think of it, on a trip to Dayton, we drove 70 the whole way down as there was a car every 2 miles or so. On the way up, at night, you can hit Michigan and put the hammer down, cops don't even give you a dirty look unless you're doing 85+.

Knurled
5/22/13 7:07 p.m.

I saw eight patrol cars lined up in a row on I-90 in Avon Lake once. Looked like a scene from The Gumball Rally (the movie, not the rich-idiots-with-exotics crap) This was back when I had a girlfriend going to Oberlin and I'd set the cruise control to 94 and putz along. Far less traffic back then, too.

It's all about knowing your territory. There are certain places where you simply do not speed, period. (ahem Ashland, Mansfield, whatever burg it is on I-70 where the asphalt turns into incredibly loud concrete) but then there are also areas like what I used to call the Morrow County Empty Zone where you never ever saw anybody patrolling. Of course, this is also a 2 land section where you'll have the trucks going 55-60 in the right lane, and some doofus from PA or IN driving 55-60 in the left lane, and a mile of cars stuck behind them.

Last time I went for distance, I was tooling along around 80 or so, tailing a pack of cars/trucks at the same speed, and there was a patrol over the rise of a hill. Well, nobody else was slowing down... (In Ohio, patrol cars must be parked in a visible area, with lights on at night. If you get a ticket then it's a tax on your own lack of awareness) He pulled out. Well, crap. If I'm getting a ticket, no use slowing down, so I kept it on 80. He pulls up behind me, pulls up next to me... pulls up in front of me... MINUTES creeping by... Hits the brakes, darts behind me, flips the lights on.

5 years of driving this car, this the first time I was pulled over for no front plate. Not a word was mentioned over how fast I was going.

(and that's the story of why I have my front plate zip-screwed to the bumper)

nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
5/22/13 7:49 p.m.

Yeah they're stupid about that front plate thing. Born and raised in Ohio. I never ran a front plate on any of my cars. My then girlfriend, now wife, had a brand new car. Less than ten days old and was delivered without a front plate holder. She got pulled over and read the riot act for not having a front plate. I mean the dude was hostile about it.

BTW I'm so glad we left that E36 M3ty state. But in my experience the Tennessee Highway Patrol is on par if not worse than Ohio.

theenico
theenico New Reader
5/22/13 8:58 p.m.

I heard an old saying while living in Detroit:

"Ohio, the state between where you are and where you want to be."

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
5/22/13 9:21 p.m.
yamaha wrote:
Knurled wrote: When you are driving I-70 and enter Indiana, the sign says "Thank you for visiting Ohio!" Subtext: The only reason to leave the state is because you live somewhere else.
The first thing people notice entering Indiana is the higher speed limit and lack of revenuing police officers......

Actually heading West on 30 the speed limit drops from 65 in Ohio to 60 in Indiana. I am sitting in my lounge room 10 miles from the sign as we read this.

Sorry to burst your bubble

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/23/13 1:29 a.m.

Nicely done. True story, out of all of the cars we own/have owned, I can't recall once license plate number.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pcc0lY5IuBpwlMVqW3oXEzTre9JDzl6dc5cScInUuhXjC3uGozReOuHuGip0ThZh