1 2 3 4
Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
4/20/17 7:26 a.m.

Please please please please please.

I am SO sick of the software ripping out return entries, destroying lists, messing up image code etc...

I do no think ANYONE is in love with the current setup, we put up with it b/c we love GRM but man oh MAN is a lot of the forced stuff annoying.

i.e.

I'd love to be able to find threads I've started (so i can update build threads etc easily), instead of having to google my username to find them. Or page through all of my posts to find the thread I'm looking for.

Not having to double return to get rid of the auto 1 paragraph only philosophy...

Being able to subscribe to threads so I can see when Mazdeuce updates Fergus. Or tuna brushes the dust off and updates his truck.

Being able to actually create a list without taking hours to figure out how the software is going to edit it...

I personally think you chase a LOT of new user's away with the forum software. People who are literate look like complete morons with the way the software edits your post.

Sincerely,

Annoyed User.

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
4/20/17 7:30 a.m.

I'll agree, a switch to vBulletin or something more standard would be nice. Of course, depending on how proprietary the current forum software is, moving everything over could be a massive undertaking.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
4/20/17 7:32 a.m.

Eh, the forum software reminds me of my vehicles- it's crap but I love it anyway. Call it "character"

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
4/20/17 7:46 a.m.

I agree. vBulletin is widely used and works well.

But last time we talked about this, the GRM folks explained that the current forum software is a custom one-off that they made, so it would be extremely difficult to migrate to another platform.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi PowerDork
4/20/17 7:49 a.m.

You can subscribe by tapping the heart under the reply box.

You can take that off your list.

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
4/20/17 7:53 a.m.

In reply to chandlerGTi:

Then I just forget that it sends me email updates until I check my email and find out it's been bombed by thread update notifications, usually after I've already checked the thread.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/20/17 7:56 a.m.
Sky_Render wrote: But last time we talked about this, the GRM folks explained that the current forum software is a custom one-off that they made, so it would be extremely difficult to migrate to another platform.

Which is something everyone on the forum should totally understand. "Well, I didn't want to pay for the off the shelf solution, so I used a welder and a hammer and now the car only works if I use this very specific mix of parts that I happened to have around. Sure, it would be easier if I didn't have to build my own clutch friction discs every time I needed one and the car stalls if I brake too hard, but it was under $150"

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
4/20/17 8:05 a.m.
Chadeux wrote: In reply to chandlerGTi: Then I just forget that it sends me email updates until I check my email and find out it's been bombed by thread update notifications, usually after I've already checked the thread.

There's a fix for this: instead of having it email you, just have it silently subscribed. When you visit the forum, make the "subscribed threads" page your first visit. It'll show you what threads have updates and then you can continue browsing as usual.

Keith Tanner wrote:
Sky_Render wrote: But last time we talked about this, the GRM folks explained that the current forum software is a custom one-off that they made, so it would be extremely difficult to migrate to another platform.
Which is something everyone on the forum should totally understand. "Well, I didn't want to pay for the off the shelf solution, so I used a welder and a hammer and now the car only works if I use this very specific mix of parts that I happened to have around. Sure, it would be easier if I didn't have to build my own clutch friction discs every time I needed one and the car stalls if I brake too hard, but it was under $150"

vBulletin isn't free, but there are decent enough free options out there (like phpBB). So most of the issue comes down to figuring out how to migrate the data (and someone having the time to do it). But at the same time, a few additions / improvements to the current software would also get the job done.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
4/20/17 8:08 a.m.

Formatting and search are my only two complaints.

I find, when the format isn't jacked up, this is easier to read than other forums.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
4/20/17 8:10 a.m.

I actually like this forum software better. I find it easier to use than most of the others. Aside from formatting issues that is.

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
4/20/17 8:12 a.m.

Hi guys. We are going to be updating the forum soon to go along with the other site updates. I'll get with our developers and see how much of this we can get straightened out.

Thanks.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/20/17 8:28 a.m.

I get why it is what it is, but as a consumer, that doesn't mean I have to like it. Please switch to something common and off-the-shelf.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/20/17 8:29 a.m.

The hearts at the very bottom of the threads will subscribe you, the pull down menu at the top and bottom will take you to your "watch list" of subscribed threads.

For a numbered list, start the line with a number, type your text, 2 space bar presses, enter, next number, text, 2 spaces.

I still have trouble with bullet points so I can't answer that one.

Where there is the "preview" below where you enter text, preview is a pull down menu that hides a syntax guide for formatting.

The only thing that really kind of sucks is the on site search feature, because it wants you to be very specific AND to hit more results before it will show you what you're looking for. My guess is that it's more the search algorithm than the actual code,but that is just a guess.

I'm just happy this isn't a simplemachine forum. I only belong to one of those and holy crap, I think a bbs is easier to use.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
4/20/17 8:29 a.m.

Find Threads...

As Chandler mentioned, at the bottom of the page there is a red heart next to some other colorful Social Media icons. If you click on the heart, this thread will now be added to your "favorites" which is actually called your Watchlist.

To retrieve your Watchlist, go to the pull down tab at both the top or bottom of the page titled Jump To...
The last choice in Jump To is Watchlist and this will take you to what you are watching.

Another tip:
I see that weather you know it or not, you are currently watching two threads:
One on Exocet
The other E150

I can tell this by clicking on your user name and the left hand side of that page will show me what you are watching. This does not work if you click on your own profile but as a sample, click on my username and you will see that I am watching a ton of threads; much of it Challenge related. I use this as an easy file to store access to threads I might want to reference later.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
4/20/17 8:32 a.m.

Single Spaced or list.

To make a single spaced paragraph break or to do a list you must put hit the space bar twice at the end of a line.
By
doing
this
you
get
a
list

I have hit the spacebar twice after every word in that list.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
4/20/17 8:35 a.m.

I don't disagree that these uniqueness are harmful to gaining new users or to keeping the read-ability of the forum much clearer.

I am however greatfull that this forum does not allow huge banner ads and signaure boxes at the bottom of every posting. I know some forums with that and hate the clutter it causes.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/20/17 8:53 a.m.
RevRico wrote: Where there is the "preview" below where you enter text, preview is a pull down menu that hides a syntax guide for formatting.

...which has little or no relationship to the way things actually seem to format, or else is so smarmily written that the instructions are totally unclear. I have never successfully gotten a numbered or bulleted list to work.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/20/17 8:58 a.m.

Nope. yes there are some things that you need to figure out by and large I find this forum easier to user and read than any of the other forums that I use.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
4/20/17 9:00 a.m.

This thread should've just been a post in the first world problems thread.....

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
4/20/17 9:04 a.m.

Please, please, please, GRM. Embrace your uniqueness. There is such a dearth of diversity in forum software on the web. Keep what you have. Don't bow down to the oppressive demands of the Conformity Gestapo.

It's perfect in its imperfection and endearingly singular. Please don't change a thing!

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
4/20/17 9:10 a.m.

I'll cast my vote in the "I don't have an issue with the forum software as it is and can do all I need to do here just fine" column.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/20/17 9:15 a.m.
rslifkin wrote:
Chadeux wrote: In reply to chandlerGTi: Then I just forget that it sends me email updates until I check my email and find out it's been bombed by thread update notifications, usually after I've already checked the thread.
There's a fix for this: instead of having it email you, just have it silently subscribed. When you visit the forum, make the "subscribed threads" page your first visit. It'll show you what threads have updates and then you can continue browsing as usual.
Keith Tanner wrote:
vBulletin isn't free, but there are decent enough free options out there (like phpBB). So most of the issue comes down to figuring out how to migrate the data (and someone having the time to do it). But at the same time, a few additions / improvements to the current software would also get the job done.

Where did I say anything about free? It doesn't have to be free. I'm all about paying for something that works instead of dealing with something that doesn't just because it's cheap.

The current software works as long as you're not quoting a post, or going back to edit one (all the emoticons add a line break) or want to copy/paste text that has line breaks, or want to use * to denote a footnote, or search. It surprises me fairly often and forces me to spend considerably more time on a complex post than I do elsewhere.

Blaise
Blaise New Reader
4/20/17 9:17 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:

LOL. This is the best garage/software comparison I've ever seen.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
4/20/17 9:26 a.m.

I love this forum, I spend way too much time here. I admire the people who run the magazine and the forum. I fully understand their reasoning for the dedicated platform for all the reasons that have been mentioned hundreds of times. It all makes sense for Tim, Margie and the crew. But. Make that BUT. The forum software is absolutly completly uterly beyond reason the biggest pile of doodoo on the interent. It almost makes me pine for the days of Usenet or YAhoo groups. I know they will never move to vBulletin, ProBoards (actually not much better than this) or anything else, but for the love of the flying spaghetti monster could we fix some of the more glaring issues?
Double space needed for a new line!!! WTF
Numbering and bullet points. Possible, but a pia to remember how compared with the rest of the web universe. Image handling
Recognizing web links without having to add a hyper link
The biggest PIA, after posting you sometimes need one, two or three back clicks to get back to the index!!!!

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
4/20/17 9:41 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :now I know why my 'watched' don't show when I access my own profile .....thanks

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gaCjsw0OhAfzsLU3kXIisFq51ynNhdI7rMi3RqyCFFtLb1shCV88ITvosrdKV9zY