1 2 3 4
Toebra
Toebra Reader
4/20/17 11:44 a.m.

I agree that the forum has some formatting issues.

You should totally ask for your money back.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/20/17 11:45 a.m.
Mad_Ratel wrote:
JG Pasterjak wrote: The other BIG issue to deal with is that fact that we have soooo much Google juice on this forum because of its longevity. We migrate the forum somewhere else, we lose all of that search engine ranking. Right now, several threads come up as top-5 posts on search engines when common terms in our world are searched. So, yes, we could migrate to another platform, but we couldn't afford to run it for very long and no one besides regular would ever know it existed. You want a busy forum with a few eccentricities or a lovely ghost town? But we hear you, and the stuff you want is the stuff we want, too. In the meantime, it runs perfect, but you gotta pump it twice before you start it. Not fully twice, like one good one and a second mostly good one, and it starts every time and runs perfect. Unless you over do the second pump, in which case you have to wait more than 20 seconds, but less than 35, then do one-half pump, and IT RUNS PERFECT.
I love this post. You sir get GRM people. Also you realize your post reads like a Holy GRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrraaaaail reference?

Sometimes he speaks like that in person too

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
4/20/17 11:47 a.m.

Search sucks and the attachments are wierd. I could deal with the attachments if I could actually search for something.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy Dork
4/20/17 11:48 a.m.

The Search Function is what this forum needs improved on the most.

Test it out ( Type this in the search box: Craigslist lust of the day ).

There's a thread here with this as the title. BUT it does NOT show up in the search results until you hit the "MORE" button (then it pops up as the only result)

I mean if you KNOW the thread title, It SHOULD produce the result with-out requiring the click the "MORE" button. Just sayin'

How is a newbie looking for information gonna find E36 M3?

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy Dork
4/20/17 11:49 a.m.

Looks like Bob and I were thinking about this at the EXACT same moment!

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/20/17 12:11 p.m.
Kreb wrote: Spangler: Are you just flipping back and forth between CC and here (like me)?

Heh. Busted.

freetors
freetors New Reader
4/20/17 12:34 p.m.

I only have one beef with the how this forum works: the fact there is no button that takes you to the first unread post of a topic. This is an extremely useful and time saving feature that most other forums use. I, like probably most others here, can't remember what the last page we read was in a topic, especially a fast moving topic or one that hasn't been bumped in a long time.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/20/17 12:36 p.m.
Nick (Bo) Comstock wrote: I'll cast my vote in the "I don't have an issue with the forum software as it is and can do all I need to do here just fine" column.

Hear hear!

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
4/20/17 12:39 p.m.

Since I plan in the future to share this thread with new visitors to the board, this might be a good time to bring up Culture.

I think you will find the Culture of this board to be very friendly and willing to help. As you might notice, this thread began with frustration but the sharing of that frustration brought answers and results to the originator. Notice that nowhere along was the Original Poster (OP) made to feel dumb or stupid for not knowing what others had known for years. More so, there were overly willing participants providing real answers.

Additional to Culture, this board is a business extension of GRM. As such and in respect to the business, we very much strive to keep this board family friendly and workplace appropriate.

No question is too far reaching and you might be amazed by the wealth of knowledge here on all topics.
Here is the current "high water mark" for obscure questions with amazingly successful results:

I need animal blood (50 ml of horse and 50 ml of sheep) by Monday of next week

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/20/17 12:47 p.m.
Mad_Ratel wrote: holy E36 M3 I just changed it to syntax guide, which is exactly what i've wished for for years. seriously, never noticed that you could change preview to syntax guide...

Don't get excited. It's remarkably unhelpful.

That being said, the double-space-return thing is habituated so strongly that I do it on almost every other forum I visit, without thinking.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
4/20/17 12:54 p.m.

Here is a guide on how to post pictures to this forum.

If you are new, this could be very helpful!

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
4/20/17 12:54 p.m.

In reply to Duke:

I've been struggling with that
stupid
list
behavior
since I joined!

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
4/20/17 1:03 p.m.

In reply to Mad_Ratel:

I don't know what you mean by where my usename should be. I see a gray area above where I am typing that says "Your Comment" but that is all I see.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/20/17 1:09 p.m.

In reply to T.J.:

It is below where you are typing and above the "add post" button.

Edit: There is an option to turn off the post preview so you probably have the box unchecked. If you go into your profile and click "edit profile" there will be a box to check to enable live post preview under site preferences. It is the 5th option down.

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
4/20/17 1:10 p.m.
Duke wrote:
Mad_Ratel wrote: holy E36 M3 I just changed it to syntax guide, which is exactly what i've wished for for years. seriously, never noticed that you could change preview to syntax guide...
Don't get excited. It's remarkably unhelpful. That being said, the double-space-return thing is habituated so strongly that I do it on almost every other forum I visit, without thinking.

My biggest issue is that the forum strips out Ordered and Unordered lists. It displays correctly in the preview but when I post it's gone.

Otherwise I personally think this forum operates better than a large number of others. I also only use the 'Latest Topics' combo box option to browse though.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
4/20/17 1:13 p.m.

1. one

2. two

3. buckle

4. shoe

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/20/17 1:17 p.m.
freetors wrote: I only have one beef with the how this forum works: the fact there is no button that takes you to the first unread post of a topic. This is an extremely useful and time saving feature that most other forums use. I, like probably most others here, can't remember what the last page we read was in a topic, especially a fast moving topic or one that hasn't been bumped in a long time.

Generally speaking I'm pretty happy with the forum software here (although I never can remember how to get youtube videos to embed properly). Better support for remembering what I've read and what I haven't along the lines of the above would certainly be appreciated, though.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/20/17 1:33 p.m.

Search is totally fine. Just type into google:

thing I want to search for site:grassrootsmotorsports.com

Can't find a build thread? Try this:

build thread key words site:grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/

Boom. Let Google search the site. I do this for all forums because every forum's search sucks.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
4/20/17 1:38 p.m.
patgizz wrote:
Mad_Ratel wrote:
JG Pasterjak wrote: The other BIG issue to deal with is that fact that we have soooo much Google juice on this forum because of its longevity. We migrate the forum somewhere else, we lose all of that search engine ranking. Right now, several threads come up as top-5 posts on search engines when common terms in our world are searched. So, yes, we could migrate to another platform, but we couldn't afford to run it for very long and no one besides regular would ever know it existed. You want a busy forum with a few eccentricities or a lovely ghost town? But we hear you, and the stuff you want is the stuff we want, too. In the meantime, it runs perfect, but you gotta pump it twice before you start it. Not fully twice, like one good one and a second mostly good one, and it starts every time and runs perfect. Unless you over do the second pump, in which case you have to wait more than 20 seconds, but less than 35, then do one-half pump, and IT RUNS PERFECT.
I love this post. You sir get GRM people. Also you realize your post reads like a Holy GRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrraaaaail reference?
Sometimes he speaks like that in person too

Troof. I've seent it.

JeffHarbert
JeffHarbert GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/20/17 1:41 p.m.

Lots of websites have built-in search capability that's less than helpful. I get around it like this: "p71 site:grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum"

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
4/20/17 1:42 p.m.

Don't change GRM forum, I love you just the way you are.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder HalfDork
4/20/17 1:54 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau:

+1000 - Search is a difficult problem - let google do it.

Ain't broke, don't fix it. This is the easiest to use/interact with forum I've ever used. It has a few silly parts, but who cares? (well, except those who do?)

Plus - as is with every software change - everyone whines about it if it's not what they want - exactly as they want it and then they'll whine about it when you change it to what they said they wanted.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
4/20/17 2:02 p.m.

In reply to EvanB:

Thanks. I see it now that I changed the selection in my profile. I thought I was going crazy. I couldn't see the gray box.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/20/17 2:04 p.m.

I once wrote a pretty decent search engine for my company's website that I was proud of...but we had to switch to a Google-powered search engine because it just wasn't as good as the product of a megacorporation that specializes in search engines.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/20/17 2:19 p.m.
Huckleberry wrote: *** 1. one - 2. two - 3. buckle - 4. shoe -

Now do that without the items being headings.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
b6ppneExixVCBJp4dESh0aOft4EDFJ9JZlIkZ3mZAWQzoGym58EdrjeqOoWyiZVX