1 2 3 4 5
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/30/17 8:55 a.m.

Also on Amazon but still not "properly" linked. Let me get with Ed and see how the updated board will play with Amazon.

Doc Brown
Doc Brown Dork
6/30/17 9:12 a.m.

test using postimg.org.

100_5171

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/30/17 9:18 a.m.
mtn wrote:

For these forums you should be using "hotlink for website."

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/30/17 9:19 a.m.

The actual act of hosting photos isn't that hard from a technology perspective. Good virtual servers are pretty cheap these days and all one needs is basic Linux or BSD Unix hosting with a web server to get your basic photo site up and running.

The main effort is providing the sort of convenience the image hosting companies provide that allow you to upload photos directly from your phone, keep things reasonably secure, detect inappropriate photos of naked Exocets etc. Not to mention the resizing options and URL interpretations that go with it.

Factoring in the time and effort to put something together that gets close to the functionality of a commercial image hosting service, it's probably still cheaper to just give Photobucket the money if you want the convenience.

That said, I host my photos myself again after a brief spell using OneDrive to do so, but I've been playing with Linux and other Unixes since the time when they came on floppy disks and we have to carry our network packets uphill both ways...

Oh, another option if you don't want to use Amazon prime photo hosting but may want to use Amazon is to host them in an S3 bucket. However keep in mind that you're also paying for data transfer with S3...

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/30/17 9:27 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
mtn wrote: picture

Why not hotlink for forums?

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
6/30/17 9:38 a.m.
Sky_Render wrote: The United States of America does not negotiate with terrorists, and neither do I.

Well, at least you don't.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
6/30/17 9:59 a.m.
Huckleberry wrote:
Sky_Render wrote: The United States of America does not negotiate with terrorists, and neither do I.
Well, at least you don't.

Agreed...you saw what they did with the financial terrori...err...banks

/flounder

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/30/17 10:04 a.m.

I have been using Imgur, seems easy enough, though using Firefox makes it really easy to link images in here.

GameboyRMH
6/30/17 10:04 a.m.
mtn wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote:
mtn wrote: picture
Why not hotlink for forums?

"Hotlink for forums" produces BBcode which this forum only sort-of supports. This forum uses HTML which is what "hotlink for website" will give you.

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls PowerDork
6/30/17 10:05 a.m.

Looks like photo hosting is included with my godaddy domain

testing

Does that show up for everyone?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/30/17 10:09 a.m.
Jumper K. Balls wrote: Looks like photo hosting is included with my godaddy domain testing Does that show up for everyone?

Yup.

GameboyRMH
6/30/17 10:11 a.m.

I can see it. Use your phone on cell data for an "outside perspective."

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi PowerDork
6/30/17 10:13 a.m.

Came through fine, my issue is that PB is my third hosting site in the 19 years of forums going. The last two disappeared with no warning taking years of pictures with them. Some I had on zip discs (good luck with those now) but most are just gone. I'd like to future proof this issue every so many years but I'm not sure if that's possible.

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
6/30/17 10:25 a.m.
maschinenbau wrote: I'm all about some imgur. I find it easiest to upload, does all the formatting for forums, links, etc and gives you multiple sizes of thumbnail to choose from.

I started using Imgur too. Very clean and easy to use. Plus every now and then you get a nice comment on a public post.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/30/17 10:25 a.m.

What I do is upload the pictures I want to share but also keep a copy at home.

java230
java230 SuperDork
6/30/17 10:28 a.m.

Im afraid of Imgur though, its free and was really set up for Reddit use. I don't see it being around permanently.... I do use it at times, but Flickr is still my go to. I guess I should look into hosting on my site.... Most of the pics are there already too.

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi Reader
6/30/17 10:33 a.m.

The other main forum that I am on is Fchat. They host the images there so you upload as you post. The one nice thing is that you never get to a thread where the images no longer show. The downside is the size limits kill the quality of the image. Unsubscribed members there are allowed a certain amount of attachments. Subscribed members are unlimited.

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
6/30/17 10:33 a.m.

It isn't about keeping a copy at home, it's about losing the links in forums to pictures already posted and having to remember where you posted them, go back and edit (if possible) the links to point to the NEW hosting site, and making sure THAT hosting site doesn't go belly up doe to a change in business model, or simple apathy on the part of the site owner(s).

I host my own, but it still requires using an SFTP software to upload from the computer:

GameboyRMH
6/30/17 10:35 a.m.
Aaron_King wrote: What I do is upload the pictures I want to share but also keep a copy at home.

Same here, but it doesn't save you the perhaps inevitable effort of re-uploading pics. I used to use min.us for hosting pics because they didn't block Tor exit nodes, unlike imgur, and at the time I wasn't fed up yet with being put in the Internet's leper colony for running a Tor exit node. Min.us isn't around anymore. I still haven't re-uploaded all the pics in my Corolla's build thread.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
6/30/17 10:38 a.m.

Exactly Chris. So I've moved over to Amazon, but now I have to go back through every forum thread where I've posted a picture, find the link, figure out which picture I posted and edit the thread with the new photo link.

That's a HUGE PITA. I've kept all my pics on my phone/computer, so I have them but I don't have the time nor the inclination to swap over all the links.

I probably will for my build thread here but that's it...

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/30/17 10:57 a.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: The actual act of hosting photos isn't that hard from a technology perspective. Good virtual servers are pretty cheap these days and all one needs is basic Linux or BSD Unix hosting with a web server to get your basic photo site up and running.

Yeah, this is what I do. A $10/month virtual server from Rackspace and a domain of my own and all my photos are hosted somewhere that I control.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
6/30/17 11:12 a.m.
codrus wrote:
BoxheadTim wrote: The actual act of hosting photos isn't that hard from a technology perspective. Good virtual servers are pretty cheap these days and all one needs is basic Linux or BSD Unix hosting with a web server to get your basic photo site up and running.
Yeah, this is what I do. A $10/month virtual server from Rackspace and a domain of my own and all my photos are hosted somewhere that *I* control.

I have no clue what you guys are talking about...

I couldn't get flikr or imguar to work for me. The only way I could get pictures from Facebook was to save it to me computer then upload it to Photobucket.

I'm not smart enough for this stuff.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/30/17 11:13 a.m.

I didn't realize that Amazon has photo hosting as part of prime. I've used photobucket for years, and haven't had any issues with them nor have I ever paid them anything, but I'll check out Amazon since we have prime.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
6/30/17 11:24 a.m.
T.J. wrote: I didn't realize that Amazon has photo hosting as part of prime. I've used photobucket for years, and haven't had any issues with them nor have I ever paid them anything, but I'll check out Amazon since we have prime.

The only thing that sucks about Prime photos is that you have to do a right click and "Copy Image Location" in order to post it. It doesn't have the nice copy-to-clipboard functionality that Photo-suck-it use to have.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/30/17 11:37 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Thanks for the suggestions and interest, and we can look into it. To be honest, though, I don't think we have the manpower to set up and manage a photo hosting site. Just managing this site takes up a ton of time. On a semi-related note, we're working on a refresh for the message board. It will get increased functionality. Ed can discuss the details better than I can, but linking to photos should be even easier. You'll still need to host them, though. For photo hosting, I have been happy with Flickr. Plus sometimes I cheat and link to photos that I already posted on Facebook or Twitter.

"go to first unread post" would be epic. Also happy to help if you guys need it. I have a good amount of server space.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MSrJGtTVJL25QahBFGskNKiNAPgK8qlkcVsl7EITQHUt4VrrkxwcuR4wNUiIRzdJ