1 2
Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Editorial Assistant
10/14/15 1:43 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/TkPxT_3qTTQ

Ride onboard with Mike Drennan for the last few turns of the NASA Spec Miata Eastern Championships. Drennan ended up being awarded the win after Hernan Palermo (black car) was disqualified for on-track contact.

Watch more videos

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/14/15 1:50 p.m.

wow, had my nerves tingling just watching the video. I think the guy in the silver car got the raw end of the deal. hopefully didn't receive too much damage/get hurt.

Yikes driving next to the black car acting like that on the straight.

The Hoff
The Hoff UltraDork
10/14/15 1:55 p.m.

Palermo is a dick. Pushed off the Silver car and tried to push off the other car. Glad he was disqualified.

Desmond
Desmond Reader
10/14/15 1:58 p.m.

Got what he had coming. All it takes is one bad driver to make an entire race more dangerous than it needs to be.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
10/14/15 2:16 p.m.

Yeah, he deserved disqualification after those bonehead moves on the straight.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
10/14/15 2:27 p.m.

Anything happen to Clements? I hope he got out with just a bruised ego.

Palermo is a dick

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/14/15 3:17 p.m.

DQ & hopefully sit out for 6 months. Start increasing the fines/penalties and maybe the crap will stop.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 SuperDork
10/14/15 3:20 p.m.

For what it's worth....
http://mazdaracers.com/topic/5375-nasa-east-coast-championship-who-will-winupdatesnewssmack/?p=81866

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
10/15/15 6:46 a.m.

"i have had a few days to reflect on what took place at VIR. i understand everyones position in the matter and feel 100% responsible for my actions. i dont frequent these forums and dont usually have the time or interest to pay too much attention to all the latest gossip. i am still learning as a driver, i apolagize to blake and drennan for what took place.

hernan palermo"

First step in correcting you are being an shiny happy person is admitting you are an shiny happy person.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Dork
10/15/15 9:26 a.m.

I see three acceptable punishments. He can choose 1. Lifetime ban from the organization

1. Immediately walk into the paddock. Push his car to the far side and set it on fire.

2. Every driver in the race gets to line up and nut kick him

Type Q
Type Q Dork
10/15/15 9:47 a.m.
icaneat50eggs wrote: I see three acceptable punishments. He can choose 1. Lifetime ban from the organization 2. Immediately walk into the paddock. Push his car to the far side and set it on fire. 3. Every driver in the race gets to line up and nut kick him

I would say one year ban from driving. Competition license only restored if he shows up as a worker for a minimum of 20 weekends does whatever is assigned to him without protest.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/15/15 9:53 a.m.

. #13 should have is licence taken for a while and send him back to drivers school. Drives like a D-Bag. "Back in the day" he would more than likely be subject to some paddock justice after that BS.

Do they give monetary fines to people in SM? Maybe that would be a way to keep people in check.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
10/15/15 1:15 p.m.

I vote for the nut kick as long as we get a video of that too.

Is there any info on the grass flyer?

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/15/15 1:36 p.m.

That's a really lame apology. "I don't get involved in gossip". He may have earned an extra nut kick for trying to pass that off as legitimate. The English translation of his "apology" is "I beat you whiney bitches by whatever means necessary, and I'd do it again if they wouldn't ban me for it".

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Editorial Assistant
10/15/15 1:53 p.m.

The grey car that got knocked off at the top of the Roller Coaster was driven by Blake Clements. He managed to recover quickly and finished third (after Palermo's disqualification). Kind of impressive. There are some mighty big holes and ruts where he went off. Ask me how I know. But it definitely cost him a shot at the win.

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
10/15/15 3:03 p.m.
amg_rx7 wrote: For what it's worth.... http://mazdaracers.com/topic/5375-nasa-east-coast-championship-who-will-winupdatesnewssmack/?p=81866

See this comment?

I think Aggressive driving (contact that does not put you off) should be expected on the last lap, for the win. Not so much mid pack and mid race. I think the discussion is good so that some of the new drivers and Mid Pack drivers understand this is not a demo derby.

WTF Wreck miatas?

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
10/16/15 5:42 a.m.

I watched the video of the whole thing from the guy who finished 6th (later int he YouTube channel). They get a little pushy out there. Really competitive. But the down the straight thing was just BS. He want to squeeze the driver off the track so he couldn't brake going into the corner. I get that in the pros but at this level come on.

On a related note, there is a video of a guy who got spun going into 1/2 at Laguna Seca at the 2014 finals on the first lap. Car wasn't hurt, and he made it all up and took the win. Impressive run.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/16/15 6:01 a.m.

Back cut valves, not other drivers

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
10/16/15 7:53 a.m.

And that's why they're called Spec Pinata.

theenico
theenico Reader
10/16/15 8:37 a.m.

Yet one more of a thousand reasons I would build a Miata for any class except SM. Too many rookie D-bags suffering from red-mastitis.

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/16/15 11:54 a.m.
theenico wrote: Yet one more of a thousand reasons I would build a Miata for any class except SM. Too many rookie D-bags suffering from red-mastitis.

Not sure if typo or not... (Do not look up mastitis at work...)

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
10/16/15 11:54 a.m.

I liked the Roadkill Episode where they 24 Hour of Lemons race the 240Z. In one scene there is a guy duct-taped to the roof of his car and being driven around the paddock as he ask for forgiveness for some on-track faux-pas.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/16/15 12:13 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: I liked the Roadkill Episode where they 24 Hour of Lemons race the 240Z. In one scene there is a guy duct-taped to the roof of his car and being driven around the paddock as he ask for forgiveness for some on-track faux-pas.

Good reminder on why Lemons is awesome.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/15 3:50 p.m.

"Back in the day" our team was tracing a 280Z and we were in IT and the SM guys thought they could do as they please. After several of our drivers were pushed around finally we had a talk and just decided not to change our line any more. The typical incident would occur when two or three SM cars would come up on us in a pack and one would get by just befor the corner or at corner entry using us as a pick. The following SM cars seemed to think that they had the right to just drive through us. The real problem came with the weight difference between a 280z and and SM. As my drivers put it they were like water bugs running in to us. Anyway, after a couple of "episodes" where SM cars bounced off our car and went into the weeds I got a visit from the friendly SCCA marshals. I told them that I had instructed my drivers to hold there line and let the SM guys pass us as they could. I made it clear that we were from now on going to be holding our line into and through corners and if the SM driver was not skilled enough to pass us with out contact maybe they should think about not passing. The SCCA marshals thanked me and went away. About an hour later it got back to me that the Marshals had issued warnings to the SM drivers crew chiefs that the contact was due to there drivers poor driving skills. Word got around quick and we had no more problems with the SM cars for the remaining 18 hours of the race. Made me laugh.

Another race some friends of ours were racing a Miata but in IT and they had to put huge IT stickers on there car as the SM guys would get real pushy with them when in fact they were in a different class. From my understanding the marshals got involved at one race because some SM guys were complaining that the IT Miata was much faster and could not be legal. Well no kidding it was an IT car not an SM car. That is was lead to to huge IT stickers being put on the car.

I stay as far away as possible form the SM crowd They seem to suck all the fun out of racing.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/16/15 5:26 p.m.

There are massive shiny happy people out there, and that guy deserves a kick right in his.

Years ago, a friend won NASA west region Super Unlimited endurance class in his Birkin Lotus 7 replica. The defending champ was a turbo Viper who was furious that a car with less than 1/2 his HP was ahead of him in the points. He ran the Birkin off the track. My friend managed to hold it together and finish the race. He had military training, and it took all his self-control not to send the guy to the hospital.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ToPro6MRjxYs1ay09AYWOICkueh60R9ZlceTcRa1oNrbKNfOf5gIUCNva6WTQn0B