CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/17/22 10:22 a.m.

My wife wanted to spend a month in California this summer (remote work FTW) and luckily for me she picked Pacific Grove during August. Things got even better when my new favorite forum member* GTwannaB offered me a free ticket to the Pebble Beach show. So I put on my birkenstocks, grabbed my potato-cam, and headed out early in the AM to see some of the cars getting setup. 

The first car you see (after getting through security) is this. It's just laying on the grass with no real signage, but it's a prototype of Gordon Murry's T.50! It's smaller than I expected and the vast majority of people were just hustling on by. The car that is supposed to be the final word in ICE supercars just...kinda sitting there.

The thing about Monterey is that there are 3 different versions of a car that you'd otherwise only see once in your life. Oh dang, a Tablot Lago! They are so rare it's crazy to see one, blah, blah, blah-

Just kidding, here are half a dozen more. 

I tried talking to this guy about his Ferrari but he seemed pretty busy getting it ready. There were some owners there prepping their own cars but I think many were being handled by the help.

Two gullwings and the original race version were at the Pebble Beach show, and a fourth at the German show that I didn't bother taking a pic of. This yellow over red example was probably my favorite-very original. 

I was hanging around the yellow one trying to get a clear shot with the potato-cam and overheard three old guys who were chatting next to it. One finally leaned in, smiled, and said, "You know, I actually have one of these." The second guy was surprised and said, "Oh! I do too!" and the third guy said, "Oh E36 M3 guys, we all have Gullwings! What are the odds?" 

Race version. Monterey is super cloudy!

This was a fully restored version that was in the mercedes tent, I think as an example of what their classic department can do.

Not what you think of as a gullwing, but still an amazing vehicle. I'd read about these in books but never seen one up close:

*sorry Stampie =(

CrustyRedXpress
9/17/22 10:50 a.m.

Ferrari-the brand I love to hate. You guys are on your own to ID the older ones. None of them showed signs of smoke damage so I assume they were pushed onto the lawn the night before.

Wife liked the color on this one, I told her that we might need to cut our expenses to get one:

I genuinely don't know what this is-anybody?

365 GTC! My favorite Ferrari, mostly because it looks like a Chevy Monza.

Dino. I'm old enough to remember people arguing on the internet that it wasn't a real Ferrari because it only has a v6 and was a sub-brand. Maybe the most beautiful mid-engined car?

Finally found an f40. Somebody here described it as a poorly assembled italian kit car and after being up close I can understand where they're coming from. It's definitely a racecar for the streets. "When the driver steps on the gas, I want him to E36 M3 his pants."

Seeing a GTO was super cool but the Enzo didn't do much for me. 

Another weird thing about the Pebble beach show is you see lots of C-level automotive celebrities and bloggers. Tom Yang was helping a client with his Ferrari, the Autopian guys were walking around examining various taillights, James Glickenhouse was sitting next to his weird 4WD thing waiting for somebody to come up and ask him a question, etc. Tried to get a selfie with David Tracey but they were actually pretty busy, and kinda felt bad for Glickenhaus.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
9/17/22 11:42 p.m.

#130 is an Alfa Romeo Giulia TZ2

#21 is a F 250LM

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
9/17/22 11:54 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Beat me to the 250LM.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/18/22 6:13 a.m.

You know those 3 old guys are friends and theyve been doing that to bystanders at car shows for 60 years.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
9/18/22 10:08 a.m.

Which C111 is that? V8, rotary or I5?

rustomatic
rustomatic HalfDork
9/18/22 12:28 p.m.

Any pic of a 288 GTO is a good pic.  Also dig the "original" gullwing--that pic is perfect.  Nice job.  Welcome to central coast weather!

CrustyRedXpress
9/18/22 1:22 p.m.
buzzboy said:

Which C111 is that? V8, rotary or I5?

Based on some quick googling that particular car is a rotary. Unfortunately I didn't hear it run.

Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

You know those 3 old guys are friends and theyve been doing that to bystanders at car shows for 60 years.

Hah! Could have been-their comedic timing was pretty great.

CrustyRedXpress
9/18/22 1:24 p.m.

In reply to rustomatic :

Me, after spending Faugust in Pacific Grove: 

Thanks for sharing! The yellow Ferrari looks like a 410 S, and the red coupe #431 looks like a 250 GT Tour de France.

CrustyRedXpress
9/19/22 11:27 a.m.

There was some serious race hardware there as well.

Call 'em out if you recognize 'em:

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/19/22 12:06 p.m.

I haven't been to that one yet. Got to show a car with a friend in the Concorso Italiano and it was great. What I particularly appreciate about Monterey is there really isn't a lot of snobbery going on. Once, at the blessing of the cars in Carmel, Kid Rock sat down at our table. just another car guy geeked out on cool machinery.

I really appreciate Gordon Murrays car for how clean it is. None of the overstyled fru-fru like Lamborghini has made famous. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XoopsfjSTIxrQJ4HpPF1avVOmbLD8t6eEs5bFB5GBvM1RzTHMUcTXLDB6EA0XAqO