1 2 3
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UberDork
12/30/21 11:09 a.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

That could possibly be arranged, Andy has already mentioned it.  It would be an interesting comparison and would help bolster the challenge entries this year.

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/30/21 11:22 a.m.

Why the Subaru flavor instead of the Toyota flavor?  Car or dealer?

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
12/30/21 11:22 a.m.

Congratulations! I'm very very tempted to get one more that they've "fixed" the engine.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
12/30/21 11:48 a.m.

In reply to glueguy (Forum Supporter) :

Subaru dealers seem to be less likely to over charge, at least based on what I have seen on the gr86 forum.

Also I figured if I need to get it serviced they are more familiar with the boxer engine.

As an added bonus the local dealership is supportive of motorsports.  They sponsored the local autocross chapter for years.

Lastly I like the Subaru front end better and I think the 17 inch BRZ wheels look better than the same sized Toyota ones.

RyanGreener (Forum Supporter)
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) Reader
12/30/21 11:57 a.m.
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to glueguy (Forum Supporter) :

Subaru dealers seem to be less likely to over charge, at least based on what I have seen on the gr86 forum.

Also I figured if I need to get it serviced they are more familiar with the boxer engine.

As an added bonus the local dealership is supportive of motorsports.  They sponsored the local autocross chapter for years.

Lastly I like the Subaru front end better and I think the 17 inch BRZ wheels look better than the same sized Toyota ones.

Wow, that makes a lot of sense (the servicing part). I wanted the GR86 but I may reconsider now.

The improvements are really interesting though. They fixed the torque dip with the new engine and they have a better oil cooling setup (although I do not believe it is an external cooler). Probably still needs tires/pads/fluids to be track ready though. Hope they don't have rev hang!

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/30/21 12:09 p.m.

Looking forward to hearing your first hand ownership report. I'd like one of these cars, but waaaaay out ofy budget.

MrFancypants
MrFancypants HalfDork
12/30/21 12:49 p.m.

Congrats!

Also, I really hope the price you paid is indicative of where the market is going. Where I'm at you can't touch a used BRZ with 30k or fewer miles for that price.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/30/21 12:52 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

Name change to PimpBRZ? 

... I always thought it was pimpim3.

BLRB
BLRB GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/30/21 7:29 p.m.

Congrats!  My 2022 BRZ will be delivered in March.

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
12/30/21 8:08 p.m.

I'm watching this thread with great interest.  Between my dedicated/trailered track car and my 10 year old tow pig/daily truck there has to be room for a fun street car, right?  I'm been drooling over these since they were announced.  Been down the road with a 981 Cayman S, it was just too much car for the street and too expensive to do the naughty things that I wanted to do.  I'm starting to feel like I'm definitely going to own a GR86 or an ND2 RF in the next year or two.

psteav (Forum Supporter)
psteav (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/30/21 8:14 p.m.

In reply to CyberEric :

Or style 5's

Getting some serious 3.0CS vibes from this picture....and that's never a bad thing.

And congrats on the new addition!

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
12/30/21 9:16 p.m.
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm watching this thread with great interest.  Between my dedicated/trailered track car and my 10 year old tow pig/daily truck there has to be room for a fun street car, right?  I'm been drooling over these since they were announced.  Been down the road with a 981 Cayman S, it was just too much car for the street and too expensive to do the naughty things that I wanted to do.  I'm starting to feel like I'm definitely going to own a GR86 or an ND2 RF in the next year or two.

I was actually considering a cayman, but the thought of a catastrophic oil starvation / IMS engine failure turned me off.  

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
12/30/21 9:18 p.m.
psteav (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to CyberEric :

Or style 5's

Getting some serious 3.0CS vibes from this picture....and that's never a bad thing.

And congrats on the new addition!

Thanks, I have always thought a late model corvair was one of the most beautiful gm cars of the 60's.  It is a very European feeling car,  especially compared to the 1967 chevelle it replaced. 

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
12/30/21 9:25 p.m.

In other news I found a YouTube video of a 2022 BRZ dyno.

216 hp and 175 ft/lbs of torque at the wheels.  Thats almost 40 whp more than the 1st gen!

Dyno of 2022 BRZ

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
12/30/21 9:53 p.m.
BLRB said:

Congrats!  My 2022 BRZ will be delivered in March.

Nice!  What color did you go with?  Premium or Limited?

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
12/30/21 10:49 p.m.

I was actually considering a cayman, but the thought of a catastrophic oil starvation / IMS engine failure turned me off.  

Mine was nothing but reliable, but the thought of those things happening kept me from sleeping properly.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/30/21 10:58 p.m.

I don't know if they've fixed this in the 3rd gen engine, but the FA20 in the 1st gen and 2nd gen both have oil starvation problems, caused by both oil cavitation at high RPMs due to the restrictive factory pickup and oil sloshing out of the oil pan due to the engine being a boxer layout with a very plain-jane oil pan. I got a Killer B pickup and Cosworth trapdoor baffle to fix it on my 2nd gen.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
12/31/21 6:27 a.m.

I have been looking at the twins also. The Toyota dealerships I spoke to all want $3000-$5000 over sticker and won't even take an order at this point whereas the Subaru dealerships (some) will sell for sticker and will accept a deposit. My favorite Subaru dealership that I have purchased 6 cars from over the years said they just delivered a BRZ that was only ordered 6 weeks ago. That is the exception though of course. There is simply no competition for the twins at that price point with RWD/6 speed/weight/size. Although I am not happy that demand is so high for them causing a long wait and increased prices, I am very happy that they are selling so well to insure a long and illustrious future. By the way, my son is ordering one also.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/31/21 8:05 a.m.

Order one in a flyover state. The Subaru dealer I ordered from was so super simple. I literally walked in, agreed to MSRP and was out with my order in 10 minutes. 5 of those minutes was BSing with the sales manager. Then fly in and do the break in on the way home. It was Subaru of Omaha. 

I talked to them and they are doing MSRP on all orders. Not advertising but just giving an option. 

BLRB
BLRB GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/31/21 8:24 a.m.

In reply to pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) :

I got a Sapphire Blue Limited.  Similar in color to my old turbo NA Miata.  Also,  if anyone purchased a new Subaru in the past,  you can call Subaru of America for a $500 loyalty coupon.  I was able to get one for an Sti I purchased back in 2007.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/31/21 8:38 a.m.
Feedyurhed said:

There is simply no competition for the twins at that price point with RWD/6 speed/weight/size. Although I am not happy that demand is so high for them causing a long wait and increased prices, I am very happy that they are selling so well to insure a long and illustrious future. By the way, my son is ordering one also.

The competition would be the ND, weighs a good bit less, but also much less practical being a 2-seater.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
12/31/21 4:39 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:
Feedyurhed said:

There is simply no competition for the twins at that price point with RWD/6 speed/weight/size. Although I am not happy that demand is so high for them causing a long wait and increased prices, I am very happy that they are selling so well to insure a long and illustrious future. By the way, my son is ordering one also.

The competition would be the ND, weighs a good bit less, but also much less practical being a 2-seater.

Yes that is mostly true but I already have a Miata which I love and plan on keeping forever.   I would like a bit more room for the dog and the GF for exploring and weekend trips. Not sure which one will sit in the back.wink

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
1/4/22 10:07 p.m.

Speaking of weight I found this today.

Found a dyno chart comparison between the 1st and 2nd gen as well.

This one made 210 at the wheels...

jh36
jh36 Dork
1/5/22 2:08 a.m.

That's good data to see. Thanks for posting. 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/5/22 7:40 a.m.

Yeah. All that got it classed into D Street. Not 100% sure it'll be nationally competitive there but I'm not a nationally competitive driver so all is good. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YKSsKO3aWDi95OAg7TlTsRk2Pus172FVG9OmtPOaOnHjntRSh3H9gfIGhB6qi4TX