1 2
bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/2/22 11:39 a.m.

After working out of a garage all of my life I finally have a shop of my own!

I recently started a new job in a new town and my family decided to look at moving closer to the area. In addition to the shop, the property has a nice house with enough bedrooms for all of the kids. It also has a shared 200 acre natural riverfront area that is shared with 8 other lots.

But this is probably the best part:

Yes, that is an air strip!  I'm still in disbelief.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/2/22 11:39 a.m.

That's not an airstrip, it's a grass drag strip :)

Congrats!

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/2/22 11:55 a.m.

That's awesome! Congrats!

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
4/2/22 12:01 p.m.

Where I grew up around Bristol VA/TN there were guys in our R/C club that had a similar setup.  They got into flying ultralights.

Congrats, that looks fun.

bgkast
4/2/22 12:11 p.m.

Thanks guys. Keith, I think the HOA would have something to say about the drag strip idea! (My first HOA too, ugh. At least it's a lax one, with rules such as maintaining adequate clearance along driveways for wingspans)

Joe, I grew up flying RC airplanes and daydreaming about flying ultralights as a kid. I've been (slowly) working on my private pilot license) for the past few years. Guess I better get to work on it.

This place was a bit of a financial stretch for us, but with the way property values and inflation are going we figure that in 10 years something like this will be out of reach for "normal" people.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/2/22 12:18 p.m.

Indeed, time to hop to on the PPL.

Congrats to the place, looks very cool.

Keith Tanner
4/2/22 12:24 p.m.

Obviously airstrips are not uncommon in this HOA. Otherwise the previous owner had a lot of pull :)

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/2/22 12:25 p.m.

In reply to bgkast :

Congrats! 

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
4/2/22 1:19 p.m.

Hell of a nice set up. Now you need to get your pilot's license and buy a Cherokee 6-260.  They are known as the 3/4ton pick up of airplanes. You can put so much stuff in them you'll think the only reason it gets off the ground is from the curvature of the earth dropping away. Hauling project parts in style!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/2/22 1:33 p.m.

Berk you, you lucky bastard. laugh

That's a sweet shop and rallycross park. Enjoy it! 

Keith Tanner
4/2/22 2:45 p.m.

That's actually a hangar, isn't it.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
4/2/22 3:20 p.m.

Verrrry cool.  Endless possibilities for everything!

Now is the time to paint/seal/polish the floor, hang tons of lights, run electric and air, etc

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
4/2/22 3:23 p.m.

I would kill for something like that. Nice nice nice. 

jmc14
jmc14 HalfDork
4/2/22 3:35 p.m.

Awesome.  Congratulations 

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/2/22 4:08 p.m.

Congratulations, that looks like an awesome shop and property!

bgkast
4/2/22 4:50 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

That's actually a hangar, isn't it.

Only if you remove the wings. The door is only 15 feet wide. Maybe someday I will add a hanger. laugh

The neighbor, who I have yet to meet but really need to introduce myself to, has a hanger he is restoring a P-51 in. surprise

bgkast
4/2/22 4:51 p.m.
jfryjfry said:

Verrrry cool.  Endless possibilities for everything!

Now is the time to paint/seal/polish the floor, hang tons of lights, run electric and air, etc

Now that is an excellent idea!

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/2/22 6:49 p.m.
bgkast said:

Thanks guys. Keith, I think the HOA would have something to say about the drag strip idea! (My first HOA too, ugh. At least it's a lax one, with rules such as maintaining adequate clearance along driveways for wingspans)

Joe, I grew up flying RC airplanes and daydreaming about flying ultralights as a kid. I've been (slowly) working on my private pilot license) for the past few years. Guess I better get to work on it.

This place was a bit of a financial stretch for us, but with the way property values and inflation are going we figure that in 10 years something like this will be out of reach for "normal" people.

When inflation is on the rise, debt is your friend.  It's the only time it is.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
4/3/22 11:15 a.m.

Super cool and I almost hate to say this but.............that looks like some low lying property next to a river with some standing water in spots already. If that river overflows it may be a problem. Please don't get me wrong, it's awesome property. I am just recommending that you be prepared for a possible problem. I live on a river also, I know. Mother nature comes knocking every so often. Again, congrats on your purchase.

bgkast
4/3/22 11:36 a.m.

In reply to Feedyurhed :

That is true. The house and shop are high enough to stay dry for the 100 year flood, but the lower areas get submerged every few years. The house is designed to have 3 feet or so of water on the first floor without damage. I will need to plan my shop out to keep important things elevated. Car stacker for flood protection maybe...

Keith Tanner
4/3/22 1:06 p.m.

"But honey, I need the lift to keep my cars safe!"

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/3/22 1:22 p.m.

Congratulations! As others said I think this is one of the better times to be stretched out on a house. Especially one like that with all that land. It's super cool that your neighbor is doing that too. A doctor in a small SC town I lived in had one and I got to see it land and taxi in once (like up close maybe 100' away when he taxied in). It is one glorious piece of metal. Enjoy the new home!

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
4/4/22 4:14 p.m.

That is one heck of a shop! I know this is heresy on a car forum, but I would probably be more excited about the 200 acre nature area with river. My kids and I would probably never leave that. What are the HOA rules on homeowners camping there?? laugh

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/4/22 4:47 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

"But honey, I need the lift to keep my cars safe!"

Lifts, surely?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SQDRrm6eGkQCi4cJEEzx1yGTLvPxKOrb0bSBlAgiXGeOPbWeMm4aMMN5rpFbGuEF