Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/27/20 1:46 p.m.

I had two tickets for the GRM experience this year, but plans changed, and I was happy to sell them to another forum member. I'm sure they had a great time, and the weather was certainly an improvement over 2019. I had a fun weekend of autocross with the Starting Line school, followed by the season opener for our local SCCA chapter, so I'm happy.

My friend that was unable to join me has suggested we rent an RV and try to get a space in the infield for next year. Can anyone explain how the system works for getting a space? Does someone have to die before one passes to their heirs?

wae
wae UltraDork
1/27/20 4:28 p.m.

As far as I am aware, there haven't been any infield camping spots that were not renewed for the last few years.  I found out this year that Geico West which is right outside the Turn 1 tunnel had walk-up camping available - the guy next to us said that he just pulled up to the gate with nothing pre-bought and they pointed him to that spot.

Later this year renew your GRM tickets and when you do they'll tell you when the package change date is.  Call at 9am on that day and ask if there's anything available.  The people who are renewing get first shot at whatever didn't get renewed before it's made available to the general public.

wae
wae UltraDork
1/27/20 4:29 p.m.

Oh, or watch eBay and the Daytona Beach craigslist for people selling theirs.  For a lot.

Floating Doc
1/27/20 5:21 p.m.

Thanks for the replies. The plan is forming....

Rodan
Rodan Dork
1/27/20 7:09 p.m.

This thread is very relevant to my interests, but it's a loooong way from AZ, so probably not until retirement in a few years...

wae
wae UltraDork
1/27/20 7:13 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

There are a number of places that will rent you the RV and set it up for you on your (or their) site.  You just fly in.

Floating Doc
1/27/20 9:12 p.m.
wae said:

In reply to Rodan :

There are a number of places that will rent you the RV and set it up for you on your (or their) site.  You just fly in.

I've heard of that, but I want the site to be in the infield during the 2021 Rolex 24, not a local campground. I'm planning on the upgrade option, hope it works.

Rodan
Rodan Dork
1/27/20 9:40 p.m.
wae said:

In reply to Rodan :

Already have the RV, and very much want to drive it there (with a number of stops on the way there and back), but hard to take a month off while I'm still working... wink

jdogg
jdogg New Reader
2/2/20 9:30 a.m.

I wonder if they will let me have the regular infield spot in a semi truck, without a trailer? I'm barely larger than those M8 GTE's that raced, but a lot taller

wae
wae UltraDork
2/2/20 9:53 a.m.
Floating Doc said:
wae said:

In reply to Rodan :

I've heard of that, but I want the site to be in the infield during the 2021 Rolex 24, not a local campground. I'm planning on the upgrade option, hope it works.

Oh, I meant that the RV rental place already has an infield or a Geico Park West camping pass so your rental includes not just the RV but they also provide the camping pass on DIS property. 

GPW isn't that bad, especially considering it's an order of magnitude less expensive.  With the GRM pass, it's a short drive in and out or you can walk/tram it.  It would be awfully nice to have shore power, water, and a plug-in to the local closed-circuit coverage of the race, though!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HRNw0tl4VqMjRaUdcaSt6vuqMveZCCHfRUhhSs10W0ogcgpHxgioiTj2I1eJqnHM