1 2 3 4
Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
7/25/13 8:54 a.m.
I'm a little confused by these two comments. The one seems to say repairs are visible. The other seems to say repairs are invisible.

Cliffnotes: You can soften and 'pull' the plastidip around to fill breaks, but it will come out with a different texture. Spray another coat over that area so the texture matches the rest of the surface again.

Armitage
Armitage Reader
7/25/13 10:52 a.m.
Vigo wrote: How do you repair a run?

Once the run had solidified, I re-applied thinner and worked the drip build-up into the surrounding area a little at a time. Then I re-sprayed the whole work area. It seems to have done the job.

nicksta43 wrote: White is very noticeable. I touched up a small rip above the windshield and it stands out like a sore thumb. Mines been on for over a year now. The white definitely gets stained over time.

Hrm, I'll have to keep this in mind. I wanted to do white next time. So far as I can tell the black hasn't faded or collected any discoloration except for where the NJ gas station attendant from a previous post sloshed fuel on it. I resprayed that area as well and it's all good now.

nderwater
nderwater UberDork
7/25/13 11:04 a.m.

Terrific info in this thread.

Have you guys tried any bright colors? The paint on my black E36 is pretty cruddy - I'm curious how it might look in a completely different color.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
7/27/13 12:13 a.m.

I did my bike in Blaze Blue over black base instead of white to tone it down. It came out navy blue. This paint is not resistant to fuel in any way. But the cans are now available at Home Depot for $6 a can.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UltraDork
7/27/13 10:07 a.m.

Hmmm maybe the bumpers on the Olds....

Armitage
Armitage HalfDork
4/12/14 12:05 p.m.

Over the winter I decided the change up the look of the FD again. There are a whole slew of new colors and add-ins available now besides mattes so I wanted to try something new. For this round I went with the new Anthracite Gray Metallic color and followed it up with a few coats of gloss. I sprayed right on top of the existing matte black base coat: 3 coats of gray, 2 light coats of gloss. Since the black was a little weathered, it would have come out better had I stripped the car back down first. Also, this is my first time spraying gloss so I should have put it on heavier and maybe done a few more coats to get better coverage. Still, $120 and a weekend and here are the results:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
4/12/14 12:44 p.m.

Looks nice!

Does anyone know if you can spray white plastidip over a black car and have it actually look white?

confuZion3
confuZion3 UltraDork
4/12/14 1:21 p.m.

Well, I guess I'm Plastidipping my Miata when I get home! This thread is awesome. I am glad you followed up with posts over the year and a half or so to keep the progress intact. Thank you for sharing!

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/12/14 1:29 p.m.

In reply to HappyAndy:

Yes, I plastidipped my black hardtop with decent results.

Jerry
Jerry Dork
4/12/14 3:52 p.m.

In reply to HappyAndy:

Yes. The key is spraying enough layers. That will also make it easy to peel if you change your mind down the road.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
4/12/14 7:24 p.m.
Armitage wrote: Still, $120 and a weekend and here are the results:

I was never a fan of plastidip but this looks great and the price is right for me.

kanaric
kanaric HalfDork
4/12/14 11:13 p.m.

wow that silver looks really good.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/13/14 7:51 a.m.

Looks fantastic! Love the little bit of metallic.

chknhwk
chknhwk HalfDork
4/13/14 9:51 a.m.

Dang that looks awesome, guess the wife and I will be doing a few cars in our immediate future!

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/13/14 4:51 p.m.

Looks great!

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/13/14 9:49 p.m.

I'll echo the others. Thanks for updating, that new color looks great!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/14/14 2:36 p.m.

I will warn you, Plasti-dip White attracts dirt like a small child.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
4/14/14 3:18 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: I will warn you, Plasti-dip White attracts dirt like a small child.

And if you don't clean it very regularly it stains.

Armitage
Armitage HalfDork
4/2/16 3:48 p.m.

Bringing this thread back from the dead because it's that time again. I've got the urge to change color and I'm going to try out the new high gloss product with a pearl add-in. But first, I need to peel off the two old layers that have been on the car since 2012.

One question that has come up a number of times that I haven't seen answered is, "how much weight does plastidip add?" After peeling off all the panels, I gathered up all the chunks in a bag (road grime and all) and weighed it. So for the record, 2.5 gallons of dip + several coatings of glossifier + plastic bag, once dry, weighs 1 lb 13 oz.

A few other observations:

• Areas that I had good coverage peeled off in big sheets as advertised
  • Areas that I had poor coverage (hard to reach spots for the sprayer like the top of the roof, etc.) came off in small flakes
  • Areas where the paint was glossy peeled easily
  • Areas where the paint was rough or sun damaged peeled poorly. In some cases, the black base coat remained adhered to the car and the gray color coat peeled away
  • Overall, with both the good and bad areas, I estimate spending about 4 hours completely stripping the car. Much longer than I had anticipated, but I learned that I didn't lay the product down heavily enough the first time so hopefully next time will be easier.

For the overspray areas between body panels and such, it's really hard to remove. I am going to try their "Dip Dissolver" product with a pressure washer and remove all the overspray and leftover boogers before I prep for the new job. I will report further findings as appropriate.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/2/16 3:52 p.m.
93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
4/2/16 4:47 p.m.

The overspray is my biggest fear of dipping my C5. If I still have it this summer though its getting a bright green dip.

When I did my wheels (3 years ago now, holding up great!) I cleaned the insides of the barrels with paint thinner after the dip cured and that worked awesome. But they were just the insides of wheels, not paint on a still relatively nice car.

Armitage
Armitage HalfDork
4/18/16 10:26 a.m.
Armitage wrote: For the overspray areas between body panels and such, it's really hard to remove. I am going to try their "Dip Dissolver" product with a pressure washer and remove all the overspray and leftover boogers before I prep for the new job. I will report further findings as appropriate.

Right. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention this part. Areas prone to overspray such as gaps between body panels, door jambs, etc. are a huge PITA to peel. Also, dip adheres to rubber door/window seals like crazy and is really difficult to remove. I used a whole bottle of dip dissolver on the car with a pressure washer and and am nearly there but I estimate 10-12 hours for full removal at this point.

Lesson learned: you really need to mask off the rubber seals and anywhere you'll get overspray, just like if you were painting for real.

Armitage
Armitage HalfDork
5/2/16 5:16 p.m.

For this year's color, I selected KP Pigments "Deep Sea Blue Pearl" shot over a matte black base. There are no gloss coats. I used the DYC electric sprayer, their new topcoat product with the pearls, and their hardening/protectant product.

Before:

After:

image image image image image image image

Sorry for the overcast lighting but it's the first time it's not been raining in a week :P

johndej
johndej Reader
5/2/16 5:25 p.m.

Hot damn, that looks good!

The0retical
The0retical Dork
5/2/16 5:55 p.m.

That looks really good.

Is the dissolver something you'd start with or is it just to get the extra off?

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hfFii4sraukw4BjhCxnhXR88CwB4Y2v540ngdroB3EEu7CYnilvnJqhy7MBro7Cu