1 2 3 4
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/2/16 5:57 p.m.

Anyone know an easy way to get Dip of of seal coated asphalt?

crankwalk
crankwalk Dork
5/2/16 7:44 p.m.

Looks great!

Side note: Do I spy a Peter Farell Supercars exhaust? I had one on my FD and it's so refreshing to se an exhaust that is not a giant fart can on these cars.

Armitage
Armitage HalfDork
5/2/16 7:51 p.m.

Thanks guys!

The0retical wrote: Is the dissolver something you'd start with or is it just to get the extra off?

I started by peeling all the big panels and everything that would come off easily. The dissolver worked good for removing overspray from painted areas. For dip on porous surfaces like rubber seals and primered areas, I had to get a bit more aggressive. Mineral spirits on a microfiber cloth and good old elbow grease took care of the rest in no time.

Appleseed wrote: Anyone know an easy way to get Dip of of seal coated asphalt?

I really don't know. Orange cleaner and a power washer? Anything solvent-y will dissolve it but I don't know what's safe for driveway sealant, sorry. You bring up a good point though. If you use dip dissolver in your driveway, you will likely stain your asphalt.

crankwalk wrote: Side note: Do I spy a Peter Farell Supercars exhaust? I had one on my FD and it's so refreshing to se an exhaust that is not a giant fart can on these cars.

Indeed it is, good eye! With a highflow cat it's just a tick louder than I care for, but that's probably because I'm getting old. With the stock cat it was just perfect!

edit:

I probably should have started a new thread for this since the new content is on and old page. For those just tuning in, pics of the latest dip are at the bottom of page 3.

crankwalk
crankwalk Dork
5/3/16 3:54 p.m.
Armitage wrote:
crankwalk wrote: Side note: Do I spy a Peter Farell Supercars exhaust? I had one on my FD and it's so refreshing to se an exhaust that is not a giant fart can on these cars.
Indeed it is, good eye! With a highflow cat it's just a tick louder than I care for, but that's probably because I'm getting old. With the stock cat it was just perfect!

I had one with the stock cat and down pipe. PFS intercooler as well. Very classy mellow tone, heck the air pump was louder than that.

Keep it up!

Armitage
Armitage HalfDork
9/16/17 3:14 p.m.

A year and a half later the latest dip is still holding up real nicely. Just finished washing the car and it is one of those overcast days with the flat lighting that makes the pearl look really neat so I snapped some new pics. Also, the grey metallic dip that got into the driveway using the dip dissolver? Yea, that's still there. New since last time are side skirts and the wheels have been returned to black as the bronze didn't suit.

turtl631
turtl631 Reader
9/16/17 4:56 p.m.

Looks good.  I've thought about this for my track car that's currently got a coat of red Rust-Oleum rolled on by the previous owner.  I want to change colors and the bodywork needs some love.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
9/17/17 11:04 a.m.

In reply to HappyAndy :

Problem I've run into is masking tape tends to pull off plastidip.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/17/17 1:44 p.m.

I've heard that, even though there is multiple dried layers, the final layer's solvents will soften the previous layers enough to be able to pull the tape up without taking the rest with it. 

Haven't tried it myself  though.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xHHNf8pOrTTX9rAhB2iOoLgtIvsjPrrGsLFyMeXOTCs6GDva5VWCDFYOMO2zqZ9j