Jerry
Jerry Reader
1/21/13 3:15 p.m.

Looks like fun. Perhaps the answer to painting the MR2's rims with rally tires:

PlastiDip

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
1/21/13 3:18 p.m.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f259/just-painted-my-friends-elise-last-night-122162/

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/21/13 3:31 p.m.

I'm hoping that car was highlighter yellow to begin with......also, imagine messing with Mike's Express washes with that.......

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 SuperDork
1/21/13 3:37 p.m.

i want to paint mine desert tan but they don't offer it in gallons yet :(

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
1/21/13 3:41 p.m.

My daughter did the rusty wheels on her Subie with Plastidip. It's holding up well, after a year+.

fanfoy
fanfoy Reader
1/21/13 3:53 p.m.

Did the hood of my Suburban with matte black Plastidip because I was too lazy to sand it smooth after I repaired some rust. It hides the imperfections pretty well. It's been holding up great after being out all winter.

Jerry
Jerry Reader
1/21/13 3:55 p.m.

I'm just debating wheel colors now. Keep going back n forth between white, red and blaze orange.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
1/21/13 3:57 p.m.

Did my grille (was chrome). Worked well and still looks nice.

calteg
calteg Reader
1/21/13 5:02 p.m.

I plasitdipped the "A" pillars and hardtop on the miata. I think it looks great considering I spent $8 on it. Plus it bonds to itself, so it's pretty forgiving.

Armitage
Armitage Reader
1/21/13 5:06 p.m.

Did my whole RX-7 in this thread. Lots of pics/etc. in that thread.

nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
1/21/13 5:27 p.m.

Did my whole car as well. Details in this thread.

oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
1/21/13 5:43 p.m.

In reply to Armitage and nicksta43:

Thank you both for your Plastidip threads; I'm really looking forward to updates on your projects.

Hint: I'm looking at doing this with two cars and want some input on long-term results.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/13 6:13 p.m.

Will this stuff stick to chrome? My father backed my truck into a stone wall and I bought what I thought was a factory replacement bumper. It turned out to be a cheap Chinese repro and started rusting within six months. Since I haven't found a replacement yet, the idea of covering it with gray Plastidip is appealing.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
1/21/13 6:32 p.m.

Also interested in long-term results.

I'm seriously considering doing this to the Miata once I get a hardtop for it. The bumper is faded to pink and I've cracked the pain at 4 corners with my heavy handed use of the fender roller.

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
1/21/13 6:56 p.m.
Jerry wrote: I'm just debating wheel colors now. Keep going back n forth between white, red and blaze orange.

how does it stand up to brake temps ... for a track car ?

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
1/21/13 7:15 p.m.
wbjones wrote:
Jerry wrote: I'm just debating wheel colors now. Keep going back n forth between white, red and blaze orange.
how does it stand up to brake temps ... for a track car ?

The guy on the DYC website has had his (straight-through) exhaust tips 'dipped' for a while, and they're holding up well. Probably get a little warmer than track wheels. Check out the website; I'm impressed with 'dipping' and might try it on my truck.

Jerry
Jerry Reader
1/21/13 8:01 p.m.

I've seen scores of well-done examples since I found the site over the weekend. I really wanted to do something with the donated rims & thought about regular paint. Then I found this and all the examples and how easy it looks. I believe I read somewhere if you use liberal amounts of tire shine, you don't even have to mask the tires, it'll peel right off easily.

So now I'm back in color decision mode. I'll make up my mind on white, then see some awesome day-glo orange rims and go "yeah!" But then I'll see nicely done white ones and think "that's it". Till I see some nice red ones......

Jerry
Jerry Reader
1/21/13 8:03 p.m.

Here's some Photoshop examples when I was thinking regular paint:

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/13 8:06 p.m.

I wouldn't plastidip anyone.. she would have to be cute...

Seriously, I did the faded scuffed plastichrome on the grill of my volvo when I got it 3 months ago.. still holding up well

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/22/13 7:52 a.m.

Would it be as easy as cleaning and then spraying the wheels with a rattle can? Then scraping it off the tires?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/22/13 7:57 a.m.

This might be a stupid but how much weight does plastidipping a whole car add?

Duke
Duke PowerDork
1/22/13 8:38 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: This might be a stupid but how much weight does plastidipping a whole car add?

I wondered that too.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/22/13 9:02 a.m.
Duke wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: This might be a stupid but how much weight does plastidipping a whole car add?
I wondered that too.

If you used three gallons, as it appears the poster did for his FD RX7, I suspect it would be the weight of those three gallons. Not insignificant, but not statistically significant either as a percentage of the weight if the car.

I remember when NASA stopped painting the main tank on the shuttle rockets. I think the weight savings was in the multiple tons . . .

Warren v
Warren v New Reader
1/22/13 10:19 a.m.
ZOO wrote: I remember when NASA stopped painting the main tank on the shuttle rockets. I think the weight savings was in the multiple tons . . .

According to one of my professors that was involved with the shuttle, it was around 600 lbs and saved around $15k in mid-1980's money. The final tank was something like 16,000 lighter than the first one.

The reason they painted it in the first place was to protect the insulation foam from UV light exposure during transportation and sitting on the pad. It wasn't for aesthetics.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/22/13 11:21 a.m.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dqGMYgAbAQu9AwOWyJnT77maNHvbo8D186aGfOWWg4N4cugEvnCj5pp4IwPmcyIL