Hal
Hal SuperDork
11/26/15 7:27 p.m.

I am going to PlastiDip the grille on my Outback. Problem is that is eems like none of the auto parts stores around here carry PlastiDip. All of them have what looks like a similar product by DupliColor. Has anyone used the DupliColor version?

chiodos
chiodos HalfDork
11/26/15 7:35 p.m.

Try lowes/Home Depot. You can also order it from dipyourcar.com I have seen a couple of other brands of rubber spray stuff like plastidip but it's like wd40, just get the real stuff cause you know it works. Also spray like 5 or more thin coats with a 5 min dry time between coats then let it sit a few hours before you put it to bug catching duty

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/26/15 7:47 p.m.

I used the free can that Eastwood offered through GRM last year to do my truck bumper. I love it. I agree with Chiodos, spray lots of thin coats, and I'd suggest getting one more can than you think that you might need.

Also, the overspray went much farther than I expected it to, but I just rubbed it off with a rag.

octavious
octavious HalfDork
11/26/15 7:58 p.m.

I speak from experience avoid the duplicolor and the rustolem versions. They both suck.

I did all my motorcycle plastics and tank, my trailer wheels, and my Jeeps front bumper with Plastidip and have been pleasantly surprised.

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork
11/26/15 8:20 p.m.

The Eastwood version is very good. PlastiDip is available at Lowes around here I'm not sure about HD. Having used both I would give a slight edge to the Eastwood product, but there is something to be said for being able to run down to the big box store and pick up a couple cans of PlastiDip.

Hal
Hal SuperDork
11/26/15 9:34 p.m.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I can put something else on my list for the trip to Lowe's tomorrow.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UberDork
11/26/15 10:34 p.m.

I've used the duplicolor stuff and it's fine. It needs lots of very light coats, more so than the plastidip brand, but still turned out well.

TGMF
TGMF Reader
11/27/15 7:51 a.m.

Plastidip is readily available, and works well. I dipped my pathfinders corroded beat up old wheels in a couple hours, and its lasted about two years. Also I dipped my fender flares and both bumpers on the same day. That is still going strong.

(My front bumper was a replacemnt and only primer because the truck isn't worth paint work)

The extent of my prep work for plastidip was washing it with a bucket of dish soap and water. Simple, cheap, effective, and reversible. Perfect.

RexSeven
RexSeven UberDork
11/27/15 10:05 a.m.

One hint I've learned is to put a light tack coat on whatever you are painting to give the first real coat some tooth.

I've used both the Eastwood and original PlastiDip. I sprayed my Evo's hood vents with the Eastwood and it has lasted 7 months now with no respray needed. I've recently blacked out my Evo's grille with a tack coat, two coats of PlastiDip black, and two coats of PlastiDip Glossifier and it came out pretty well.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
11/27/15 12:23 p.m.

If I wanted to play with striping a show quality car, would plastidip be a bad idea? No experience with it other than stuff someone had put on headlights. Was a bitch to remove.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/27/15 12:43 p.m.

DIn reply to Dusterbd13:

You mean pin striping? Plastic isn't tolerant of solvent based paint. You might be able to get away with an acrillic hobby/ craft paint. Use a test piece first if you do.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
11/27/15 2:40 p.m.

Nope. More of a full blown 70s muscle car/blackout hood treatment. Think 71 340 dusyer graphic treatment.

Hal
Hal SuperDork
11/27/15 4:52 p.m.
RexSeven wrote: I've recently blacked out my Evo's grille with a tack coat, two coats of PlastiDio black, and two coats of PlastiDip Glossifier and it came out pretty well.

How shiny did the Glossifier make it? I want to get a sort of satin finish to match the rest of the front plastic.

RexSeven
RexSeven UberDork
11/27/15 7:20 p.m.
Hal wrote:
RexSeven wrote: I've recently blacked out my Evo's grille with a tack coat, two coats of PlastiDip black, and two coats of PlastiDip Glossifier and it came out pretty well.
How shiny did the Glossifier make it? I want to get a sort of satin finish to match the rest of the front plastic.

How you apply the color coat will affect how glossy the Plasti Dip looks. This video was quite helpful IMHO:

https://youtu.be/AaUEHmMcAQc

As for the results, here's my Evo before:

After:

chief8one
chief8one New Reader
11/27/15 9:22 p.m.

I dipped my wheels on the Miata a few years ago and no chipping or respray. I autocross/summer DD it with no issues, I even power wash the wheels every so often. I did my mirrors as well.

I did have a bit of overspray on the emblems. Not sure how to remove the specks just yet. Any suggestions?

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UberDork
11/27/15 9:43 p.m.

In reply to chief8one:

A claybar works well for overspray specs.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i0gnxvSElfuDnDSDNLh2TvZnonC6yTD6a2TC6grc7rN3Lj6ucef37sPHVYyCcS9D