1 2 3
Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/6/19 8:20 p.m.

I'll have to check my model numbers.  I have three HF jacks.  One is the standard rolling "little" jack, one is the heavy steel "professional-looking" jack, and one is a low-profile aluminum "racing" jack with the fast lift thing.

"little" jack works great but it's little.  "professional-looking" jack is phenomenal but wouldn't fit under my lowered cars, so I bought the low profile "racing" jack.  It sucks.  There are jacks that have a sorta switching valve that lets it pump up fast with no load, then switches to a more normal pump ratio when it meets the frame.  The one I bought is not that type.  It just has one speed which is a bit faster with no load, but then almost requires you to sit on the lever to continue jacking.  I think they call it a "racing" jack because they assume that what you're lifting weighs 1800 lbs.  Put it under a 5000 lb car and I think you might get a hernia trying to get it in the air.

mke
mke Reader
3/6/19 8:37 p.m.

I've had a lot of cheap jacks over the years until Santa brought this... it's really nice.  Long and low so it get to just the spot you wanted to jack even on sports cars.  I never looked up the price, but I know Santa lives by reviews and I would give this 5 stars

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
3/6/19 8:49 p.m.
Dr. Hess said:
mr2s2000elise said:
Dr. Hess said:

The top HF jack, with the T handle.  It fit under my Elise (RIP), and it will lift my Land Cruiser.

Thank you. Which is the "top HF Jack?" Appreciate it.

The one I have has to be 6 or 8 years old now.  It was the top of the line at the time, their most expensive model then, at least in the store. SKU 68050.  It appears to have been superseded by ones like this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-long-reach-low-profile-steel-heavy-duty-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-orange-64241.html

which are also rated at higher capacity.

Gotcha. Thanks! So Daytona is the caddilac of home jacks?

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
3/6/19 8:50 p.m.
Curtis said:

I'll have to check my model numbers.  I have three HF jacks.  One is the standard rolling "little" jack, one is the heavy steel "professional-looking" jack, and one is a low-profile aluminum "racing" jack with the fast lift thing.

"little" jack works great but it's little.  "professional-looking" jack is phenomenal but wouldn't fit under my lowered cars, so I bought the low profile "racing" jack.  It sucks.  There are jacks that have a sorta switching valve that lets it pump up fast with no load, then switches to a more normal pump ratio when it meets the frame.  The one I bought is not that type.  It just has one speed which is a bit faster with no load, but then almost requires you to sit on the lever to continue jacking.  I think they call it a "racing" jack because they assume that what you're lifting weighs 1800 lbs.  Put it under a 5000 lb car and I think you might get a hernia trying to get it in the air.

I used to have a few jacks. I would settle for one good one these days :)

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
3/7/19 8:55 a.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

Looks like it from their web site.  I have found with HF stuff that the bottom of the line, cheapest item is usually a poor hammer.  Their higher priced (for HF) stuff is well worth the additional money and quite serviceable.  They have also been playing with their branding lately with their upscale items getting a "premium" sounding brand.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/7/19 9:09 a.m.

yep, I have an HF standard steel jack that just wont die. I want the low profile long reach rapid pump one but I keep waiting for my 12 year old HF one to die. Maybe I should just bite  the bullet anyway. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
3/7/19 9:10 a.m.
tux424 said:

3 ton low profile on sale for $79.99 with coupon:
http://www.hfcoupons.com/hfweb/big_coupon.php?url=http://www.hfcoupons.com/harbor_freight/l_coupons/20190331_la2.jpg

I think i will get this 

will go yo loccal HF and see what they have 

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
3/7/19 9:19 a.m.

I also have the low-profile steel HF guy, don't remember if it's 2.5 or 3-ton, but it's been great.  And for further evidence, there's a used tire shop near me that has like a dozen of those jacks that sit outside all day, rain or shine.  I presume they pull them inside overnight, but then again they might just chain them up with a lock.  Regardless, although this is not a shop that is going to impress any of their customers with a new Snap On jack sitting outside, they also are clearly not in the business of buying new jacks every six months, and I reckon they use them more in a month than anyone in a home garage would in a couple of years.  

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
3/7/19 9:45 a.m.
NorseDave said:

I also have the low-profile steel HF guy, don't remember if it's 2.5 or 3-ton, but it's been great.  And for further evidence, there's a used tire shop near me that has like a dozen of those jacks that sit outside all day, rain or shine.  I presume they pull them inside overnight, but then again they might just chain them up with a lock.  Regardless, although this is not a shop that is going to impress any of their customers with a new Snap On jack sitting outside, they also are clearly not in the business of buying new jacks every six months, and I reckon they use them more in a month than anyone in a home garage would in a couple of years.  

Thank you sir! Looking forward to my first HF purchase!

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
3/7/19 10:03 a.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
tux424 said:

http://www.hfcoupons.com/hfweb/big_coupon.php?url=http://www.hfcoupons.com/harbor_freight/l_coupons/20190331_la2.jpg

I think i will get this 

That's the exact jack I have.

I'm shocked that this may be your first HF purchase considering you're less than an hour from their HQ. I grew up in Thousand Oaks and have fond memories of visiting their mega-store in Oxnard.

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/7/19 10:20 a.m.
2002maniac said:
mr2s2000elise said:
tux424 said:

I think i will get this 

I'm shocked that this may be your first HF purchase considering you're less than an hour from their HQ. I grew up in Thousand Oaks and have fond memories of visiting their mega-store in Oxnard.

I got 4 of thoes, my father in law has 2, and my neighbor has 2 ( he sells used tires and E36 M3 ) and he never brings his inside and they are a few years old now. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
3/7/19 10:27 a.m.
2002maniac said:
mr2s2000elise said:
tux424 said:

I think i will get this 

Grew up in Westlake village - down the street from you. We used to buy Sears tools. Didn't even know HF was headquartered here. THen again, we never went north of TO, so Oxnard/Ventura wasn't our stops. STraight to our summer house in SB only :)

Looking forward to the experience 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
3/7/19 10:28 a.m.
Professor_Brap said:
2002maniac said:
mr2s2000elise said:
tux424 said:

I think i will get this 

I got 4 of thoes, my father in law has 2, and my neighbor has 2 ( he sells used tires and E36 M3 ) and he never brings his inside and they are a few years old now. 

Excellent. Purchase decision made then!

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/7/19 10:51 a.m.

How do we convice HF that the autocross market is so big that they should build a jack just for us? I have an older Craftsman that came in a plastic carrying case that packs one million times better than the aluminum HF jack. Give me a jack in a carrying case, that's aluminum and lighter and I'll replace it in a hot second. 

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/7/19 11:05 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

How do we convice HF that the autocross market is so big that they should build a jack just for us? I have an older Craftsman that came in a plastic carrying case that packs one million times better than the aluminum HF jack. Give me a jack in a carrying case, that's aluminum and lighter and I'll replace it in a hot second. 

A email would go a long way. 

Nugi
Nugi Reader
3/7/19 8:34 p.m.

Weird, I too grew up in TO. Great memories of taking the mtn trails all the way to the coast, skating in the park sewers, and hanging at the mall. But HF was not a thing back then. I would have been all over it, as would have my father who swore by craftsman. Weird how things change. I will have to check out the mega store if I ever visit again. 

To the point, I too have the grey 3ton low profile from hf and it has been a tank for 3 years. If i had it to do over Id have spent a bit more for the better model with big urethane wheels over the steel. The occasional rough diveway use is okay, but could be better. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
3/7/19 8:42 p.m.
Nugi said:

Weird, I too grew up in TO. Great memories of taking the mtn trails all the way to the coast, skating in the park sewers, and hanging at the mall. But HF was not a thing back then. I would have been all over it, as would have my father who swore by craftsman. Weird how things change. I will have to check out the mega store if I ever visit again. 

To the point, I too have the grey 3ton low profile from hf and it has been a tank for 3 years. If i had it to do over Id have spent a bit more for the better model with big urethane wheels over the steel. The occasional rough diveway use is okay, but could be better. 

Which do you recommend, then?

Nugi
Nugi Reader
3/7/19 9:16 p.m.

Both are fine. I like my current one but is heavy, and takes a bit of effort to drag over stuff the wheels wont clear. If used on flat ground they are nearly equal I suspect. My driveway is rough and I have tall garage door barriers, so my situation may be unique. The overall build quality seems better on the orange/yellow models, and seems worth the extra, but thats a value judgement. I would trust either to lift their rated load safely. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
3/7/19 10:06 p.m.

In reply to Nugi :

Thank you kindly

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
3/8/19 8:52 a.m.

I didn't know they had one with urethane wheels.  I'm sure they would be fine and all, but that's kind of a wear item and I have a broken hockey puck.  I think I would personally put up with a little more inconvenience muscling the jack over small stuff and go with the steel wheels for longevity.  For two bills, I want this to last me decades with only seal replacements.

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project Reader
3/8/19 1:00 p.m.

This is relevant to my interests- my jack just took a crap at the end of last year and I haven't replaced it yet.

What if I'm fat and want to lift my piles a little higher so I can fit under them? Anyone have one of these?

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/floor-jacks/3-ton-long-reach-low-profile-steel-heavy-duty-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-lime-64785.html

EDIT: Jesus the thing weighs over a hundred pounds...

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
3/8/19 1:12 p.m.

Yeah, the steel one I have is a bit on the portly side as well.  Not good for just tossing in the boot a minute to go to the autocross or whatever.  You want the aluminum "racing" one for that.  Also, on the aluminum "racing" jack, the handles on the side of the thing come off.  I found it much easier to get a jack stand under stuff with those handles off. 

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
3/8/19 1:22 p.m.

In reply to mke :

Hah, I knew I couldn't be the only person that puts a hockey puck on the jack. Nearly everyone that walks into my shop asks the "Is that a hockey puck?" question.

I don't have much to add as I have 79.99 HF steel "low profile" jack. It's been good to me.

I do wish it's reach was a bit longer. It doesn't quite make it to the rear motor mount jack point on the lowered MS3. I'd probably opt for the Daytona long reach low profile one if I had to do it again.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
3/8/19 1:46 p.m.
The0retical said:

In reply to mke :

probably opt for the Daytona long reach low profile one if I had to do it again.

I will check this weekend if the store has it 

do most HF store carry all their online products or just the popular ones? 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/8/19 1:48 p.m.

I recommend Nicholson, he can be serious, funny, intense, or lighthearted. He brings a lot to every role and has had relatively few stinkers. Generally a sound investment.  

I also recommend Daniels.  OK, its not fancy, but if your goal is to get really drunk, this stuff does the job every time. 

I highly recommend White.  Solo, his stuff is amazing, next-level stuff.  With his sister on drums, he is also outstanding. Money well spent every time.  In fact, I recommend Black and White and wish they did something together! 

(me too pinch!)

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Pqb3i7mDt99iRciedoL8RD5NjCvYL3XkmmZARuQbV6hRuFIeFAlXwONb8NEOQydQ