1 2 3 4 ... 9
MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar HalfDork
5/8/09 9:55 a.m.

I'm going to look at a beater Talladega Red '90 900SPG tomorrow morning.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/8/09 10:31 a.m.
MiatarPowar wrote: I'm going to look at a beater Talladega Red '90 900SPG tomorrow morning.

Did Saab actually name a color Talladega Red?

How European...

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
5/8/09 11:45 a.m.

OK... You've got me.. Saab makes wagons and are good in the snow...

I've seen clarkson driving the saab on topgear.. I like the styling.. especially of the 3 door hatch, but... explain to me the allure of saabs as a daily...

Like how would a saab compare to a subaru legacy wagon or so...

NBS2005
NBS2005 Dork
5/8/09 12:24 p.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyJREXP1JPg

http://www.saabhistory.com/2007/03/06/saab-96-rally-footage-rac-safari-monte-carlo/

NBS2005
NBS2005 Dork
5/8/09 12:26 p.m.

One more

http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-6019717682691222690&autoPlay=true

jpod999
jpod999 Reader
5/8/09 12:33 p.m.

I'm trying to convince my mom to sell her '00 Sienna and buy one of her favorite cars...a 900 convertible. It would definitely have to be turbo/5 speed too. Currently looking for one.

Love the pictures of everyone's Saabs, modded 900s or 99s are awesome.

walterj
walterj Dork
5/8/09 12:41 p.m.
Luke wrote: Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

So far this is the only thing I see keeping another SAAB post from being pointless...

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson New Reader
5/8/09 1:17 p.m.
Carson wrote: aab.net/gallery/enduro2/PC190009.JPG" /> Here's a mid engined 97

So many levels of awesome!!!, I followed the link back this this home page http://www.martin-roth.com/ Lot's of pics of the build. Unfortunately I'm not fluent on gobbledygook so I can't read it. Looks pretty though.

MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar HalfDork
5/8/09 1:18 p.m.
Did Saab actually name a color Talladega Red? How European...

Yes. It was named in reference to the records that Saab set at Talladega Superspeedway in 1986. They also produced a Saab 900 Talladega (edition) in 1997 to commemorate the records that were broken once again in 1996.

You can read some info about the Talladega Challenges here: http://www.trollhattansaab.net/archives/2005/12/talladega_iii.html

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
5/8/09 2:23 p.m.

Let me know when you get sick of feeding Garfield lasagna, or coolant.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/8/09 4:25 p.m.

I just took a look at the website on that mid-engined 97.. my fabrication skills feel VERY inadequet now

MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar HalfDork
5/8/09 5:18 p.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: Let me know when you get sick of feeding Garfield lasagna, or coolant.

I might let it go to the right person for the right price right now, honestly. I'm looking at buying a house and thinning the herd... Hence considering the jump to a beater 900 from the LS400. There's a slight difference in monetary value.

Shoot me a message or an email if you're serious. I'd have to think about it.

mtn
mtn Dork
5/8/09 6:41 p.m.
ignorant wrote: explain to me the allure of saabs as a daily... Like how would a saab compare to a subaru legacy wagon or so...

Can't say how it would compare to a legacy, never having been in one.

I'm speaking for the 9-5 only, I've never been in a 9-3. For us, the big allure was that you don't see yourself coming and going. Its not one of the billion SUVs or Honda's or Subaru's (although that might be slightly unique to my area).

-They are big on the inside. My brother is 6-3, 280. He fits in the back seat with a small person and a regular sized person.
-It is the best car we have ever had in the snow--out of SUV's, 4x4, subaru...
-It doesn't feel that much like a FWD to us, which is good, because front wheel drive is bad.
-28 MPG average if I drive it. 25 if its my dad.

ValuePack
ValuePack HalfDork
5/8/09 10:51 p.m.

Rrrrr. Missing my '92 C900S as of late. Not fast enough to set the world on fire, but was mainly rustfree and would've been a great rallyxer. Went to a scrapper for $0 after I lost my job and my landlord forced me to get rid of it.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
5/9/09 8:46 p.m.

email sent to Miatapowar....email me back at per@grassrootsmotorsports.com

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Reader
5/10/09 9:56 a.m.

mad_machine
5/10/09 10:10 a.m.
ValuePack wrote: Rrrrr. Missing my '92 C900S as of late. Not fast enough to set the world on fire, but was mainly rustfree and would've been a great rallyxer. Went to a scrapper for $0 after I lost my job and my landlord forced me to get rid of it.

ouch.. that really sucks. Could not have sold it for even a couple hundred?

ValuePack
ValuePack HalfDork
5/10/09 9:46 p.m.
mad_machine wrote:
ValuePack wrote: Rrrrr. Missing my '92 C900S as of late. Not fast enough to set the world on fire, but was mainly rustfree and would've been a great rallyxer. Went to a scrapper for $0 after I lost my job and my landlord forced me to get rid of it.
ouch.. that really sucks. Could not have sold it for even a couple hundred?

I tried seliing for a few months(it was listed here, too), I think I was asking ~$700 or so with some spares(perhaps a bit much in hindsight). It ran very well but needed clutch hydraulics(I had the OE rebuild parts NIB to go with), clean OG blue leather, 99k miles, bit of rust in the trunk floor and under the front fender trim, dead AC, leaky sunroof, headliner held up with staples, new snow tires. No one even came to look at it. My landlord came around to get the rent on a Wednesday and said the car needed to be gone by the end of the week or my family and I would be(no inop cars clause in my rental agreement). I kept the wheels, new tires, grill, sidemarkers and emblems, a local scrapper came and picked up the rest.

Not the nicest car around, but would've been a fantastic daily for a Saab nut with a garage and a free weekend.

procainestart
procainestart Dork
5/11/09 2:26 p.m.

Thanks for the vote.

Someday I'll own another 99...

friedgreencorrado wrote: procaine, I just voted up yer notchback over on the Readers' Rides. I've always liked those things. I was once the Service Mgr. at a racing buddy's indie SAAB shop. We ran a 99 in SCCA ITB, but I can't find a picture of it anywhere.
MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar HalfDork
5/21/09 8:50 a.m.

snipes
snipes New Reader
5/21/09 10:35 a.m.

That's so cool I took this picture! I am so happy to be feeling the Saab love here at GRM. That I have been working on the SPG.

Carson wrote: I'll add some more.

two more that I found searching Flicker

Carson
Carson HalfDork
5/21/09 6:00 p.m.
snipes wrote: That's so cool I took this picture! I am so happy to be feeling the Saab love here at GRM. That I have been working on the SPG.

Any details on that car? Those flares are fantastic!

Luke
Luke Dork
5/21/09 6:37 p.m.

In the same way a man can never be too rich, his wheel arches can never be too flared. - Jeremy Clarkson

snipes
snipes New Reader
5/21/09 7:15 p.m.
Carson wrote:
snipes wrote: That's so cool I took this picture! I am so happy to be feeling the Saab love here at GRM. That I have been working on the SPG.
Any details on that car? Those flares are fantastic!

I spoke with the owner, but it was at the 2005 SOC. I think he said they were the real old school racing flares that were never used. I was thinking big $$$ to have imported at the time. Anyway I have had a lot of beer since then so who knows. These are the other pics I took.

But I still want to know more about the green RWD car I posted above.

check out this guys pictures saab picture

mad_machine
5/21/09 8:13 p.m.

yes, the NG 900 and 9-3 seem to work well RWD. Definatly enough room in the nose to turn the engine around

1 2 3 4 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
v6Smgb3Cktxronrcjt9aytRENXZNPqv9cNONoc8oEXFaVCXTkFvHz4tAL3sufheu