1 2 3 ... 6
beans
beans Dork
7/31/14 7:50 p.m.

http://www.polaris.com/en-us/slingshot

Light, 175hp, doorless, windowless, 3 wheels, $20k. Motorcycle license required in most states. Crap tires, not pretty, but Intrigued. Discuss.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/31/14 8:03 p.m.

There was a thread a couple of days ago. Intriguing for sure, but looks like it would go off the road backward every chance it got.

plance1
plance1 Dork
7/31/14 8:26 p.m.

Well I'm not talking about it because they have a big ole stupid box on the screen that gets in the way of seeing the video

carbon
carbon Dork
7/31/14 8:29 p.m.

It's really too bad that the government has made laws that nessesitate the production of 3 wheeled abominations like this instead of caterhams, ariel atoms, and ktm xbows. 3 wheels is not a better setup than 4 in any way shape or form,

plance1
plance1 Dork
7/31/14 8:34 p.m.

seriously, their website sucks hard. I keep clicking things in the top bar to stop the stupid video from playing to no avail. So the same video keeps playing over and over again with a big box in the way.

kb58
kb58 HalfDork
7/31/14 8:41 p.m.

Yeah this one's already been discussed. In my mind, three-wheelers aren't going to catch on here because - no matter how hard the engineers/salespeople argue otherwise - they always look like they're going to tip over. It's pretty much impossible to get around peoples' impressions.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
7/31/14 8:58 p.m.

Marginally less ghey than a Can-Am but that's like being the thinnest person on "the biggest loser".

You need a bike license to operate it.

For the cost of it, you can buy one kick-ass motorcycle or two boring ones.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/31/14 11:18 p.m.

I like it.

ncjay
ncjay Dork
8/1/14 2:22 a.m.

Why is it that you can take a car noone would buy, lose a wheel, and then it becomes a motorcycle? That's an insult to all those with the skills to actually operate a 2 wheeled machine. All the drawbacks of owning a bike and it still takes up the space of a small car.

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
8/1/14 5:29 a.m.

cause this

bigfoot21075
bigfoot21075 New Reader
8/1/14 6:01 a.m.

Spoken like one with no clue.....

kb58 wrote: Yeah this one's already been discussed. In my mind, three-wheelers aren't going to catch on here because - no matter how hard the engineers/salespeople argue otherwise - they always look like they're going to tip over. It's pretty much impossible to get around peoples' impressions.
Tralfaz
Tralfaz Reader
8/1/14 6:31 a.m.
bigfoot21075 wrote: Spoken like one with no clue.....
kb58 wrote: Yeah this one's already been discussed. In my mind, three-wheelers aren't going to catch on here because - no matter how hard the engineers/salespeople argue otherwise - they always look like they're going to tip over. It's pretty much impossible to get around peoples' impressions.

?!?!?

bentwrench
bentwrench Reader
8/1/14 7:13 a.m.

Reverse trikes are the shiznit! I'm not real sure about the rear wheel drive though. I would not even consider a CanAm, but this thing I want to test drive. It seems to me a CanAm would just try to spit the rider(s) off you need to sit down inside it not on top of it.

I have always been a fan of the reverse trike especially after a ride years ago in a TriHawk, under powered but a thrilling ride. Add 175hp to that equation and it will be hard to knock the smile off my face. I hope Polaris has not screwed it up.

If they have I'm sure a FWD version will be out soon!

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Reader
8/1/14 7:19 a.m.

Elio motors anyone? It's been all over my FB feed lately and actually looks kinda cool.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
8/1/14 7:26 a.m.

In reply to beans:

Because we already did.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/polaris-slingshot/89224/page1/

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
8/1/14 7:41 a.m.

It's an interesting idea, but I'd rather have a Morgan or due to the stupid purchase price, a replica of one. To me such a contraption is all about the styling rather than pure performance and to me the Morgan just looks better.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
8/1/14 7:53 a.m.

I like it and with all of the "toy money" people we have in the area, I hope to see them at dealerships and on the roads. Maybe even a test ride...

RossD
RossD PowerDork
8/1/14 7:57 a.m.
plance1 wrote: Well I'm not talking about it because they have a big ole stupid box on the screen that gets in the way of seeing the video

Right click on the offending piece of website (ie. the stupid box in the corner) and click on 'Inspect Element'. An extra window at the bottom of the screen will pop up with html code in it. Use your curse and hover over the lines of code and watch the website and certain pieces will be highlighted. When you find the bit of code that you want to delete, right click on the code and delete it. If it doesn't work the first time move towards the top of the page of code and delete that too. If you delete something you didn't want to, just reload the page.

unk577
unk577 Reader
8/1/14 7:58 a.m.

I have 3 issues.

Weight-it isn't light

Power- could of got more from a bike motor with less weight or. Ore from a different car motor for the same weight

Price-I'm cheap and there are much more capable option for a toy in that price range

CanAm has done a good job with their Spyder

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
8/1/14 8:02 a.m.

I like the fact that the rear quarter crumple zone is your ass in a plastic bucket.

I wonder how bad it would unbalance with a 240lb driver and no passenger?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/1/14 8:26 a.m.

It's a cool toy and I am sure it is a lot of fun, but it is a different genre than anything else. It will have to find a fan base from people who want the open-air experience of a motorcycle along with the inability to ever protect yourself from the elements or take too much cargo, along with the handling of a sports car without the practicality of a roof or traction offered by 4 wheels. It may go down as a cool plaything for people with money, or it might dominate some SCCA class at the autocross and become legend. Time will tell.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
8/1/14 8:34 a.m.

I'm not talking about it because $20k will buy several actual motorcycles or cars I would prefer. That, and I have some sort of personal aversion to three wheeled motorcycles of any kind. It's a bike you can't lay over or a car with 50% of the rear grip it should have. And they look silly. I'm sure someone loves this but I just can't get on board. The CanAm Spyder is the same sort of "goofy worst of both and ugly" to me so... could just be a "Get off my lawn" problem I'm having.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
8/1/14 8:39 a.m.

Let me answer you here

unk577 wrote:

I have 3 issues.

Weight-it isn't light

Yeah, it is. It may require a motorcycle license but it drives like a car. I think that under 1700 dry is about as good as you can do in the current age of build construction and safety

Power- could of got more from a bike motor with less weight or. Ore from a different car motor for the same weight

True but this is targeted at people who drive cars, not bikes and having something like this that requires a valve adjustment every 5K miles isn't going to help sales. It has 3 times the torque of the BEC and therefore is much easier to drive one the street. Did you notice the motor they are using? It is the driveline (including transmission, it appears) from a Solstice. A few $K and you are in boost land. Ecotecs are cheap and plentiful so if you blow it, find a Solstice and start over.

Price-I'm cheap and there are much more capable option for a toy in that price range

Not in something that is NEW and you sit IN not ON. Once again, this is for car people or people who need to get away from bikes. Also, I bet my wife would get in this. No way is she riding on the back of my bike.

CanAm has done a good job with their Spyder

Agreed, so there is room for some competition and I will totally be looking at these in 5 years when I can grab one with a blown bevel drive for 2K.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UberDork
8/1/14 9:09 a.m.

The only problem I have with it is the styling. Put me in the Morgan camp.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/1/14 9:22 a.m.

Don't Morgans start at $60k? And you guys think this is an expensive toy...

1 2 3 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ajo8NBdJw5wYu6dxIUksQ2jqDvfBYIJX7R1aCVqVRVKo0TcRQ8gwwNy56fVZMRH8