1 2 3 4
Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Dork
9/19/21 11:40 p.m.

In reply to Shawn G:

In reply to Junghole :

This is just our usual monthly "someone is enjoying their car wrong" thread that we always have.

Well, yea. If you modify your car in such a way that serves no purpose other than to be loud and obnoxious, I can confidently say you are using your car wrong. For every teenager that thinks you are cool, there are a few dozen adults that need to get up for work the next morning. There are times and places for everything. 90's rally stage? Cool. My neighborhood at 3am? Not cool. This mod is especially annoying because there is no "drive it easy and it will be quieter" mode. It sounds someone lighting off fire crackers just coasting to a stop sign. 

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
9/20/21 12:46 a.m.
Boost_Crazy said:

In reply to Shawn G:

In reply to Junghole :

This is just our usual monthly "someone is enjoying their car wrong" thread that we always have.

Well, yea. If you modify your car in such a way that serves no purpose other than to be loud and obnoxious, I can confidently say you are using your car wrong. For every teenager that thinks you are cool, there are a few dozen adults that need to get up for work the next morning. There are times and places for everything. 90's rally stage? Cool. My neighborhood at 3am? Not cool. This mod is especially annoying because there is no "drive it easy and it will be quieter" mode. It sounds someone lighting off fire crackers just coasting to a stop sign. 

and we all race our cars, right?

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/20/21 12:50 a.m.

In reply to Teh E36 M3 :

We all seem to think we do. Or think we are higher-tier car enthusiasts in this forum lol

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Dork
9/20/21 1:28 a.m.

In reply to Teh E36 M3 :

Not sure what you are getting at? These aren't race cars that I'm talking about, and not on race tracks. This mod serves absolutely no performance purpose. I don't care what people do with their cars if it doesn't affect me. If you want to add huge wings, tow hooks, and number plates to you commute car, knock yourself out. But turning your car into a rolling display of disturbing the peace does affect me- both as a resident of the community and as an enthusiast that would like to keep our little hobby off the radar as much as possible. I've enjoyed modding and driving cars for many years. At my worst I knew better than to bring negative attention to myself or my hobby.

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
9/20/21 4:42 a.m.
yupididit said:

In reply to Teh E36 M3 :

We all seem to think we do. Or think we are higher-tier car enthusiasts in this forum lol

Gatekeeping is hard work.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/20/21 6:28 a.m.
yupididit said:
dean1484 said:

It will go away eventually. Like spinners, underglow, and murdered out cars. 

To be honest, I like all of that lol

Did not say it was bad. It is just trends that have gone away up here. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/20/21 8:45 a.m.

In reply to Boost_Crazy :

I'm with you, man.  It's much more than a simple matter of taste or get off my lawn.

These are the tools who, from trend to trend and generation to generation, bring on the crackdowns we keep seeing panicky messages about.

Enough people bitch about loud exhausts?  Guess what - eventually it's illegal to modify your exhaust.  Enough people bitch about crackle tunes?  Eventually all tuning becomes illegal.  Ask your friends in Australia how hard it is to have a modified street car there.

There are a bunch of the cracklebois around here.  The most notable is a twat in an unmuffled FRS/BR-Z that does the freeway commute in 4th gear at 70, lifting throttle randomly every few seconds so we all get to share in just exactly how cool he thinks he is.  There's another twat in a newer M4 that not only has a crackle tune but is set to blip every downshift, meaning we all get to think Tommi Makinen is here as he putts along in traffic and turns onto Main Street.

Again, I don't care what kind of car you like or how you want it to be, but when you being a douchebag interferes with everyone else's chance to play with their cars, then YES, you're doing it wrong.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/20/21 9:16 a.m.

It's those god damned hot-rodders again!!

Though it has to be infuriating to have to hear it all the time. Like the WRX in our development with this BS or the bro-dozer with no mufflers that has to race up our street to work at 6am cool glad my open header race car is less annoying than all of this, considering it starts just a few times a year

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/20/21 9:31 a.m.

Unmuffled Harley exhausts and booming stereos bother me way more. 

But I do agree with the "hey douchenozzle, you're going to ruin it for the rest of us" sentiment. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/20/21 10:37 a.m.

I like the burbles. Don't really like the pops. But's a free country. At least in my neighborhood, it gives us another card to play in the "fireworks or gunshots" game. 

Opti
Opti Dork
9/20/21 10:45 a.m.

I subscribe the the "...cast the first stone," people in glass houses blah blah, and live and let live philosophies, so I wont say too much because I do have an open header race car that get started regularly.

People do annoying stuff all the time including me, I just chock it up as part of life.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/20/21 1:52 p.m.

My neighbor who used to have the lifted truck that was always in spool now has...a riced Golf with the attack tune. Le sigh.

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Dork
9/20/21 3:18 p.m.

In reply to Opti :

People do annoying stuff all the time including me, I just chock it up as part of life.

And that's why we have so many laws and rules in our society now. Many of us have lost the ability to police ourselves and be good neighbors. "Enthusiasts" who lack self control- or worse intentionally cause disruption- ruin it for the vast majority of us that enjoy our hobby more discretely. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/20/21 4:17 p.m.
hobiercr said:

My neighbor who used to have the lifted truck that was always in spool now has...a riced Golf with the attack tune. Le sigh.

He probably got tired of driving something that needed boost just to sit therr idling, let alone move.

miatafan
miatafan GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/20/21 6:38 p.m.

This is a stock Veloster N exhaust.  Linky

Opti
Opti Dork
9/20/21 9:08 p.m.

Gonna have to disagree with you there. Slight offensive shouldn't lead to regulation in every walk of life.

Im a pretty good neighbor. I live by many people that aren't, I let that E36 M3 go, like people should 

I wish people wouldn't act like douche canoes, but the people that get all wound up about it when its relatively benign are the bigger dummies

We live in a world filled with karens

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
9/20/21 10:15 p.m.

In reply to Opti :

They say, if you don't think there's a jerk in your neighbourhood, it's probably you.

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Dork
9/20/21 11:18 p.m.

In reply to Opti :

Gonna have to disagree with you there. Slight offensive shouldn't lead to regulation in every walk of life.

Im a pretty good neighbor. I live by many people that aren't, I let that E36 M3 go, like people should 

I wish people wouldn't act like douche canoes, but the people that get all wound up about it when its relatively benign are the bigger dummies

We live in a world filled with karens

I think this is where you are missing the point. Define slightly offensive. Ask 10 people, you will get 10 answers. But when you get to the point where you are pissing most people off, including car enthusiasts who would normally defend you, then maybe you aren't a very good judge of slightly offensive. I hate excessive regulation but that is the world we live in. Why invite more? I cut my neighbors a lot of slack, hoping they do the same. But I draw the line at deliberate actions that are a big middle finger to the neighborhood. Everybody doing whatever they want without concern for their neighbors sounds like a pretty E36 M3ty place to live. On the other end of the scale, living in an HOA would be hell to me. Fortunately this isn't an either/or proposition. Being a responsible car enthusiast isn't hard. I love  the sound of my turbo spooling, of the blow off valve, of boost building off of launch control. But I understand that my neighbors may not appreciate those sounds as much as I do, so they have no idea what those sound like. If I want to go act like a jackass, I go somewhere that I'm not bothering anybody or attracting unwanted attention. If a jackass launches his car off a 2 step in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound? 

Tk8398
Tk8398 HalfDork
9/21/21 1:16 a.m.

I am all for having fun, but the majority of people are not. Once fun gets to the point of being anti-social and annoying it will be aggressively regulated out of existence.  I hate the crackle tunes too though, I remember once a hyundai genesis driving by on the freeway and making such a big bang that the pressure wave injured my ears even with all the windows up on my car.

Opti
Opti Dork
9/21/21 8:21 a.m.

You're right being a responsible enthusiast isn't hard. I try hard to be a good ambassador for all my hobbies. If someone chooses not to be, that's their decision, and it may have ramifications on my life in the future.

BUT Its the people who gripe about every little thing are the ones ruining it for everyone. We shouldnt have to tip toe around all day because if you upset a certain person, they are going to make it their life's mission to outlaw whatever your doing. They are just affecting car stuff, they are the ones affecting everything.

Examples. A blue Ihop sign or I built a house next to a drag strip, now I need to shut the drag strip down.

The 10 different definitions of slight offense is exactly what im talking about. We end up legislating and regulating to what 9 people consider a slight offense but one loud person considers highly offensive.

At the end of the day a loud crackle exhaust driving by a house once or twice a day is a pretty benign offense, and people that get all wound up about it and everything else are the ones ruining everything.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
9/21/21 8:44 a.m.
Boost_Crazy said:

In reply to Opti :

But I draw the line at deliberate actions that are a big middle finger to the neighborhood. Everybody doing whatever they want without concern for their neighbors sounds like a pretty E36 M3ty place to live. On the other end of the scale, living in an HOA would be hell to me. Fortunately this isn't an either/or proposition. Being a responsible car enthusiast isn't hard. 

This.  100% this.

Its not hard.  My rallyx car was kind of loud.  I would drive it through the neighborhood like a grandma because I try to be respectful of others.  My CNC router is loud and I ensure that I run it with the garage door closed because I try to be respectful of others.  I don't turn my garage music up to 11 at 1pm with the doors open, because I try to be respectful of others.

The types of cars/drivers mentioned in this thread are well beyond the line of respect and "little thing"s that people gripe about.  Cars and trucks making obnoxious noises have passed in front of my house that rattle all the windows, used to wake my 0-2 year old son, send my dog cowering into the corner of the closet/under the bed, and have me covering my ears because the sound is so intense.  This is not acceptable neighborly behavior.

All of us are guilty of being loud once in a while, but (hopefully) none of us are 24/7 and not with the intent of being an shiny happy person.

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
9/21/21 9:05 a.m.

I'm not going to lie, when I first read this thread I didn't have much to comment.  Only one of my cars is loud enough to annoy anyone, and it rarely gets driven.  But as soon as I opened YouTube up, this video was at the top of my que, and it made me giggle. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
9/21/21 10:31 a.m.

My Kia Forte GT does this from the factory. It shocked me on the test drive at how loud it is for a factory exhaust, and it does the burbly farts and pops, especially in Sport Mode. To be honest, it gives the car character, and it doesn't do it all the time. Not nearly as obnoxious as the kid down the street with a straight piped Tiburon that pops and farts throughout the town or all of the "whistlin' diesels" around here. 

Speaking of obnoxious, my old 2002 WRX on a "stage 2" tune and a turbo-back exhaust would shoot fireballs on command. Load up the turbo a bit, downshift, floor it, and BOOM, flames out the back. That was fun for a little while, but I was younger. Kids will be kids...

infernosg
infernosg Reader
9/21/21 11:31 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
preach (fs) said:

Crackle tune up here. It'd drive me nuts.

My car has a proper burble with the new exhaust. No tune.

My mostly stock RX-7 gargles and burbles on overrun, because carbureted rotary without a shutter valve.  It reminds me of old racing footage.

The heavily modified one does not gargle or burble or pop or crackle, because it has halfway decently tuned* EFI, and no exhaust leaks for now.  It doesn't even get all 12-gauge when I use the ignition cut flat shift.

* Half decent means half crappy, which is why I'm datalogging the drive to work tomorrow.  I don't have the tune-while-driving mojo that I used to have.

This. Other than being just plain loud my FC generally doesn't pop/bang/backfire unless I'm really trying. It really only burbles a bit between 4000-3000 RPM on decel because it goes lean for some reason I've yet to figure out. Come to think of it, my completely stock SA pops more on overrun than the FC...

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
9/21/21 12:04 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

I'm still a kid. That's cool.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gIs6Z5MvR8jDxKFCxEcUVRyLcgwhEo5tzrWw515P6XxyfVRoXi1TAAIZS5RnDEqS