Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/25/08 10:24 a.m.

Here's the story.

Read it ya b@stards. I did. I'm feeling better about it already.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/25/08 11:27 a.m.

Full points to PM for a completely gratuitous Megan Fox cheesecake shot!

aircooled
aircooled Dork
6/25/08 5:09 p.m.

Well, it should be interesting. I can sort of see them being OK with blasting some of the supercars (not much of a real customer base for those), but I find it hard to believe they will allow him to slam the low end cars. I personally really like when the BBC version goes off on the "common" cars. Of course it sounds like the American version may only have the supercars, so they may avoid the issue that way.

carguy123
carguy123 Reader
6/25/08 5:19 p.m.

There's just one slight little problem, no matter how you slice it, it's still Adam Corolla. He's annoying as hell!!

Now if he'll just sit on the sidelines and let Tanner do the talking it would be better.

Adam Corolla? That's like letting Will Ferrell do the show.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/26/08 8:52 a.m.

I bet even still....you watch it.

ryanhettenbach
ryanhettenbach New Reader
6/26/08 10:11 a.m.

I don't mind Adam Corolla...however Tanner Foust is a knob. His acting on that exotic car show (on the SPEED channel) gave me the douche chills.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
6/26/08 10:48 a.m.

I'm still looking forward to it, have since the beginning, but particularly since Carolla said he was in on it.

Bryce

carguy123
carguy123 Reader
6/26/08 12:38 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote: I bet even still....you watch it.

Well you have to watch it once just to see how bad it's gonna be. After that it depends upon how much seat time Adam gets as opposed to the other guys

minimac
minimac Dork
6/26/08 2:55 p.m.

Carolla is sometimes funny, but he's no Clarkson. Does he even drive? I would apply to be The Stigs fat American cousin, though.

aircooled
aircooled Dork
6/26/08 3:06 p.m.
minimac wrote: ...Does he even drive?....

I am not sure if he races, but he definitely has cars. The promo shot you see of the three of the host is in his garage (I know there is at least a Cobra in the background). I have also heard him mention buying Paul Newman's Datsun race car (260, 280?).

scotaku
scotaku New Reader
6/26/08 5:34 p.m.

PM: What about guest stars? I’m guessing that Jay Leno and Jerry Seinfeld are chomping at the bit to get on set with you guys, but is the new format as reliant on celebrity car fans as the BBC version?

AC: As far as I know, and I don’t know that they’ve booked anybody just yet, but as far as I know, the plan is to have it be exactly the same as the BBC format, so there’ll be the guest segment, and there’ll be the Stig as well, and there’ll be the stunts, and the test drive, and we’ll have the celebrity segment to the show. I don’t know that we’ll have an A-lister every week, but the good thing about this show is that a lot of big-name guys are also car nuts, so they’re fans of the show because it exists already.

This seals it for me. NBC is trying to copy what works and, like copying anything else, it will never be like the original. The phony Kate Spade sticker peels off unlike the embroidered, stitched on tag. The second hand ticks and loses ten minutes a day while the real Rolex glides and keeps perfect time. Calvin pees on anything and Bill Waterson's lawyers go to town. That Meyle control arm you bargained out of China through eBay snaps like a twig and the armco outside turn eight finishes the job.

If NBC had the balls to try making something unique that also appealed to fans of Top Gear, then I'd have some hope. The market for cheap knockoffs is not one I frequent.

ansonivan
ansonivan New Reader
6/26/08 7:12 p.m.

I think the show is going to be fantastic and can't wait for the first episode.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LG1jcyewG2zsXdbAj55T0cWZxwlrvVaxaB8pUhbrDmlm3j4b4az9SMwvwjUxuPWo