1 2 3
rocketrich
rocketrich New Reader
12/13/15 2:20 p.m.

Question for the hive: If you consider yourself a car guy/gal (gearhead), is ownership/drivership of a Porsche sports/sporty car a moral imperative? I'd never be able to afford one new, but I'm handy with tools and a used example wouldn't frighten me. Problem is, for the price of such a used Porsche, a brand spanking new sports/sporty car would always be a reasonable alternative. Is a 5-10 year old Porsche sports car (affordable-ish range for me, depending on miles and model, I think) better than an equivalently price brand spanking new car such as 370Z, M235i, AudiTTS, MB CLA45 AMG, etc? I tend to buy,hold, and drive to enjoy, miles be damned. Is ownership of a Porsche something not to be missed? Is it that good?

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Dork
12/13/15 2:23 p.m.

I've never found anything special enough about them to warrant there premium

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
12/13/15 2:25 p.m.

There are cars of equal quality and fun factor at a much lower price.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Reader
12/13/15 2:29 p.m.

The "Answer" is, everybody say it with me...

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/13/15 2:31 p.m.

Nope, owing a P car isn't some kind of requirement.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/13/15 2:31 p.m.

I've never owned or driven a 911, but at some point I feel like I will have to own one ... Air cooled or a 997.2.

oldtin
oldtin UberDork
12/13/15 2:43 p.m.

They're not for everyone, but in my mind there are some experiences that are personal requirements, like owning an Alfa, driving a Ferrari with a gated shifter and knowing the feel of an a/c Porsche. A few other items like knowing the sights, sounds and smells of a track waking up in the morning or taking the kink at road America with your foot to the floor.

Ive owned corvettes, BMWs and Porsches. Each have been fast for their times, competent and fun. Each also give a very different experience. I enjoyed the feel and experience of the Porsches I've owned more than the others.

dropstep
dropstep HalfDork
12/13/15 2:45 p.m.

Have zero desire to ever own one. As a car guy my prefrence is still american cars, for porsche money i could get the falcon wagon i actually want to go with the zephyr.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/13/15 3:01 p.m.

The 911s are neat to drive but I found that B2-chassis VWAG products offer a very similar driving feel. Same upright position, same shifter feel and placement, the main differences are the engine noise comes from the wrong spot and the steering weighting is different.

As for the watercooleds, I think about them from time to time but I keep getting turned off by the independent rear suspension. That's no way to put power down effectively on loose surfaces. Frustration with having to deal with a crappy chassis is not fun.

flatlander937
flatlander937 GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/13/15 3:34 p.m.

After driving a Cayman S in anger I realized why people like them so much. It's a fantastic daily driver true sports car.

Not sure I'll actually own one, but its not because I don't want one.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
12/13/15 4:56 p.m.

After maintaining my boss's mid '70's 911, I swore I would never own one. Still haven't.

rocketrich
rocketrich New Reader
12/13/15 5:23 p.m.

In reply to Slippery:

Yes, This is what I'm talking about!

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
12/13/15 5:44 p.m.

Frankly, I find this question to be a bit obnoxious.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
12/13/15 5:53 p.m.

I don't think it's a requirement. I would like to drive one in anger as well as several other makes.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
12/13/15 6:00 p.m.

I want a 914.

I don't think Porsche ownership is a car guy must do, like burnouts/road trips/drag strip/hpde. But for certain guys, there's a box only a Porsche can check. Same as corvette, viper, or vintage racer.

NickD
NickD Reader
12/13/15 6:04 p.m.

I have absolutely no interest in owning a Porsche. Or anything to do with Porsches. I don't like looking at them (I don't think any of them look that good), I don't like hearing about them, I have absolutely no interest in them whatsoever. Or 99% of German cars, for that fact. So, no, I don't consider it a moral imperative.

asoduk
asoduk Reader
12/13/15 6:10 p.m.

Its a fun car that is versatile enough for the daily grind. I would suggest the Boxster or Cayman. Don't get stuck on needing the S. It's cool, but the base is actually more fun in the same way that a miata is fun: momentum.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
12/13/15 6:23 p.m.

I think owning SOME iconic car is a good thing to do. Doesn't have to be a Porsche, but something that is widely considered to be really 'good'. Something with an absolutely rabid die hard community. It gives you some perspective and lets you know if you can be a marque guy.
I like my 911 a lot. I understand why people get Porsche tattoos. I also don't think there's anything magical about Porsches and don't think that a dedicated Porsche owner is any more of a car guy than a dedicated Volvo guy or a dedicated Honda guy. I couldn't be a Porsche guy. No matter how good they are, they're not good in the same way that other cars are. Focusing on just Porsches would have me missing the glory of V8 station wagons. I'd miss the precision of a light FWD car on a rallycross course. I'd never experience driving a deuce and a half through the woods. OK, I haven't done that last one.....yet....
I like my Porsche, but I like other cars too.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/13/15 8:09 p.m.

I don't know...I'm going to disagree with the hive and say Yes...You must at least drive an aircooled 911 with it's balky 915 gearbox that appreciates, nigh requires rev-matching and double-clutching to hustle it around. Preferably with carbs. You don't have to own it, but you should experience it.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
12/13/15 8:33 p.m.

Moral imperative sounds like very strong language for the first world problem of decided what sports car I might want to own.

I have been lucky enough to drive a 1970, '77 and '84 911 along with a 928 and a couple of 914's. I am glad I had a chance to drive all of them. I understand a lot of what makes them appealing. I have looked at them on Craigslist. I have yet to own one. As much as I enjoyed my seat time, having one hasn't become a compelling need for me.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/13/15 8:36 p.m.

Porches are great, but the idea that an enthusiast "must" own any particular car or make in their life is a bit silly, IMO.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/13/15 8:36 p.m.

The only ones I've driven were a 914 (restored, prepped for autocross) and 944 (stock). The 914 was amazing, the 944 was fun but certainly could have used more power. I sat in an early 911 once and totally don't get the allure - sure they're legendary for what they represented at the time, I get that, but it completely felt like a tarted-up Beetle inside the cabin. There was a 930 turbo that made our local events though, and damn it was quick AND sounded awesome!

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT HalfDork
12/13/15 8:42 p.m.

There is nothing else like an air-cooled Porsche. If you enjoy that experience, nothing else can deliver it. If, however, that experience isn't important to you then there are other, cheaper alternatives.

JimS
JimS New Reader
12/13/15 8:44 p.m.

I just sold my s2000 and bought a cpo 2013 911 Carerra. Although I find myself missing the s2000 the Porsche is awesome. The clean lines of a 911 are beautiful compared to the overdone cars on the road today like the gaudy C7. The interior is comfortable and classy. The car is solid, fast, and sounds terrific. I've always wanted one.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UberDork
12/13/15 9:12 p.m.

I'd love to spend a day or two with an aircooled 911, but I doubt very much that I'd actually want to own it. Same goes for 944s.

Come to think of it, I think I've said the exact same thing about RX-7s.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OaJjmE3t4RyvsCUOYCFpzzsFZurypvMmbHKH3KurH18moZ0a2jrVk8SrwsunI4ee