Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
1/30/23 4:02 p.m.
feature_image

What would a modern-day successor to the Porsche 356 look like? Well, the car maker from Stuttgart seems to have been wondering that, too.

Meet the Porsche Vision 357, “an attempt to combine the past, present and future with coherency, featuring proportions that are reminiscent of its historical archetype and details that visualise the outlook for the future,” says Michael …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
1/30/23 4:19 p.m.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/30/23 7:44 p.m.

IMO it looks like a 911 and Opel had a very small love child. 

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
1/30/23 7:51 p.m.

Looks like 90s 911 nose stuck on a Audi TT or a new beetle to me.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/30/23 8:29 p.m.

It's not bad at all.  I do prefer the Mission R modern design language though and the aspirational nature of its technology.  Yes it's cool that this is combustion Engined but I feel like a future looking Drivetrain would be more fitting to a homage build.  

Also am I the only one that sees 350Z In that rear 3/4 view?  I realize it is very difficult to differentiate a car with short rear overhang, wide fendered, sloping "hatch" type from each other..   but..

trumant
trumant GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/30/23 8:30 p.m.

I would kill to drive this and I don't doubt that it's a hell of a drivers car but that front end styling is a hard no.

msterbeau
msterbeau Reader
1/30/23 9:13 p.m.

I mostly like it.  I don't love the rear and the way it's flattened in plan view compared to the front.  I LOVE the wheels.  Part mechanical, part aero. 

msterbeau
msterbeau Reader
1/30/23 9:17 p.m.
nocones said:

Also am I the only one that sees 350Z In that rear 3/4 view?  I realize it is very difficult to differentiate a car with short rear overhang, wide fendered, sloping "hatch" type from each other..   but..

What I think you're seeing that's similar is that the roofline is one, unbroken sweep from the windshield header all the way back to the rear edge of the deck. Nothing else really does it like that.  The Porsche has more crown in it, though.  I prefer it to the Nissan.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
1/31/23 11:06 a.m.

It will be interesting to see it next to an old 356 , 

Hopefully Porsche will bring it to Rennsport at Laguna Seca later in the year , 

are there any videos of it driving ? Or  even photos with the doors open ?

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/31/23 11:52 a.m.

There's already a diy kit too!

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/31/23 6:36 p.m.

I watched the Top Gear "First Look" video a couple of days ago...

I definitely dig the resurgence of "Aero Wheels".

My main beef is, that the rear end would never end up looking like that.  Those curves are a massive issue with unstable flow separation, which would kill mileage and rearend aero stability (afaik).  So, to me, all those splitters, sideskirts, aero covers end up being a bunch of "Aero Lipstick" on the car... instead of a "modern coherent design".

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
2/1/23 11:45 a.m.

On the video there are no interior shots but you can see the shadow of some seats inside , 

it may only be a rolling Design study at this time , 

I did like the Porsche Van and trailer near the end of the video , 

I still hope to see a running version at Rennsport later in the year.

loudes13
loudes13 Reader
9/30/23 3:36 p.m.

I'm a trouble maker

imagine if a sports car had the original size and proportions as the 356?

that's what what I'm talking about!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qMDs4fa8lEtuEZgucRDdMc3qSzWqnuWDc1N5dScU1wmvJdv04mGNVudW4uEsPgH1