1 2 3
pushrod36
pushrod36 Reader
11/17/16 3:30 p.m.
JAhmed wrote:
Knurled wrote:
Matt B wrote: Well, they finally caved.
It took them long enough to abandon the pretense of air cooling, and now this. Maybe at some point they will put the ignition lock cylinder on the right side of the steering column? Although I suppose push button start/smart fobs render that moot. Serious question: Do any newer Porschen have smart fobs and keyless start, and if so, is the button on the left?
New Porsche models with "comfort access" or whatever still have ignition on the left side, but it isn't a button...its a weird blob sticking out of the dash that you have to turn. Very bizarre choice on their part, IMO. Thankfully, my car doesn't have such frippery.

I read once that the reason for the ignition on the left side is so that drivers could start the car with one hand and select 1st gear with the other at LeMans. I think it's a neat piece of heritage.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
11/17/16 3:44 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: In reply to alfadriver: What org is FOCA, other than Formula One Constructors Association?

Sorry, mixed up my acronyms- ACO.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/17/16 3:52 p.m.

We know what kind of E36 M3 storm having kids in the back of a Corvette will cause.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/17/16 5:32 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: My kids ride in back and extra seats are a big reason we own a 911 instead of a Corvette or a Cayman.

We went through this with the BRZ twins. The bottom line being the question of whether crappy seats were better than none at all. There's no objective answer, only subjective.

mainlandboy
mainlandboy Reader
11/17/16 10:23 p.m.
Stefan wrote:
jstein77 wrote: Porsche really should make all 911s mid-engined. Maybe this race car is a portent of things to come.
That would make keeping the rear seats nearly impossible, which was the real reason for the design of the 911: Petrolicious Journal At least according to Sam Livingstone, but logically it makes some sense.

Lotus managed to make the Evora mid engine with rear seats, but it does not look too comfortable:

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/17/16 10:54 p.m.

In reply to mainlandboy:

Yes and Ferrari did it first with the 308GT4 and it was equally awkward looking.

Given how hard the 911 "purists" fought the potential that the 911 might go away in exchange for the 924/944/928, Porsche likely just accepted their fate and decided to focus on making the racing cars better and slowly making the 911 better.

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
11/18/16 12:17 a.m.

I feel like this isn't the first time Porsche has done this:

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
11/18/16 4:43 a.m.

That's kind of silly: there is nothing subjective about the fact that my young kids fit better in the back of my 964 than they would in a two seater. They've done multiple multi hour road trips and love it. They could not legally fit in a two seater along with my wife. That's pretty objective.

Kreb wrote:
mazdeuce wrote: My kids ride in back and extra seats are a big reason we own a 911 instead of a Corvette or a Cayman.
We went through this with the BRZ twins. The bottom line being the question of whether crappy seats were better than none at all. There's no objective answer, only subjective.
Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi Reader
11/18/16 10:31 a.m.
Kreb wrote:

I looked at a BRZ with my son to see if it would work. He had enough leg room in the back, but the seats are mounted so low his feet couldn't get under the front seat.

WAKman
WAKman New Reader
11/18/16 11:32 p.m.
mainlandboy wrote: Lotus managed to make the Evora mid engine with rear seats, but it does not look too comfortable:

I could get comfortable back there. . .
Terry

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/19/16 7:03 a.m.
Robbie wrote: Let's all remember they DID make a mid engined corvette. It was called the fiero.

Yeah, except they intentionally berkeleyed it up so it wouldn't out perform the Corvette

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
11/21/16 9:33 a.m.
WAKman wrote: I could get comfortable back there. . . Terry

Plenty of pillows...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iWMuTe6goEdmdgwaj4ZdttGYVStjnOjEYJgJFFyoCHy6CdrKljfMaSJDl4UZulhp